New one hot off the anvil

I actually got time away from work to fire up the forge today. I made this from a Made in the USA 1095 Nicholson file. It has an 8.5" blade, flat ground with convex edge, 12.5" overall. I'm gonna paracord wrap the handle instead of wood on this one. It will shave hair easily, and would make a great camping/fighting style knife.

Firing the forge

[URL=http://s535.photobucket.com/user/tnplowboy07/media/20130507_110943_zpsde99a230.jpg.html]20130507_110943_zpsde99a230.jpg[/URL]

Steel in the fire

[URL=http://s535.photobucket.com/user/tnplowboy07/media/20130507_113236_zps85c5fce3.jpg.html]20130507_113236_zps85c5fce3.jpg[/URL]

Rough forged in under an hour

[URL=http://s535.photobucket.com/user/tnplowboy07/media/20130507_113546_zps06cade1b.jpg.html]20130507_113546_zps06cade1b.jpg[/URL]

Finished to 400 grit on a 1x30 belt sander, then honed and stroped to a shaving edge by hand.

[URL=http://s535.photobucket.com/user/tnplowboy07/media/20130507_145559_zps7ba244c3.jpg.html]20130507_145559_zps7ba244c3.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s535.photobucket.com/user/tnplowboy07/media/20130507_145628_zps07354b56.jpg.html]20130507_145628_zps07354b56.jpg[/URL]

Standing with almost finished product in hand on my parents porch

[URL=http://s535.photobucket.com/user/tnplowboy07/media/20130507_150609_zpsbb910e46.jpg.html]20130507_150609_zpsbb910e46.jpg[/URL]

• Like 3
Guest Broomhead
Very nice!!

We need to hammer out another date to get together. I have an idea for an anvil that I'm going to talk over with Dad. If he likes it then I'll post up a WIP on it. It involves a 12lbs sledgehammer head, 10-12 scrap steel plates, two 5gal buckets, and a bag of Quickrete.

Thanks guys. Yeah it grew back in 5 months tricky. And we will get it worked out Broomhead.

Here it is wrapped. Simple wrap down the handle, with a turks head at the hilt. I'm not a great paracord guy, but it looks and feels good.

[URL=http://s535.photobucket.com/user/tnplowboy07/media/20130507_202522_zps5171ada2.jpg.html]20130507_202522_zps5171ada2.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s535.photobucket.com/user/tnplowboy07/media/20130507_202459_zpsbc58389f.jpg.html]20130507_202459_zpsbc58389f.jpg[/URL]

Guest sL1k
That is your best yet. Can you do another one like that ?

Edit or is this one for sale ? Edited by sL1k

That is your best yet. Can you do another one like that ?

Edit or is this one for sale ?

I could do another one close. Someone else already pmed about one also. This one might be for sale, I could use the money, though I built it with the intentions of keeping it lol.

Thanks for the compliments, glad you like it

Sent from the backwoods of Nowhere

I like that Turk's head knot. I need to learn that one.

I cussed and threw stuff for almost 2 hours trying to do that, and Im still not 100% sure its right

It reminds me of a Leuku! Was that what you were going for? Excellent job!

Honestly, I wanted something along the lines of a hand forged Kabar, in application more than design. A fighting and utility knife. I used a traditional style tanto tip, not the Western tanto that is a bastard design that I dont really like, with a flat grind and convex edge for slicing and dicing. Paracord is easily field replaceable and provides good grip, and the blade is soft back tempered for a tough springy blade, with an extremely hard edge for excellent edge retention.

• Like 1

hmmmm, I may be interested in procuring one of these style knives in a few months..........

Thats 3 lol. I do believe I know what my next few blades will be.

neat knifes.:) You trying  damascus any time soon ? or are you not set up for it.. Not sure what you have to do for those

You still look scary as hell every time I see you.,. if I did not know you personaly I would  kinda make a wide berth around you.. lol

Scary hairy mountain marine dude..:)

Lmao thanks SK. My wife says I'm a big teddy bear, but no one else seems to think so. I have given thought to Damsacus, but my forge welding isn't there yet. I hope to make my first damscus after being at the camp this summer.

Nice man, very nice.  Seems every knife you post is a little better than the last.  Your skills are growing pretty doggone quick.  It'll be very interesting to see where you are in another year.  

I was a machinist for many years and I've made several knives using flat ground stock, a drafted carbide end mill and a Bridgeport.  I can't believe I'e ever be able to beat one out on an anvil.  Especially ending with the same amount of material you start with.  

Kings to you brother.  

Nice man, very nice. Seems every knife you post is a little better than the last. Your skills are growing pretty doggone quick. It'll be very interesting to see where you are in another year.
I was a machinist for many years and I've made several knives using flat ground stock, a drafted carbide end mill and a Bridgeport. I can't believe I'e ever be able to beat one out on an anvil. Especially ending with the same amount of material you start with.

Kings to you brother.

Thanks man. I strive to make every knife a little better than the last one Forging them has always appealed to me more than stock removal, because I can shape and bend and tweak it in a way thats not possible with grinding and cutting. Though stock removal makes some beautiful knives, I do feel it can be limiting in that your confined to the size of the stock you start with.

Thanks man. I strive to make every knife a little better than the last one Forging them has always appealed to me more than stock removal, because I can shape and bend and tweak it in a way thats not possible with grinding and cutting. Though stock removal makes some beautiful knives, I do feel it can be limiting in that your confined to the size of the stock you start with.

Tell the truth!  You just like the feeling of whoopin' tha piss outta stuff!  LOL