Anyone play the Fiddle?

I'm looking to pick one up. I've daydreamed of playing a fiddle for almost all my life. I think it's time to step up.

Any advice on buying one? I don't want Chinese crap, all I want is a good sound.

I'm not musically inept, I play some guitar and played piano and band instruments as a younger feller. Just wondering what I'm getting into.
Not to discourage you but two things you should be aware of if your not already. An American or European fiddle is going to be pricey new, look for a good used one and save yourself some cash. The other part of this is the bow, good ones are $$$

Second is that with the possible exception of the accordion, fiddles are some of the harshest sounding instruments in the hands of beginners. You'll most likely want to schedule your practice time when no one is around to keep the piece in your house.

Now once you get some chops and get your technique you'll be able to play IMO one of if not the most expressive instruments out there.

Good luck!
No discouragement taken. Just looking for honesty. I'm definitely lookin used. Trying to stay under $600-700 for the outfit.

Yeah I know fiddles are 1) loud and 2) awful when not done correctly. I will look at purchasing a good mute and acquiring some lessons

No discouragement taken. Just looking for honesty. I'm definitely lookin used. Trying to stay under $600-700 for the outfit.

Yeah I know fiddles are 1) loud and 2) awful when not done correctly. I will look at purchasing a good mute and acquiring some lessons

I can hook you up with the best teacher in town. He might be able to help you find a fiddle, too. Dan Kelly; used to play with Acuff on the Opry. He's a young fella, great player.

I just received a banjo of my late grandfather. I have no idea how to play it. Going to learn or get taught some how. Get a few more players and we could have a horrendous bluegrass band  :ignore: .

My grandpa purchased a $2000 USED setup from Gruhn's in Nashville years ago and it sounded awesome when the store clerk played it. Not so much in his hands haha.... He has developed arthritis though so he can't really practice or play it at all. From what I have been told the majority of it is in the bow technique. Much like a Banjo the fretting is pretty easy if you have played guitar before. It's the other hand that is tough. I have never played one though so this may all be false.

Guest FiddleDog

I've played fiddle since I was a kid.  The best luthier in town (imho) is Dustin Williams.  There are some pretty decent fiddles in white coming out of China that I'd take a look at.  Paul Shen comes to mind.  Great thing about Dustin is he will give you full value trade in towards upgrades on any fiddle you buy from him.  He's in downtown Nashville on 15th/Music Row area.  Also check out the Coda Bows.  I've used one and it was my main gigging bow back when I was a young man and playing out a whole lot.  Great tone, excellent maneuverability, warp proof, and very durable.  PM if you've got any questions.  I still know a few teachers that I'd point you at.

Edit - I just realized that you're in Knoxville...look at www.stringworks.com.  Those are quite well made and hold their value.  I had a buddy that had one and it was really nice.

Edited by FiddleDog

I have thought about a fiddle myself, but I have no musical talent so I decided not to get one.

I picked up a fiddle a few years ago, and tried playing it. My wife gave it away...

I hope you shoot better then you play then.