Another reason why I hate Academy Sports

BigK

I got carded at checkout for a Birchwood Casey Perma Blue kit!

I refused based on general principal and my keen sense of self-awareness that I'm an a$$hole who likes to stir up trouble. I know it's not the cashier's idea, so I asked for a manager. She goes to get somebody, no doubt rolling her eyes as she tells him, because he comes over with an apologetic sigh.

I waited until he's just about to start his 'shoulder-shrug-with-palms-rotated-upward' gesture to shake my head disgustedly and say 'don't tell me it's company policy'. He does anyway, admitting he agrees it's stupid, but they have to follow the rules.

I avoided asking him if he EVER drives too fast on his way to work and skipped asking if Walmart asks for his papers to buy bleach and dish soap. I just cut to the chase and asked if he wanted my money or was I going to have to go somewhere that did.

I walked out with my bluing kit and my HCP and DL never left my wallet.
  • Like 5
Guest RedLights&Sirens
A bluing kit? Is it one of thoes things that kids like to get high with, like huffing paint? Ive never been to Academy before and I dont even know if there is one around the Memphis area.

I get pissed every time I try to buy the hi-cap AA & AAA batteries (in the photo department) from Walmart in Clinton.  Need them for GPS SPOT tracker, and get carded for that. 

I need to put their managers phone# in my phone.  Did that with Oak Ridge, and solved a world of problems by making them walk their butt back to where I happened to be.

Edited by R_Bert

I get pissed every time I try to buy the hi-cap AA & AAA batteries (in the photo department) from Walmart in Clinton.  Need them for GPS SPOT tracker, and get carded for that. 

Get rechargeables and quit killing the earth! lol

Did that with Oak Ridge, and solved a world of problems by making them walk their butt back to where I happened to be.

If its the store manager with the difficult name, he's a gun guy.

Get rechargeables and quit killing the earth! lol

If its the store manager with the difficult name, he's a gun guy.

Have rechargables.  they don't work nearly as well when your 80 yr old father generally and stubbornly refuses to change batteries.  These last 7 good days, as opposed to 1.5 - 2 days. 

As far as Oak Ridge, not gun related.  But anytime a manager is called in-office by a customer, problem explained, and THEN has to ALSO walk down for face-to-face (they don't know up front that I am in the store, as I simply describe the problem at first)...it gets their attention. 

All conducted calmly and I am very courteous, but is a memorable event for them.  usually modifies or fixes the customer-service behavior issue at hand. Pulling the phone out and doing it in the presence of the offending clerk is particularly effective.

Edited by R_Bert

What did you gain from this, other than being a jackass? Is it really that big a deal to flash a driver's license? I have to when I buy beer. No one in that store made the policy. I wish more of us would try to paint gun owners in a good light, and not as pushy jerks.

• Like 5

What did you gain from this, other than being a jackass? Is it really that big a deal to flash a driver's license? I have to when I buy beer. No one in that store made the policy. I wish more of us would try to paint gun owners in a good light, and not as pushy jerks.

I have to agree with this. They're just doing their job, why make it difficult? Chances are they need the job and have to follow company policies so that they can pay their bills. At the end of the day, what did you really accomplish?

My opinion on this? It is not required by law. I will not show it just to satisfy someones needs. They need not ask for my phone number either. Just like the little country store up the road. Brenda is the manager and has known me at that store for the last 15 years. Everytime I walk in there for a beer or a pack of smokes for the old lady, I get carded. She says it's the law. Well guess what? Card me one more time, and my business goes to the BP where they don't card me because I'm a customer. Now who wins or loses? Just like Academy, you play you pay!

Dave S

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 1
Don't see what the big deal is personally. If you have a job then that means there are rules to follow that go along with that job. I manage a small store where we still take personal checks. Want to pay with a check? No problem. Yes I'm going to need to see your ID and verify that all the information is current, yes you actually need to take it out and hand it to me and yes, I am writing your DL number on the check for reference. Don't like it? Fine, we also except credit/debit or good old American cash.

A quick side note, my brother works for the BP down the road. If I go but cigs or beer I get carded every time. Now he knows I'm me, his coworkers all know me by name and even his manager and I are on a first name basis yet I still have to show ID. Why? It's company policy (or maybe policy of the owner, not sure). Not a big deal, and before anyone can say it, no, it is not one step closer to "show me your papers!"
Guest Wildogre

If you ask for my phone number you will get 615 - 555-1212. I will show my ID when paying by Debit or Credit Card. When buying beer or Ammo I also have no problem. I did have a lady ask me to take it out of the billfold. I asked her why she said to make sure it was not a fake. I asked if she was trained in forensic document examination why was she working checkout. Silence, card stayed in billfold.

Actually for beer and cigs, its state law to be carded. If they don't card you and the "customer" behind you is a state beer board inspector or some crap then they get a big fine.

Now for the blue stuff, I'd have to agree, I see no reason to show my ID, also if they ask for zip code I always give 37371. Let them figure out how I live at the post office. :D
  • Like 2

There are surely principles you hold dearly enough to stand up for. This is one of them for me.

You're welcome to roll over and relinquish your right to privacy, to not be hassled with idiotic rules, and bow down to corporate CYA bull$hi+. Me, I'll take the unpaved road and attempt to affect change where I can.

What are they gonna card you for next? Where do you draw the line? Bottom line: they don't need to see my papers over every stupid little thing I buy, so I won't put up with it. Edited by BigK
  • Like 1
I won't give my email address either, but at least I "get" that. They're hoping to advertise and maybe get me to come back in there. I get enough SPAM as it is, though.

