My first 9mm - input wanted

CZ guys - I need to give them a look. Know anyone in the Nashville area that stocks them? I didn't see them last night at Franklin Gun Shop but I think CZ's site listed them as a dealer. I'll have to double check.

I have 3 CZs currently, a P-01, a CZ 75 Shadow, and a CZ 82. You're welcome to check them out when you have time.

I bought one at Outpost Armory and one at Guns & Leather. I haven't been to G&L in a while, but I was just at OA a couple of weeks ago and they had 4 or 5 CZ, IIRC.

you really cant go wrong with any of the guns on that list.  I myself am an M&P man.  Own the pro 9mm, 4.25 inch 9mm and now a shield also in 9mm.  If your looking primarily for a target gun the pro is definitely worth a look.  If they don't have one you can rent send me a PM and i'm sure we can work out a time where you can shoot mine.  one note for the M&P's  an apex trigger system while not absolutely necessary makes a significant difference in shooting the gun.  

The TACOPS is gonna be around the top end of your budget and maybe a little over if bought new, but they are great guns

I will second this.. I have an M&P 9mm with the Apex trigger kit and i love it!

Guest Mike P

Just out of curiosity, which generation Glock did you hold? Only reason I ask and no I'm noy trying to steer you but..... even though I was always partial to them all previous grips prior to the Gen 4's were my only real complaint. They just felt bulky and huge. Once the Gen4's came out, I no longer own any previous Gen's. Just saying.

I had an XDM 4.5 bi tone.

Pros- Shot well, good trigger, well made.

Cons- over done grip. Bore axis way to high. The stainless slide held heat like nothing else I've owned. Having to make or buy a special tool to remove the extractor, I bought one from Springer Precision. The absolute biggest gripe I have against them is that stupid striker retaining pin in the slide. Reportedly{when i had it but never verified with Springfield} if you remove it your warranty is void. If that's the case how are you supposed to detail strip the fire arm. I had three break under normal use. Never disabled the gun but they did break. Again I bought XDM specific tools for removing and installing the striker retaining pin. Wasn't necesary but I bought them anyway and always had 3-5 spare pins after the second one broke.

Just my personal $0.02

Edited by Mike P
I love my M&P VTAC. Easily my favorite pistol. Mine came with an APEX hard sear that the previous owner had installed. Love the trigger on it. The other nice thing about the M&P is that the switchable back straps really do make a huge difference in how the gun handles and feels in your hand.

That's where I would look for a great first pistol. With your budget you could buy a new M&P and have plenty of money left for your second 9mm which you will probably buy a month or so after your first. ;)

Ther are many good 9 mm pistols available.  Try to find and fire the models you're considering and one will stand out as the best choice for you.  The largest problem may be finding 9 mm ammunition.

First handgun ever eh?

Well while all of the above are decent semi-autos, I typically recommend (highly) that first-timer handgun owners get a revolver, at least to start out with.

From a safety standpoint not only are they easier to determine if they are loaded/unloaded, the longer, harder DA trigger pulls make accidental/negligent discharges less likely.

From a shooting standpoint, they will help you focus on the basics, making you a better pistolero' in the long-run.

If a good quality revolver is simply "out of the question" take a hard look at Sig P226 with the DAK (not SRT) trigger group, you might not appreciate it right away but trust me it'll make you a much more consistant, much smoother & much more accureate shooter than the SRT (which will IMHO make you develop very sloppy shooting habits).

G'luck & keep us posted.
Beretta 90Two - Obviously this model has a few upgrades over the 92FS. I have no strong feelings towards or against this one until I actually shoot it. Feel in my hand was also neutral but like the full grip swap options and full metal body.

I'd just point out that this is safety on in the down position and off in the up position. That always seems awkward to me because I want my thumb to be on the grip ready to fire when I click off the safety. Maybe my technique is wrong, but I won't buy a gun with a safety that works opposite to my natural instincts.

I had a Gen 1 (or 2?) Glock 17, but I never liked the grip.  The angle was all wrong and the grip was too thick. The Gen 4 grips on my Glock 26 are much better for my hand. The Walther is another good gun to consider.  The P99 has a decocker.

I wanted to say thanks again for everyone's input!!! My gun is shipping out today and I'll be heading to D&T for the transfer Wednesday night. After I get everything, I'll post some pictures so everyone knows what my final decision was.  :)

I wanted to say thanks again for everyone's input!!! My gun is shipping out today and I'll be heading to D&T for the transfer Wednesday night. After I get everything, I'll post some pictures so everyone knows what my final decision was.  :)

Hehe I know I know! Gotta get you down here so I...err..I mean YOU can shoot it some