The word Actually and others

I swear people now days have gotten to where they use the word "Actually" in almost every paragraph that they say. It is over used badly in my opinion. For example: I actually caught the ball. And here is the same sentence as it should be in my opinion : I caught the ball. There is no reason to add the word "actually" .

I am 40 yrs old and it makes no sense to me to talk like this and add other unnessasary words.  

How do you guys feel ? Am I crazy or what ? I admit that I am anal about things but this drives me up the wall.

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 1
Guest 6.8 AR

Yeh, it's to the point that a lot of people don't know the meaning of that word, or think they are making

themselves sound smarter than they are. I've noticed it, too.

I swear people now days have gotten to where they use the word "Actually" in almost every paragraph that they say. It is over used badly in my opinion. For example: I actually caught the ball. And here is the same sentence as it should be in my opinion : I caught the ball. There is no reason to add the word "actually" .
 I am 40 yrs old and it makes no sense to me to talk like this and add other unnessasary words.  
 How do you guys feel ? Am I crazy or what ?

You're crazy. Actually, I don't know anyone that does that. Just part of the reason I'm happy to not talk to people as much as possible. Most people have rudimentary understanding of the english language's rules but can tell you every year of draft/trade for every player on their favorite team. Words are power & knowledge is more valuable than gold.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

With schools in the situation they are, it's no wonder that kids aren't learning not only proper English or anything else for that matter. A local Elementary school in my area has 30 different languages among the children there. How can anyone possibly teach or learn in that environment? 

I believe that we can certainly expect language skills to get worse rather than better!

Oh and another one is " you know what I'm saying" . Dont get me started on that one , but I am sure  that 6.8 AR knows what I am talking about on that one , I hear that  all the time ! This phrase will go on and on after every sentence that the person says .

Edited by tercel89
Guest RedLights&Sirens
I blame it on reality TV about stupid psuedo celebrities that we are supposed to idolize and pay more attention, while politicians push their adgendas unnoticed.
Guest Torrin

How do you guys feel ? Am I crazy or what ? I admit that I am anal about things but this drives me up the wall.

To be honest with you, I actually don't know what the problem is.  Literally everyone I know uses actually and it seems to be used with good affect. So, you know, for me personally, my humble opinion of the subject is we use using our language quite good, I mean, you know what I am saying right?

:D

Edited by Torrin

To be honest with you, I actually don't know what the problem is.  Literally everyone I know uses actually and it seems to be used with good affect. So, you know, for me personally, my humble opinion of the subject is we use using our language quite good, I mean, you know what I am saying right?

You are on thin ice there young man ! :rofl:

• Like 2

I think that there are some instances where a phrase such as, "I actually caught the ball," make perfect sense.  I take such a phrase to mean that the person's eye/hand coordination are not usually very good, that the person is clumsy or that there is some, other reason to doubt that the person would have the ability to catch the ball.  In other words, it is used to differentiate from the expected outcome, as in, "Despite being all thumbs and stumbling over my own feet - not once but twice - while chasing after it, somehow I actually caught the ball.  Can you believe that?"

From Merriam-Webster online (paying particular attention to definition #2):

ac·tu·al·ly adverb \ˈak-ch(ə-w)ə-lē, -sh(ə-w)ə-lē; ˈaksh-lē, ˈaks-\

Definition of ACTUALLY
1: in act or in fact : really <nominally but not actually independent — Karl Loewenstein> <won't actually arrive for an hour>

2: in point of fact —used to suggest something unexpected <he could actually read the Greek>

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

Well played!

Guest 6.8 AR

Oh and another one is " you know what I'm saying" . Dont get me started on that one , but I am sure  that 6.8 AR knows what I am talking about on that one , I hear that  all the time ! This phrase will go on and on after every sentence that the person says .

The suthin version is, "yaknowwhatimean?"

I wrote this a while back, but it covers most of my grammatical pet peeves. If you are sensitive about these things too....DON'T READ THIS. 

It ceases to amaze me how people's "I could care less" attitude about diction always seems to extend farther then there grasp of what they presume to be good english. I get exacerbated when continual dispersements of missed used words/phrases hear and their makes it hard too flesh out what is been inferred by whoever the speaker/arthur is.

Irregardless, I try not too let it aversely effect me for all intensive purposes. I just discretely except there elicit use of words and get passed it or make an ironical complement on there flare with words. Sometimes I choose to precede in an alternate method by diffusing the situation with a preemptory comment about the whether. But in all cases I do my upmost to see their prospective. After all, I'm no grammer progeny, myself.

If you just read that and "don't get it", you're who I'm talking about...

• Like 1
Guest Torrin

I wrote this a while back, but it covers most of my grammatical pet peeves. If you are sensitive about these things too....DON'T READ THIS. 

If you just read that and "don't get it", you're who I'm talking about...

OMG, that is terrr'able (said like Charles Barkley).  I HATE "Irregardless" most of all and the idiots at Webster put it in the dictionary!

...For example: I actually caught the ball. And here is the same sentence as it should be in my opinion : I caught the ball. There is no reason to add the word "actually" .

"I actually caught the ball" is quite accurately descriptive, if one would generally not expect or be expected to catch it.

Same as saying, "against all the odds, I caught the ball", in fewer words.

Like me saying, "I actually busted 5 clays in a row". ;)

- OS

• Like 2
Guest 6.8 AR

"I actually caught the ball" is quite accurately descriptive, if one would generally not expect or be expected to catch it.

Same as saying, "against all the odds, I caught the ball", in fewer words.

Like me saying, "I actually busted 5 clays in a row". ;)

- OS

That's true, Mac, but he is referring to the overuse of the word. There are a lot of folks who use one word to

death. In every sentence, using the word, you'd wonder if the person "actually" expected to wake up that morning.:D