Oh Snap! End of the world!

Guest Verbal Kint

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody makes a gun so simple that even a cop can use it and it becomes an Icon? If you can't figure out what a safety is, you shouldn't be holding a gun anyway.:panic:

Hmm... I guess that explains why I chose the guns I'm planning to buy next; no safeties on any of 'em. :lol:

Jamie - Simple-minded ex-cop that likes revolvers. :death:

It's Never a bad time to kick a Glock owner. Even if its a year later.

Somebody makes a gun so simple that even a cop can use it and it becomes an Icon? If you can't figure out what a safety is, you shouldn't be holding a gun anyway.:panic:

Hey David I just remembered, can we have an IGNORE button? :lol:

buk

Guest Verbal Kint

Lets just hope that Verbal will eventually chime in,and bring this thread back up by saying his butt now comes with three holes!

:death:

My butt has always had three holes. :lol: It's like a bowling ball... just gets more finger action. :panic:

Guest drcoffee
and what is wrong with striker fired?

It's the whole half cocked thing. I want to be able to see the hammer is open or closed. It would be like having a 1911 cocked and NOT locked on your hip. Put your finger in the wrong place at the wrong time and bad things happen. I had just sold a Walther PPS with the stupid trigger safety thingy. If you carried it with one in the pipe, there is only a 5# trigger pull between you and a self inflicted gun shot wound. That's all good if its holstered but what if its just in your pocket. What if someone else handles it not knowing. That scared me. Plus, after shooting 300rds through it one day, I ended up with a blister on my trigger finger that took 3 weeks to heal. It sucked for shooting after that. HK has the safety block on the firing pin just in case you drop it. A trigger safety? A safety on the very spot you need to fire the gun? Too easy to screw up and who here has never had a twitchy finger with a full adrenalin rush. Have you ever bumped into something while walking with your gun? No, I need more to stop the gun from firing than a gizmo under my trigger finger. I know all about proper finger position and grip, yada yada yada. When you are pumped up on adrenalin time gets compressed and confused. I like the old fashion safety or a very long trigger pull (revolver). Just one man's opinion..

Guest Verbal Kint
Just one man's opinion..

To which you're fully entitled. To each their own.

However, I'll point out that these...

"What if someone else handles it not knowing." How often do you hand your loaded, and chambered, firearm to someone else? Anytime I unholster my handgun and hand it over to someone, I am positive that I have removed the magazine, ejected the round from the chamber, and visually verified that IS in fact empty. (Further racking the slide a few times, pointing the weapon to the floor, and squeezing the trigger on the empty gun to "decock" it.)

"Plus, after shooting 300rds through it one day, I ended up with a blister on my trigger finger that took 3 weeks to heal. It sucked for shooting after that." I had a Kimber 1911 that did the same thing. The sloppy job on cutting out the set-screw recess left a jagged edge that pretty much acted like a saw drill bit. Cut a perfectly circular hole / blister into my trigger finger. I prompty took a sanding stone bit to that and knocked off the edges, and never had the problem again before I eventually sold the gun. Likewise, I've swapped the ribbed "target" trigger in my Glock 23 for the smooth trigger. No problems there, now, either.

"Have you ever bumped into something while walking with your gun? No, I need more to stop the gun from firing than a gizmo under my trigger finger. I know all about proper finger position and grip, yada yada yada." Pretty sure you answered your own point there. Keep your finger off the trigger, and out of the trigger well, unless you have eyes on your target and planning to send lead downrange. If you follow that cardinal rule, it won't matter what you bump into or what bumps into you. Even if you're clearing a house or transitioning from one location to another, during a dynamic situation, you shouldn't have you're "bugger hook" on the trigger. Don't see this as an issue.

But... as I said... everyone is entitled to their opinion and personal preference. I've yet to have a problem with my G23. Still have both ass cheeks, with no new perforations in them... and the Glock has been the most reliable handgun to date, with zero malfunctions or incidents. Just proves that drilling with your carry weapon, following cardinal safety procedures, and a little common sense go a long way (not a slight against you, in any way).

:panic:

Okay Doc, so it's not about the striker at all then, just that you can't see the state of the hammer/striker, and no real manual safety... gotcha. You probably don't like a Springfield Armory XD either then, even though it has a grip safety.