The zip codes and area codes are the similar. They ask in order to see what geographical area they're serving to gauge the need to expand. Again, I "get" that too. It could actually help me in the long run, if they open a closer store.
Guest Keal G Seo

I have to agree with this. They're just doing their job, why make it difficult? Chances are they need the job and have to follow company policies so that they can pay their bills. At the end of the day, what did you really accomplish?

I don't know about the OP but I am the same way. If there is no law requiring them to card then I refuse. I also try to cause a little hassle over it. Not to be a dick but to bring attention to the fact that they will lose money by invading my privacy. I do this in hopes of making it such a hassle the company will consider changing policy. I know my one scene will not change anything but it is good to hear I am not the only one doing it.

Beer and smokes aren't quite comparable here. I not sure if it is federal law or perhaps just a guideline that most states have conformed to but if you appear under 40 they are required by law to card you for those items. As for checks, that is just covering the stores arse, if it is check fraud the store never gets paid.

One of the worst offenders that lost my business years ago was RadioShack. I don't know if they still do it today (haven't been in one in quite a few years) but they used to ask for your name, address and phone number to make any purchase.

I understand where you are coming from, and I dont like all the questions at the cash register either. What I'm saying is that the little girl at the register doesn't give a flip one way or the other about your privacy, constitutional rights, etc. She just doesn't want to get fired for not doing her job. She also doesn't really care whether or not you ever shop at that store again.

There's a right and wrong way to deal with this, and arguing with her just makes you appear to be a nut. As gun owners, we don't need the bad image.

Edited by gregintenn

I understand where you are coming from, and I dont like all the questions at the cash register either. What I'm saying is that the little girl at the register doesn't give a flip one way or the other about your privacy, constitutional rights, etc. She just doesn't want to get fired for not doing her job. She also doesn't really care whether or not you ever shop at that store again.

There's a right and wrong way to deal with this, and arguing with her just makes you appear to be a nut. As gun owners, we don't need the bad image.

I agree with you that there is a right way and wrong way to handle these issues and arguing with a cashier ain't on the list.  But, I don't see anything in BigK's post that says he argued with the girl. He simply said "I know it's not the cashier's idea, so I asked for a manager."  Which to me is the correct way to address the issue.  I'd say the issue with the manager was par for the course, with the exception of him actually getting the kit without showing his ID.  I will add that having to show HCP and DL for a bluing kit is ridiculous.  I'd walk first.

Yeah, as Keal G Seo put it, I make a big deal out of it to hopefully get them to rethink a stupid policy. Therefore, as Randall53 said, I took it up with the manager. There's no point hassling a cashier over a store policy, so I wouldn't waste my breath. Besides, as you put it, she doesn't care. She's just doing as she was told and has no authority to get anything done about it.The manager, on the other hand, does have some influence. He also cares about revenue and making customers happy.

Back when I was running restaurants, some of our best suggestions and ideas came from customers (some of whom were mad about policies). Protocol dictated that I document the incident and submit it to the powers that be. A perfect example...at one point NO pizza joint would accept a cell phone number for delivery orders. At a few corporate meetings, we managers explained that we were turning away tons of orders, because not everyone still used a land line. They weighed that against their old reasoning (security of knowing the address matched the phone, mostly) and abolished the rule.

So, enough complaints can get things changed. The things that cost them sales losses and make customers mad, get changed fastest. Edited by BigK
  • Like 1

I agree with you that there is a right way and wrong way to handle these issues and arguing with a cashier ain't on the list.  But, I don't see anything in BigK's post that says he argued with the girl. He simply said "I know it's not the cashier's idea, so I asked for a manager."  Which to me is the correct way to address the issue.  I'd say the issue with the manager was par for the course, with the exception of him actually getting the kit without showing his ID.  I will add that having to show HCP and DL for a bluing kit is ridiculous.  I'd walk first.

Sorry I wasn't clearer. You can put the manager in the same catergory as the cashier in most instances.

If you ask for my phone number you will get 615 - 555-1212. I will show my ID when paying by Debit or Credit Card. When buying beer or Ammo I also have no problem. I did have a lady ask me to take it out of the billfold. I asked her why she said to make sure it was not a fake. I asked if she was trained in forensic document examination why was she working checkout. Silence, card stayed in billfold.

Start using  (202) 456-1111   Do a reverse look-up and you'll understand why it's fun.  :)

I got carded at checkout for a Birchwood Casey Perma Blue kit!

I refused based on general principal and my keen sense of self-awareness that I'm an a$$hole who likes to stir up trouble. I know it's not the cashier's idea, so I asked for a manager. She goes to get somebody, no doubt rolling her eyes as she tells him, because he comes over with an apologetic sigh.

I waited until he's just about to start his 'shoulder-shrug-with-palms-rotated-upward' gesture to shake my head disgustedly and say 'don't tell me it's company policy'. He does anyway, admitting he agrees it's stupid, but they have to follow the rules.

I avoided asking him if he EVER drives too fast on his way to work and skipped asking if Walmart asks for his papers to buy bleach and dish soap. I just cut to the chase and asked if he wanted my money or was I going to have to go somewhere that did.

I walked out with my bluing kit and my HCP and DL never left my wallet.

Though I completely agree with you, I'm imagining that you were just being carded to verify you were over 18. The rest of us know you're old as hell but that little gal at the counter may have thought you were in a boy band or something.

Edited by NoBanStan
  • Like 1

Start using  (202) 456-1111   Do a reverse look-up and you'll understand why it's fun.  :)

Going to start to use that one.. Yeah, I'm sure they will call them.. But then again Secret Service might want to question you why you are giving that number..  :rofl: