I got a big ol massive head. Any suggestions on some earmuffs that work?

I spent some money on some Howard Leight Impact Sports after reading a bunch of reviews and seeing how well they were rated. They've very nice, but will not seal around my ears no matter what way I adjust or try. This was even more evident when the guy next to me at the range was firing off and rattling the teeth out of my head. 

The best way I can explain it is it seems that all the pressure is at the top part of the earmuff and that forces the bottom to jut out a little. It makes for a poor seal on the bottom and leaving an open area on both ears to let sound in. If I apply just a little bit of pressure it seals perfectly.

The only problem with that is it's a little hard to shoot with my hands holding the ear muffs down. :P I reckon I could just wrap tape around my head several times and keep them pinned down.... 

I typically just use earplugs, but I thought I'd try and get some better protection for an indoor range. It sucks that these are around $50 and unusable and unreturnable by me.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which Howard Leights do you have, which model?  The reason I ask, I spent some considerable time on this subject a few months ago researching, because I too suffer from big head (litterally), and I found these to work perfectly for my head size, Howard Leight by Honeywell R-01902 Impact Pro Electronic Shooting Earmuffs.  The seal and fit are excellent. 

I thought that may be what you bought.  They are sometimes called the sport version or slim version.  My are bit bulky, in comparison, but after I tried them on, there was no comparison.  There was a post on this forum several months ago on ear muffs, I recall that some people had negative comments on the slim version which helped me out during my homework.  I am kinda of essentric on doing a due diligence homework when purchasing any purchase.  I have made too many mistakes or buyers remorse through the years.  Now adays, I listen and read many reviews, then I do the go and see thing, and then just pick the best retailer for the purchase, usually Amazon or Ebay.  It is vary rare that I buy from bricks and motars anymore for virtually anything (groceries the exception).

Edited by Runco
I use some cheap electronic muffs that I bought several pair of from a hardware store years ago, not sure of the brand as they have no markings on them.

They work good at suppressing sound, there is some static when the wind blows across the mic's, and I have to occasionally fidget with the battery to get the batteries to seat properly, however the sound reduction on them is good, the electronic noise inhibitor works, you can carry on a conversation with them on your head and they are fully adjustable to fit my large melon all the way down to fit my youngest kid.

Anyway I think most hardware stores carry working man's stuff like that, without the shooting sports store premium prices that we often get gouged with due to our hobby being so expensive.

I can also wear gel/foam plugs with those electronic muffs, which is a must when I am firing a SBR 5.56, those things are about as loud as loud gets! & even with both the muffs & plugs my ears still ring for a couple hours afterwards LOL.

I use the peltor 6s and love them. You can hunt around for them online should be able to them for close to $60. The only negative thing about them to me is it can be a booger changing batteries.

Dang right there my friend!! But I've used a few different words than "booger".

I use some cheap electronic muffs that I bought several pair of from a hardware store years ago, not sure of the brand as they have no markings on them.

They work good at suppressing sound, there is some static when the wind blows across the mic's, and I have to occasionally fidget with the battery to get the batteries to seat properly, however the sound reduction on them is good, the electronic noise inhibitor works, you can carry on a conversation with them on your head and they are fully adjustable to fit my large melon all the way down to fit my youngest kid.

Anyway I think most hardware stores carry working man's stuff like that, without the shooting sports store premium prices that we often get gouged with due to our hobby being so expensive.

I can also wear gel/foam plugs with those electronic muffs, which is a must when I am firing a SBR 5.56, those things are about as loud as loud gets! & even with both the muffs & plugs my ears still ring for a couple hours afterwards LOL.

You ever try to stand to a .338 Lapua?

You ever try to stand to a .338 Lapua?

Yup, very loud but I still have to give the loudest of the loud to the really short 6.5" barreled birdcaged 5.56 SBR's though, of course I burn through multiple 30rd magazines vs only a few rounds fired of .338L out of a 24" barrel + actual muzzle break, so maybe my ears ring longer because of the # of rounds sent down range instead of raw-decible levels.

Hard to say either way without using a sound-meter to measure it, anyone know off-hand?

I'll probably look into those Impact Pros. The cost is a bit more than the Peltor 6S series, but they look big, chunky, and that they should work for big noggins. Plus I like being able to connect my phone if I want to do some listening to stuff while shooting.

I have a hat that's 7 3/4 and it's a bit of a tight fit, but fits. Very small difference between us, but for whatever reason they wouldn't work out for me.

I had a member contact me about buying them, so I sold them to him and shipped them off Saturday. Maybe they will work out better for him.

• Administrator

Look for some that use the band that go around the back of your head / neck instead of over the top of it.  Peltor makes several, as do other manufacturers. 

That being said, If you really want to treat yourself right, invest in some custom molded in-ear protection.

Look for some that use the band that go around the back of your head / neck instead of over the top of it.  Peltor makes several, as do other manufacturers. 

That being said, If you really want to treat yourself right, invest in some custom molded in-ear protection.

David is right bite the bullet go to an ear dr get some made you will be glad you did

I still haven't found anything better than the Howard Leight Max ear plugs, wind up defaulting to them most of the time.

max.jpg?1345620850

Directions and free sample:

http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/max

Squeeze/rotate them down thing, stick 'em in and hold for about 30 seconds till they swell back up. My AR pistol sounds about like a subsonic pellet gun with them in. And no earphone bulges to interfere with stocks, which even my thin Howard Leight ones do.

Drawback: you can't hear normal conversation. Hardly at all.

- OS

I like earplugs better, especially when shooting rifles, since they don't interfere with a good cheek weld.

However, wearing earplugs at public ranges doesn't allow you to hear range commands very well, let alone the smack talk your shooting buddies are saying about your groups (wait...maybe that's a good thing).

Plus, ear muffs help mitigate the effects of bone conduction a little better. From what I've read, repeated exposure to loud sounds with only ear plugs can still cause hearing damage as the bones around the ears transmit sound. Wearing muffs can reduce that, but I'm not sure how much of real risk that poses.

Guest t.bird
Check out the peltor/3M's at Lowes. (The ones I'm talking about are red and black). I use my ears for a living and the noise reduction is the best I have come across, they expand to be pretty big and fit snug as well!
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the HL Sport also and I think the same head size, they don't seal good at the bottom below my ear next to my jaw. There isn't enough cushion to fill the gap properly... or maybe I just have a fat head