Smith & Wesson AR-15

Guest ebidr

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. As long as you don't get raped either way. Pricing is coming back down toward normal.

Especially since you can't find reasonably priced ammo for it anyway.

S&W will take care of you either way should it come down to that.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Be aware the new sport model since January or so doesn't "sport" that fantastic 1/8 twist 5r rifled barrel but instead a 1/9 twist non 5r that may or may not be melonite coated.

To me this knocks it down a few pegs and I would personally look at some other entry options or the rapidly decreasing used market.
Bought a "tactical" model years ago when they first came out. I still have it and have yet to have a problem despite running some nasty frangible ammo quite a bit. I imagine mine is inherently more reliable because it is "tactical" lol. If i had to do it over again though i would probably buy a base model and go from there since I tend to change parts out anyway. Go for it if the price is right.

I have 2 of them, one is a upscale model with a forward assist and dust cover, the other is the sport, both are flawless, accurate and reliable.   The sport I put one of those bumpfire stocks on for fun, and the abuse of that has not caused any problems after probably 500 rounds or so fired in 5ish round bursts.

Be aware the new sport model since January or so doesn't "sport" that fantastic 1/8 twist 5r rifled barrel but instead a 1/9 twist non 5r that may or may not be melonite coated.

To me this knocks it down a few pegs and I would personally look at some other entry options or the rapidly decreasing used market.

Saw this on another forum, been meaning to check, and seems you're exactly right.

The 1:8 5R spec is no longer mentioned for the Sport on SW site:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_786006_-1_787653_757785_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

And yes, that does knock it down from a "super best buy" by a notch or three to me.

Matter of fact, it doesn't even mention twist rate at all, let alone the 5R or Melonite spec.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Recommendations?

Should I buy new or used?

I'd go for a used Sport that old enough for you to get the Melonite 5r barrel w/ 1/8 twist, like the others said.

is my vote as well, so you can make sure you get 

look at the S&W M&P15T it's a really great rifle..

The new tactical is non 5r non melonite 1/9 twist also... (I got one of them...).

The new tactical also trades the troy buis for cheap magpul buis and the troy rail with a S&W branded rail made by I think UTG. Bummer all the way around....

They still shoot good just not comparable to the older barrel (eventually I change the barrels on all of mine anyways lol).
Just got my Sport this past Thursday at a LGS in KY and it was $629 plus tax...and they didn't even charge for a BC. Can't wait to mod it out! I haven't shot it yet, but Nutnfancy does a great review on YouTube.

XDs .45 Bi-Tone : Talon Grips
Mossberg 500 : Blkhwk Recoil Reducing Stock : Archangel Side Saddle

Price VS. Product.

Smith & Wesson has done a great job of making all the options on their M&P line available. Just compare the price VS. the options and the specifications you want.  I paid the extra money for the 15T, just depends on what you want.

The M&P 308 is out now; I got to get me one of these. biggrin.gif

Just got my Sport this past Thursday at a LGS in KY and it was $629 plus tax...and they didn't even charge for a BC. Can't wait to mod it out! I haven't shot it yet, but Nutnfancy does a great review on YouTube.

What does it say on the barrel re twist, etc?

How much of difference does the new barrell make?

For overall general purposes, like hitting COM at a given distance,  probably not a lot. But for precision target use, somewhat significant.

The 5R rifling seems quite well regarded as an improvment among those in the know. Also the twist rate is an important factor -- the 1:8 twist is a great compromise which will shoot all weight bullets adequately, but once you go to 1:7 or 1:9, you've weighted performance so that either  < or > of 55gr projectiles lose optimal stability.

The melonite finish was generally highly regarded, most mavens agreeing that it beats the average chrome lining in durability,  and now the barrels are neither melonite nor chrome lined.

- OS

Have they given any reasoning for the change?

Same reason Taco Bell sells the Grande Meal for same price with two fewer tacos, pretty safe to say.

The real mystery was how their best barrel was on their cheapest rifle in the first place.

- OS

I'll have to withhold judgement on the new barrels on the sport-line until I'm able to get my grubby paws on one & put it through it's paces.

My informal shooting suggests that my Sport with original barrel is somewhat more accurate than my other two AR rifles, even though they have pretty well regarded  FN-made barrels (chrome lined, btw)  -- but with my setups and skill level that diff is relatively small.

The twist rate vs bullet weight is just the well documented physics of firearms, and I suppose the 5R configuration is too, but not sure. Pretty sure melonite vs chrome lined durability has been documented too, but can't point right off to a definitive source.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot