255 members have voted

1. 1. Do you open, conceal carry, or both.

• Conceal
    • Open
    • Both

CC 99% of the time when in public places. I will OC on my property or at my business and to and from, and may get out of the car OC while pumping gas late at night if I plan to pay at the pump. Not a fan of drawing attention so I never have felt completely comfortable with OC but to each is own. We are fortunate to live in TN where we can OC if we choose to, I just choose not to most of the time. I find that I am leaning toward IWB or OWB with shirt tail out during the warmer months and OWB or shoulder rig with jacket or heavy cover garment in the cooler months. It is nice to not worry violating any laws by printing or the occasional wardrobe incident exposing your carry weapon accidentally.

Here is a link to an incident that happened in Knoxville in '07 with a Coal Creek Armory employee who OC'd into Walmart and had an issue with the a KPD officer who was there on an unrelated call; http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/sep/22/gun-owner-receives-apology/. Makes for interesting reading. The officer was totally ignorant to the law and it went all the way to the Police Chief resulting in an apology.

As a business owner I will say that it could be alarming to me or my employees if someone came into our facility OC. We do not get a lot of unannounced walk-in traffic so any time someone comes in it is usually cause for a bit of alarm, especially if after dark, we are open until 11:00pm 4 nights a week and I work all the evening shifts. It would be a little awkward until we determined what the person's intentions are. We sometimes get people coming in asking for directions or they are lost and mistakenly came to our business instead of the place up the street, etc. It may work both ways though because the person coming in may encounter me OC when they come into our facility. I have had some questionable looking folks come in acting very strange but turned out to be harmless, not sure I would have liked seeing a weapon on them during the encounter though. Like someone said earlier dressing nice, clean cut, polite, acting professional, etc go along way toward getting a positive reaction. I think that would apply to any situation regardless of whether you are carrying or not. I am not trying to discourage or encourage either method of carry as I can see advantages to both, but just thought everyone might benefit from hearing a different perspective from a pro gun small business owner.

Reading the comments after reading on that story, I am still amazed at some people.

Having a HCP in the state of TN allows you to do either. If you choose to open or conceal, as long as you have a valid permit, should be your choice.

I was at my cousin's wedding this past weekend and he and most of the groomsmen were openly carrying. I think it was more of pictures than anything else. As we were out in the country and no real need for a firearm( but nobody really knows).

My dad asked me if i felt naked not having my gun on me( unbeknownst to him i had mine in the truck). No, i didn't feel naked, just left out.

I have carried a few times openly, mostly late at night. Really prefer concealing, since it dosen't draw much attention. I'm sure I print( with the glock), but really have had no issue.

probably 90 percent concealed, 10 percent open.

depends on a couple of factors.
1. What am I wearing.  If I'm wearing anything that associates me with my job or either the non-profit I volunteer for or the volunteer fire department I'm a member of it's concealed.  Carrying a weapon is my right and choice and I should not force that association on either of those organizations.  

2. Which direction am I going out of the driveway (literally)   If I turn left I'm going outside city limits.  Firearms are very common, no one gets worked up or cares out there.  If I'm turning right I'm going into the city limits and people are still very relaxed but are more likely to get worked up.  I always conceal in the city.

The holster just feels more comfortable if my shirt is tucked under it as opposed to pulled over it but I usually sacrifice the comfort for concealment.

I CC unless I'm hunting or at the range. I'm glad that there is a option to OC I just dont think its something I need to do since I'm a construction worker and look pretty ruff most the time besides if I need that thing I dont want um knowing I got it.

probably 90 percent concealed, 10 percent open.

The holster just feels more comfortable if my shirt is tucked under it as opposed to pulled over it but I usually sacrifice the comfort for concealment.

I have been wearing a wife beater t-shirt tucked in with a polo shirt untucked to take care of the comfort issue. 

• Like 1

I always conceal my gun . But I always manage to see someone open carrying at least once a month in my town. I always take a cell phone pic of them to show my brother and friends about how bad this can be becuase most of the people I see have their pistol in a flimsy holster and make it way too easy to snatch the gun and run . I just saw a dude at Walmart last week with that giant  Taurus revolver that shoots the shotgun shells. HE was open carrying that giant boat anchor ! 

I wonder what you guys would think about us making a thread like this but posting pics of open carriers to see how they carry , what they are using to carry and what guns they are carrying . And we could block out their face . What do you think ? 

I wonder what you guys would think about us making a thread like this but posting pics of open carriers to see how they carry , what they are using to carry and what guns they are carrying . And we could block out their face . What do you think ?

What purpose would this serve? I can think of better ways to spend our time.
  • Like 2

I was working late last night( tuesday night) and did happen to see a customer openly carrying a steel colored 1911 type of pistol. I wasn't able to get close enough to get a real good look at it. But didn't scare, care or worry about it. Almost funny though, considering the get-up the owner was wearing. Ha ha.

I rarely see many people openly carrying their handguns around Tullahoma/Manchester though. Lately, it has only been 2 occurances late at night. But i guess there is less sheeple out after  10 p.m. at night.

Guest Augustus

I carry every day whether I leave the house or not. The only time I un-holster is when I go to bed. Of course, when camping, hunting, hiking, etc., I carry open. 

I once saw a guy open carrying an AK pistol...complete overkill. Have fun in civil court when you shoot somebody in self defense, and kill 2 other people on accident with that penetrating rifle round.

I have a few friends that carry and shoot the 7.62x25 Tokarev's and they said they always have to look and see what may be beyond their targets when using FMJ ammo because of collateral damage.

Carrying a handgun while 'going armed' is a crime in Tennessee.  A permit is a defense to prosecution here in addition to others like hunting or being at your business or home.  I see no reason to expose a handgun in public and give a LEO cause to ask questions.  Also with other nice gray areas like schools, some parks, and these other silly signs, why expose myself to criminal liability by carrying open and accidently go into a place I am not supposed to be?  What happens if I am open carrying in a city I am not familiar with and accidently walk on university property or some obscure place that has a school?  I'm not giving a LEO probable cause out and about by open carrying.  I look at concealing as sort of a 5th Amendment type deal.

I figure by concealing about the only time I may be asked if I have a permit is when I am in a traffic stop and a LEO asks for my DL and my permit shows up.  I know I am generally 99,9% legal with my gun in my car with a permit about anywhere.  If I don't conceal in public, the chance of getting asked to prove i'm legal increases to situations outside of the normal traffic stop.  Besides being involved in a traffic stop, about the only time my gun would be found would be a detailed search that happens because of probable cause of a crime or maybe I hit a place with metal detectors and do not take my gun back to the car.  I don't walk around drunk, am clean cut, so that would be pretty rare.  I've never been searched, so doubt that will happen in the future.

Carrying a handgun while 'going armed' is a crime in Tennessee.  A permit is a defense to prosecution here in addition to others like hunting or being at your business or home.  I see no reason to expose a handgun in public and give a LEO cause to ask questions.  Also with other nice gray areas like schools, some parks, and these other silly signs, why expose myself to criminal liability by carrying open and accidently go into a place I am not supposed to be?  What happens if I am open carrying in a city I am not familiar with and accidently walk on university property or some obscure place that has a school?  I'm not giving a LEO probable cause out and about by open carrying.  I look at concealing as sort of a 5th Amendment type deal.

I figure by concealing about the only time I may be asked if I have a permit is when I am in a traffic stop and a LEO asks for my DL and my permit shows up.  I know I am generally 99,9% legal with my gun in my car with a permit about anywhere.  If I don't conceal in public, the chance of getting asked to prove i'm legal increases to situations outside of the normal traffic stop.  Besides being involved in a traffic stop, about the only time my gun would be found would be a detailed search that happens because of probable cause of a crime or maybe I hit a place with metal detectors and do not take my gun back to the car.  I don't walk around drunk, am clean cut, so that would be pretty rare.  I've never been searched, so doubt that will happen in the future.

I didn't know or don't know how many people may know this but anytime you are in your own car or any car registered to you and you are pulled over by a LEO for a traffic violation before he ever leaves his patrol car he knows if you have a carry permit or not. I never knew that till a buddy of mine that is an LEO told me that your license plate on your car is also tied to your HCP just like your drivers license is. I also learned that about 3 years ago when I got pulled over for speeding and the Officer was very polite and asked for my drivers license and registration and proof of insurance. After he looked them over he handed them back to me and said he stopped me for doing 7mph over the limit and said I needed to slow down and that was all. As he began to walk away he came back and asked me what kind of gun I was carrying. I thought it was kind of a strange question but I told him a Bersa 380 cal. He said pretty nice gun. I have one of them and they are nice and he said have a nice day and walked off. I thought it was kind of odd but just let it go and went home.

Guest copperhead_1911

I open carry most of the time. The reason is I am either carrying a 1911 commander or glock 17. When I am in just jeans and a t shirt I have not found a comfortable way to cc. I do carry a back up .380 in my pocket so if I go somewhere they dont want me to open carry i can still protect myself. 

I didn't know or don't know how many people may know this but anytime you are in your own car or any car registered to you and you are pulled over by a LEO for a traffic violation before he ever leaves his patrol car he knows if you have a carry permit or not. I never knew that till a buddy of mine that is an LEO told me that your license plate on your car is also tied to your HCP just like your drivers license is.

You may invoke the wrath of TGO myth correction with this one. It simply isn't true that your tag is tied to your HCP.
  • Like 3

I didn't know or don't know how many people may know this but anytime you are in your own car or any car registered to you and you are pulled over by a LEO for a traffic violation before he ever leaves his patrol car he knows if you have a carry permit or not. I never knew that till a buddy of mine that is an LEO told me that your license plate on your car is also tied to your HCP just like your drivers license is. ...

I'm pretty sure you've already been corrected on this error here several times?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Your permit and license are not connected to the tags on your vehicles. You could be driving your cousin's vehicle and the officer wouldnt know if you had a permit to carry or not.

The officer won't know if you have a permit unless you show it to him. ( unless there is some new way they can look it up on the DL records).

Your permit and license are not connected to the tags on your vehicles. You could be driving your cousin's vehicle and the officer wouldnt know if you had a permit to carry or not.

The officer won't know if you have a permit unless you show it to him. ( unless there is some new way they can look it up on the DL records).

Should show up when they run your DL number, as far as I know. Heck, your HCP number and DL number are the same. Tags though, no.

I didn't know or don't know how many people may know this but anytime you are in your own car or any car registered to you and you are pulled over by a LEO for a traffic violation before he ever leaves his patrol car he knows if you have a carry permit or not. I never knew that till a buddy of mine that is an LEO told me that your license plate on your car is also tied to your HCP just like your drivers license is. I also learned that about 3 years ago when I got pulled over for speeding and the Officer was very polite and asked for my drivers license and registration and proof of insurance. After he looked them over he handed them back to me and said he stopped me for doing 7mph over the limit and said I needed to slow down and that was all. As he began to walk away he came back and asked me what kind of gun I was carrying. I thought it was kind of a strange question but I told him a Bersa 380 cal. He said pretty nice gun. I have one of them and they are nice and he said have a nice day and walked off. I thought it was kind of odd but just let it go and went home.

:wall:  :shake:  :wall:  :shake:  :wall:  :shake:  :wall:  :shake:  :wall:  :shake:

The only way an officer could know if someone has a HCP by tag only , and this is a slim chance,  is that he takes the registered name that comes back to the car's plate and asks NCIC to check for a Tn DL by name only and then there is always a crap load of "john Smiths " that will come back . But then the only way to separate the registered car owner's name from the bunch that came back is to try and match up the address on the DL queeries that came back to the one on the plate. This is only a SLIM CHANCE and not many officers will do this. Too long to do after you have stopped him and havent even made it up to the car yet. And still there is no guarantee that the registered car owner is the driver . And some car registrations even have a P.O. box address and this will not match up to a TN DL/HCP which have land addresses . 

• 2 weeks later...

Many years ago I could run a tag for both owner info and DL information. I got back the same info for the registered owners(s) I would get back if I had their Driver’s license in my hands. And I could do it in seconds; can Officers not do that today?

• Like 1

Many years ago I could run a tag for both owner info and DL information. I got back the same info for the registered owners(s) I would get back if I had their Driver’s license in my hands. And I could do it in seconds; can Officers not do that today?

It's been a while since I was dispatcher, but when I was doing it the only info you could get back by checking a tag was the registered owner,  There was also a code to use to check if it was stolen or not at the same time.

Of course you could take the information from the tag check and then run separate inquiry for DL info, but AFAIK there never has been a way in TN to get DL info from a tag in a single step inquiry. 

It's been a while since I was dispatcher, but when I was doing it the only info you could get back by checking a tag was the registered owner,  There was also a code to use to check if it was stolen or not at the same time.

Of course you could take the information from the tag check and then run separate inquiry for DL info, but AFAIK there never has been a way in TN to get DL info from a tag in a single step inquiry. 

In the 80’s I made the mistake of volunteering to go to school for L.E.A.D.S (Law Enforcement Agencies Data Systems). It was my understanding we were charged by the state on the amount and type of info we ran. We were set-up so that when we ran a plate we would also get back DL info for the owner(s). I could even run a complete criminal background on someone; but I was told it cost more and I would have to explain why I did it, so I never did. If we needed that done the desk clerks did it.

On patrol we typically ask dispatchers to check DL status from a plate number. Unless it was a busy night we had an answer in seconds. We didn’t have computers in the car. Could it be that the in-car computers of today are limited to how much data they can access?

I’m not arguing with anyone; I’m just skeptical that an Officer couldn’t get back info that would indicate an HCP in seconds if they wanted to know that. Or that if they ran a plate and that owner was suspended/revoked/wanted it wouldn't show up.

Now If I'm not driving, yet riding as a passenger am I Obligated to show the officer who pulls my driver over, My HCP and DL, even if I'm not driving.

Wouldn't be drinking, cause if that was the case, My Firearm would be away from me.