Part time carry

Guest confidence

Guest confidence

I have now met nearly a dozen people in my area who have an HCP but only carry some of the time. In fact, now that I think about it, I don't know anyone (in person) who carries full time except for my friends online. As a new HCP holder myself, I find this surprising. Starting the first day I got my permit, I have carried wherever the law permits me to. I can't recall be separated from my firearm. I asked one of them the other day why they don't carry all the time and they didn't provide any compelling reason. Another one I asked said it was in their car and that they don't always carry it on their person.

I guess I'm just kind of hard core about it. I dunno. Maybe their holsters are uncomfortable? I will say that it was surprisingly harder than I thought to find holsters that fit your needs/preferences.

Why do you think some people choose to only carry part time/rarely even though they have the HCP?

I dunno, why doesn't everyone have health insurance? Why don't people wear seat belts all of the time? Why do some carry a firearm everyday to prevent their untimely demise, yet get most of their artery clogging nutrition from a drive thru?
  • Like 3
As for me the only time I'm not carrying on my person is at work. As for other people maybe they aren't comfortable carrying, holster or mentally. I would say that less than half of all hcp holders even carry 1 time a month, for a lot of people its more about the novelty of having one that the opportunity to excersize ones rights.
Guest Ceolas

Why do you think some people choose to only carry part time/rarely even though they have the HCP?

Personally, I would carry all of the time if I could.

But my job requires that I visit current and potential clients' offices all day long, and the possibility that my company can lose sales if the holster is seen trumps the need to carry.

Also, my office building where I rent space has a new insurance requirement that prohibits ccw. I'm hit and miss on respecting that.

Guest confidence

I would say that less than half of all hcp holders even carry 1 time a month, for a lot of people its more about the novelty of having one that the opportunity to excersize ones rights.

This makes sense. That's not the same choice I've made, but I can respect that. I guess I need to just chill and respect the fact that full time carry is not for everyone. Thanks for the various input.

Guest Joshua__423

I can't carry at work, so If I'm not going to work, at work, or coming home from work,  I carry. I don't feel comfortable without it.

I work at a nuclear plant so I cant have a gun on site. During the week this is the only time I leave the house which means Im only able to carry on the weekend. I dont like it but its federal time if I have a gun or ammo on in my vehicle.

My wife has hers and doesn't carry at all. Im glad she took the class because she learned about her firearm. She doesnt want to shoot much with me so the experience was a good thing. I carry everyday myself. The good thing about her having hers if we are out eating and I decide to drink a beer I can put it in her purse  :yum:

Guest 270win

I carry my gun on me or in my car just about all the time.  I mainly carry my handgun on me when I work and see customers/pick up money or go into Memphis.  I feel pretty safe in the town i live in.  I know anything can happen anywhere but there are times, especially in my own town, where i leave my gun in my car because i get tired of carrying it during the week.  If I felt like i really needed to carry a gun in my neighborhood, I probably would not live in my neighborhood or town honestly.  When I go to less hood places than Memphis, like the Ozarks or Smokey Mtns, I mainly just leave my gun in the car and of course keep one in my hotel room.

Edited by 270win

I'd say that the majority of those with an HCP don't really know how to carry. There is definitely a learning curve to it; I have a whole drawer full of holsters that didn't work for me, but it's all trial and error. Most people couldn't be bothered.

Plus, some people with HCPs think they know when they need to carry and when they don't.  :doh:

Edited by daddyo
Guest PapaB

I guess some people are psychic and know when they'll need to defend themselves. I always assume my day will be peaceful and without incident. I always carry where allowed because, if I'm wrong about my day, I don't want my next of kin saying so.

As Ronald Reagan said; "trust, but verify". I think his advice could be expanded to say 'expect good things to happen but be prepared for bad'.

I dont know how many times I've heard something like, "Well If I'm going to a bad area, I'll carry..."    Personally, EVERY area I go to, even my home, I consider a "bad" area, LOL.

Edited by barewoolf

I heat this, or some variation of it all the time.  "But I live in Germantown, so I only carry when I'm going into Memphis." is a real common one around here.  Many people believe that there are only certain areas where you "can" have a problem.

I dont know how many times I've heard something like, "Well If I'm going to a bad area, I'll carry..."    Personally, EVERY area I go to, even my home, I consider a "bad" area, LOL.

If I'm not inside my building at work, I don't just have it, it is on me. I too, hear people say they only carry if they think they will need it. But I have yet to get one of them to predict some winning lottery numbers for me. We all know that anything can can happen anywhere and that you carrying may not help if said situation starts by you being shot first. That being said, I want every possible chance to protect me, my family, and innocent people that may be attacked, robbed, etc.

For me it's not about any fear or safety issues I just made up my mind that if i was going to the trouble and expense to get setup I would carry. Lucky for me my employer lets me keep one in my car at work so other then those 8 hours if my pants are on I'm packin. 

Joe W. 

• Like 2
Guest MiniGunGal

Some of you have heard my opinion on this previously, however, I was hoping the "parking lot/trunk carry" bill would change things.  No luck.  As a full time student (ADULT student), I specifically checked with the head of security, and was informed that Tennessee Board of Regents is going to draft "rules" stating that there will be no weapons allowed not only on campus, INCLUDING in vehicles.

Therefore, personally, living an hour away from campus, I was specifically told, "If you park across the street in McDonald's parking lot, we can't touch you."  Other than the school exception, I attempt to carried 24/7 if possible (with the work restriction).  If not on me, it's in the car. 

It's such a pleasure on a day I don't have to go to campus - I feel like a kid again - I get to wear my weapon!!!!  :rock:

Guest KiloFive

Because crime only happens when you are totally prepared for it? We had a technical word for these guys when I was a cop, 'victims'.

My opinion: Gun, knife, teeth plus an appetite, or combo of either...You'd better be armed...mind AND body. The Bible basically says that one who doesn't provide for their family is no better than an infidel. (We shouldn't need a religion to state what should be obvious.) Safety is also what the head of a family is to provide. It is not a choice. It is an obligation as an adult.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Same here. I carry everywhere even at home. I know several that have permits but none carry all the time, I would say most rarely carry on their person. The boss's wife always seems to have one with her in the front office and I know one guy that always has one in his truck.