Murfreesboro Police gun buyback this Saturday

Guest AmericanWorkMule

Unloaded firearms aren't covered by 39-17-1359, as that law only covers permit holders.  ..

You've said that before, but I disagree. There is nothing in the statute that say it applies only to permit holders. I see no reason why it wouldn't be a separate charge that could be added to that of unlawful carry for non-permit holders.

- OS

Guest AmericanWorkMule

It is insensitive to Liberals? poor lil baby

Arizona law forces cities to resell guns from buy-back programs

(Reuters) - Arizona Governor Jan Brewer on Monday signed legislation forcing municipalities to resell firearms from gun buy-back programs rather than destroy them, closing a loophole in the conservative state's laws.

"This action by the governor is not only outrageous, but it is insensitive for us now to be putting these guns back on the streets," said state Senator Steve Gallardo, a Democrat and a leading opponent of the measure. "That's just plain wrong."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/30/us-usa-guns-arizona-idUSBRE93T04120130430

Lets look at the law:

39-17-1359

a1:

An individual, corporation, business entity or local, state or federal government entity or agent thereof is authorized to prohibit the possession of weapons by any person who is at a meeting conducted by, or on property owned, operated, or managed or under the control of the individual, corporation, business entity or government entity.

a2:

The prohibition in subdivision (a)(1) shall apply to any person who is authorized to carry a firearm by authority of § 39-17-1351.

As you can see, it only applies to permit holders.

You've said that before, but I disagree. There is nothing in the statute that say it applies only to permit holders. I see no reason why it wouldn't be a separate charge that could be added to that of unlawful carry for non-permit holders.

- OS

Edited by JayC

Lets look at the law:

"The prohibition in subdivision (a)(1) shall apply to any person who is authorized to carry a firearm by authority of § 39-17-1351."

As you can see, it only applies to permit holders.

How you get that? It doesn't say it only applies to permit holders. It's merely making it plain that permit holders are included.

Look at the first part of statute you quoted for confirmation.

"...authorized to prohibit the possession of weapons by any person..."

- OS

• Like 1
Guest carter

Interesting question. Supposedly, any gun safe to sale and working they have to sale or trade to a FFL. This according to a new TN law.

from an MTSU police officers mouth... they trade there guns they confiscate in towards new firearms for the department...not sure if all departments do this but they are worth something to manufactures evidently 

from an MTSU police officers mouth... they trade there guns they confiscate in towards new firearms for the department...not sure if all departments do this but they are worth something to manufactures evidently 

I'd call mostly BS on that. Glock, Sig, S&W do not want a hodgepodge of used guns.  Nor do their distributors.

No mechanism exists to turn some Hi-Points, Jennings, Rossis, and sawed off double barrels into Glock 22s, unless the dept. has them sold at auction.

Their own service weapons can be "recycled" through the manufacturers' distributors though, that's how you see these Glock police turn in sales by CDNN, GT Distributors, etc. Lots of Mini 14s have gone this route through the years also.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I'd call mostly BS on that. Glock, Sig, S&W do not want a hodgepodge of used guns.  Nor do their distributors.

No mechanism exists to turn some Hi-Points, Jennings, Rossis, and sawed off double barrels into Glock 22s, unless the dept. has them sold at auction.

Their own service weapons can be "recycled" through the manufacturers' distributors though, that's how you see these Glock police turn in sales by CDNN, GT Distributors, etc. Lots of Mini 14s have gone this route through the years also.

- OS

I have no idea whether it’s true or not, but MTSU only has 30 cops. I doubt they deal directly with any of the manufacturers. Distributors would want guns (other than the junk).

Just called and it's canceled again due to the expected rain

Rain all weekend :(  Rained all last weekend, and next weekend, its supposed to do the same!   I WANT A SUNNY WEEKEND TO GO SHOOTING DANGIT!!!!! ::rant over::

LOL

Guest AmericanWorkMule

ok, now they are just teasing us

Just called and it's canceled again due to the expected rain

I know for a fact S&W has taken crap and used guns directly and traded new guns to small departments. I don't consider Atlanta small but they have traded some with Atlanta PD. The S&W LE representative came around my old department trying to get our buisness, we could have gotten a better deal on Glocks through GT's.

- OS

The weapons will be checked by serial number for a stolen report. Stolen guns that are recovered will be returned to their owners unless it is illegal to do so. Those turned in will be listed in an order submitted to a court asking them to be awarded to the agency. These can be bid on by licensed and qualified law enforcement firearms dealers. They can be traded to the dealer for ammunition, body armor or toward other weapons to be used by the agency. This is also the process for weapons used in crimes that are confiscated by a law enforcement agency.

The only time weapons may be destroyed is by obtaining a court order,when they are inoperable or are unsafe and have been certified as so in an affidavit to the court by the Chief of Police, Sheriff or Drug Task Force director ,etc.

The weapons will be checked by serial number for a stolen report. Stolen guns that are recovered will be returned to their owners unless it is illegal to do so. Those turned in will be listed in an order submitted to a court asking them to be awarded to the agency. These can be bid on by licensed and qualified law enforcement firearms dealers. They can be traded to the dealer for ammunition, body armor or toward other weapons to be used by the agency. This is also the process for weapons used in crimes that are confiscated by a law enforcement agency.

The only time weapons may be destroyed is by obtaining a court order,when they are inoperable or are unsafe and have been certified as so in an affidavit to the court by the Chief of Police, Sheriff or Drug Task Force director ,etc.

I doubt that. There would be absolutely no use in spending the taxpayer’s money by making a claim that you are taking guns off the street if you are going to turn around and sell them; putting them back on the street. I’d be interested to hear from the Murfreesboro Police Chief on this.
I know I'm new around here, but Murfreesboro is only a short ride away. Assuming it still hasn't happened, I'd be willing to go up with a couple hundred cash and see what happens. Edited by KKing

I know for a fact S&W has taken crap and used guns directly and traded new guns to small departments. I don't consider Atlanta small but they have traded some with Atlanta PD. The S&W LE representative came around my old department trying to get our buisness, we could have gotten a better deal on Glocks through GT's.

My wife bought me a Glock 22 for Valentines Day at GT that was part of a trade in form some Police Department somewhere around the Atlanta Area.  They do take trade in just not complete junk though they probably have some process to take junk too and sell it to pawn shops or other interested FFLs.

S&W has started taken trade ins from departments, they are the only manufacturer I know of dealing directly with departments. Because of them dealing directly they have lost a lot, if not most of their LE dealers. I have no clue what S&W is doing with their trade ins. Being that the LE dealers aren't stocking S&W except for a few retail models I doubt GT's and other dealers are buying them from S&W.
Guest carter

- OS

I'm not saying every gun turn in is a piece of crap... there was an instance a few years ago where they found a kid on greek row with several firearms they kept... and they weren't crap by any means... 

Guest AmericanWorkMule

I haven't heard any word around the campfire. Does anyone know if this is still a go?

Edited by AmericanWorkMule