Family Had Guns Stolen....

Not sure if this goes here, but my mother in law had her trailer broken into this past week. Among other things they took her entire gun safe. This thing was huge. 3ft wide and 2ft deep. They just ripped the whole thing up. Inside we're about 30 guns, war medals, all kinds of stuff. A lot were hunting rifles, some were pistols, 3 were M1 Carbines, and one was a coach gun that had been in the family for at least 3 generations. It belonged to a decorated vet that died saving his kids from their burning house, its sentimental....

The most disturbing thing was a box shaped urn containing my father in law's ashes.... Who needs this?

Anyway, just giving everyone a heads up. Any help would be appreciated, just keep an eye out for anyone that's acquired a lot of older guns recently....
Yeah, that's what we're figuring. She had been away a couple days, so we think they made multiple trips. They even knew to bring a dolly for the safe!

I'll keep y'all posted. All the firearms were registered to her and we had a list with every number on it! I hope someone tries to pawn one!

I hate to say it, but sounds like who ever did this knew what they where after.  I know I am just stating the obvious, but Someone knew that safe was there.

Yep....I agree.  I'd be looking at someone that fit the above bill.  Might have come in with a friend or relative. I don't even like to let people know I have a safe....you just never know.  Well....people that know where I live I mean...LOL

Edited by Randall53

I'll keep y'all posted. All the firearms were registered to her and we had a list with every number on it! I hope someone tries to pawn one!

Firearms aren't registered in TN :)  BUT, you can call up your local PD with the serial #'s and get them on the stolen gun list :)

I wish you the best!  Its got to be a terrible feeling to have prized possessions like firearms taken :(

Firearms aren't registered in TN :)  BUT, you can call up your local PD with the serial #'s and get them on the stolen gun list :)

I wish you the best!  Its got to be a terrible feeling to have prized possessions like firearms taken :(

Ah, I wasn't sure how that worked. They were all given to to her, and when they were they said they had some involvement with police. I thought she said she had to register them to receive them from her dad in N.C. I have no idea when it came to that stuff, but they did turn over all the numbers. Now we play the waiting game....

Yeah, the coach gun, medals, and urn are the worst things. Most were guns her dad had just traded for over the years, but still....

There was a news report on Channel 5 last night about a Urn with ashes being thrown in a yard near Riverdale High School.

Thanks for the tip! When I started reading it, I thought that was him for sure! It was even a box urn and everything! I guess this happens more often than we thought, because the inscribed name didn't match our man. What are people thinking?

It seems like every time I hear of something like this with my family or friends, it's always the family meth head.  I've got several examples unfortunately.  So, I hate to ask, but any meth heads in the family or family friend?

Lol Yeah, there's one in every family! We're looking into it, but they're so ate up now I doubt they'd have the muscle. After years of pill addiction, they're almost immobile.... Still never know though!

We have a gun show in Germantown (Memphis) this weekend. I'll keep an eye out for Carbines and a coach gun wandering around the floor.

Lp

I appreciate it. I know there were 3-4 Colt Woodsmans and a Colt Marksman in there too! I thought about making the trip out to Memphis for the show myself, I'm just afraid I won't make any money and that's a drive! I went to a gun show in Kingsport in January I believe, and went the the hole $80. I guess knives don't sell like guns. Lol

Lol Yeah, there's one in every family! We're looking into it, but they're so ate up now I doubt they'd have the muscle. After years of pill addiction, they're almost immobile.... Still never know though!

I appreciate it. I know there were 3-4 Colt Woodsmans and a Colt Marksman in there too! I thought about making the trip out to Memphis for the show myself, I'm just afraid I won't make any money and that's a drive! I went to a gun show in Kingsport in January I believe, and went the the hole $80. I guess knives don't sell like guns. Lol

Well with the stabbing in TX yesterday or so, mark them as Pre Ban knifes and double the price.  Seems to work with guns.

Well with the stabbing in TX yesterday or so, mark them as Pre Ban knifes and double the price.  Seems to work with guns.

I was trying to think of a way to flip that! Maybe powder coat them black, install a rail on the handle, maybe make them out refurbished polymer from a 30 round mag. Lol

Thanks rugerla1 !

I would visit the pawn shops in Newport, Morristown, Jefferson City and Maryville, likely they are not that stupid to pawn them in Sevierville, but likely in the adjacent towns.  I would also visit the flea markets on highway 66, at 407 and at Dunns Market on middle creek.  Likely these items will flow out to these sites this weekend or already have.  Not all pawn shops follow the law in these towns, they don't always turn in the numbers to the local police and when they do they can make an accidental transpose of serial numbers.  Hopefully, one will turn up that might lead to the thief. 

We will definitely be checking pawn shops anywhere near the area. ...

You've done detailed police report, right?

I think maybe all TN pawnshops have to report guns they take in to each county sheriff office? I know Knox does.  Think they may have to do check on stolen gun list too. Not sure how good the networking is around the state, probably a lot better than it was when I had a tangential involvement in the system.

You can ask detectives in your county about the finer points. Knox had two or three folks in detective stolen property division seemed mostly dedicated to just pawn shop stuff, and that was 15 years ago or more.

So sorry this happened to y'all; I know it's just a devastating feeling.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

We will definitely be checking pawn shops anywhere near the area. Everything about this points to younge stupid people. They tried to break into the safe by knocking off the keypad.... Idiots. It may a while before they even get to whats inside! Lol

This is true, the dumba$$'s may even drop the safe off in a ditch somewhere because they know they can't get in it. That's what really pisses me off about it. They could end up lost forever when they should've left them where they belonged in the first place. I had a good friend last year who got all of his guns stolen from his house (he now has a very well mounted safe). The total value of the guns stolen was literally nothing as far as resale value, but they were passed down to him from his Dad only a few months before the thieves got them. Idiots walked right by a thousand dollar bow as they ran out the front door. I'd love to have a half an hour with those pieces of sh!t.

A cheap sawall will cut into the safe in just a minute or so, and torches will be in it quicker than that.   However, they are likely dumb enough and greedy enough to sell the safe for scrap steel after the contents is emptied.  I would also check the scrap steel buyers, I believe there is one there on 25/70 (Ashville Hwy), between what the old timers called the Handy Dandy and the Jasper Jones.