Now, although I do agree with you about the silly little dingus Glock and some other people put on the trigger of their guns these days (it's pointless and serves no real purpose), I gotta ask: Why are you walking around with your gun in your hand, finger on the trigger, bumping into people???

Guest Verbal Kint

I gotta ask: Why are you walking around with your gun in your hand, finger on the trigger, bumping into people???

:panic:

I see we have the same question in mind.

Edited by Verbal Kint
...When you are pumped up on adrenalin time gets compressed and confused...

So when you are pumped up on adrenalin you won't have the coordination to keep your finger off the trigger or to not fire until you want to, but you will have the coordination to operate a safety?

Guest SUNTZU

Now, although I do agree with you about the silly little dingus Glock and some other people put on the trigger of their guns these days (it's pointless and serves no real purpose), I gotta ask: Why are you walking around with your gun in your hand, finger on the trigger, bumping into people???

I always do that at raves.

Guest db99wj

Verbal coming in for the action....hey, why don't you like us anymore? :panic:

Oh, and IMO, guns don't need to be in your pocket without a holster. Just my opinion, a lot of people carry pocket guns, Kel Tech's for example, without a holster. I, myself, would not do that. But that's just me.

• Administrator

Now, although I do agree with you about the silly little dingus Glock and some other people put on the trigger of their guns these days (it's pointless and serves no real purpose)

Really? :panic:

Tell you what... stand in front of me, let me point a loaded Glock at you and we'll do the trigger pull two ways. On the first pull, I'll just put my finger at the extreme top of the trigger's curvature, above the "dingus" and you have a better than 99.99999% chance of walking away from it.

On the second pull, I'll put my finger below the "dingus" and pull. You can tell me how effective the dingus was when you get out of the hospital.

David, you stand in front of me and point a Glock at me, and I'll have shot you long before you ever get to put your finger on the trigger. :lol:

Still, I know at least one person who's had the strap of his holster set his Glock off while re-holstering, and have read of several others having similar problems. So I tend to agree that putting a safety on a gun's trigger is like leaving the keys in your front door.

Oh, and on the last Glock I owned ( a G19 ), there was no room below the trigger "safety" to pull the trigger, and very little on either side of it or above it. And given that most things that are sturdy enough to produce a "bang" out of a Glock are generally bulky enough to catch the whole face of the trigger, it doesn't much matter anyhow.

Sorry, but in the grand scheme of things, the whole "trigger safety" idea is nothing but a silly idea thought up by or for some lawyer and nothing more.

Besides, if they're so good, why do so many people keep setting their Glocks off when they don't mean to? :panic:

• Administrator
David, you stand in front of me and point a Glock at me, and I'll have shot you long before you ever get to put your finger on the trigger. ;)

Oh, sorry... I missed the group_leo.png and group_mil.png logos beneath your screen name, so I neglected handle your ego with the proper amount of care. I've shot with plenty of cops and soldiers before. Can't say that being either automatically made all of them that good either and never saw one that was fast enough to get the drop on someone who already had the drop on them.

But whatever. :)

Guest drcoffee
So when you are pumped up on adrenalin you won't have the coordination to keep your finger off the trigger or to not fire until you want to, but you will have the coordination to operate a safety?

This really has come back to life, with a vengeance. These Glock guys have thin skin. The finger Dingus and the half cocked striker weird me out.

A human anatomy class would tell you that you have finer motor skills with the finger than you have with the thumb. When pumped up on adrenalin, the fingers will twitch more than the heavier muscle group of the thumb. So yes, I can control my thumb on the safety better than the finger.

I'm not a cop nor do I play one on TV so the chance of me walking through my house at 2am with a gun to check out a strange noise and bumping into a door half open or stepping on my kids crap on the floor or you name it, is very likely. My USP can be carried cocked and locked and if need be, a thumb flick away from firing.

• Administrator

I'm not a cop nor do I play one on TV so the chance of me walking through my house at 2am with a gun to check out a strange noise and bumping into a door half open or stepping on my kids crap on the floor or you name it, is very likely. My USP can be carried cocked and locked and if need be, a thumb flick away from firing.

I don't want to be that guy (the regulars will know what I mean) but... have you ever taken a serious training class where you were put into stressful situations with your gun, or are you just speaking from a perspective of "this is how things have played out in my head when I've imagined them" ?

Because, seriously, I used to think along the same lines as you until someone showed me just how much Murphy likes to f### with you when a situation is already bad.

It's eye opening.