Was I in the wrong yesterday while buying my shotgun?

Got done with all the paperwork and the sell and she asked for a phone number. I asked what for and she said to put it on the form. Informed her that it wasn't on the last 30 or so 4473 forms I've filled out. I finally made one up and she wrote it across the top.

Then she went to put it in the box and it wouldn't fit, then her and the guy there decided they needed to break it down to fit in the box but neither knew how (I did) and started trying to take the stock off and I told them to stop and leave it be or start the return process because at that point even though it hadn't left the store it was paid for and a valid background check and 4473 filled out on it and I didn't want someone without knowledge of it taking it apart.
Sounds about right to me. Guess it just depends on how you said it. Doesn't sound like to big a deal. I would have played really dumb on the whole phone number thing and asked if it was a new requirement or a store policy or what, then just say I don't have a phone cell or otherwise. Of course after that you pretty have to make sure they see you pull your cell to check the time.

Of course the flip side to that is I generally don't have an issue with giving out my number anyway, seems everyone wants it these days but I still never get solicitations.
As long as you were courteous I think you handle it well. I don't mind giving my land line number out when they ask. My landline is through comcast so if they call I just block the number in the future. What kind of shot gun did you buy?

I heard something at the Barber shop the other day that a certain FFL in the area had got in ATF trouble, and was having to contact buyers regarding some type of issue.  I wonder if this is the same FFL that has learned to have a phone record to ease the pain to contact someone just in case?  

In OP's case, no, there was no reason at all necessary for getting the phone number after he had the gun in hand, though I myself wouldn't really care.

Last few firearms I've bought I've had shipped to FFL, so I wanted them to have my number, so I'd know when they got it.

Hell, CDNN doesn't even give you a tracking number, so had to depend on Bill's Outpost to let me know when they got it (which they're very quick about btw).

Matter of fact, all online sellers I've dealt with require a phone number. I suppose you can just lie, but again, why? I've had CDNN and Palmetto State both call me regarding glitches, wouldn't have gotten the thing at all if they couldn't have reached me.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

In OP's case, no, there was no reason at all necessary for getting the phone number after he had the gun in hand, though I myself wouldn't really care.

Last few firearms I've bought I've had shipped to FFL, so I wanted them to have my number, so I'd know when they got it.

Hell, CDNN doesn't even give you a tracking number, so had to depend on Bill's Outpost to let me know when they got it (which they're very quick about btw).

Matter of fact, all online sellers I've dealt with require a phone number. I suppose you can just lie, but again, why? I've had CDNN and Palmetto State both call me regarding glitches, wouldn't have gotten the thing at all if they couldn't have reached me.

- OS

Oh trust me if i was ordering it i would have had absolutely no issue with giving it out. But I had completed the sale at that time including all forms of background and sales items being taken care of more then 15 minutes before she asked while i was waiting on the box from the back and this was a print out of the computerized 4473 form that she was writing it on. It struck me as odd to ask for it then and when i asked for a reason why all I got in return the first time is "i just need your number" to which I responded why and got no reason again and since I did not get a fitting answer she did not get a fitting correct number.

Then of course the whole it must be in the box before it can leave the store bit.

I was being extremely nice till they decided not to listen to me and try to take it apart wrongly and ignored me the first time when I told them to stop then I got a bit more forceful with my request while reminding them it was not their property anymore and they stopped.

And to add strangeness to the whole matter which after further thought makes me never ever buy another gun there is that my wife was sitting on a bench right at the counter and decided to stay there while they walked me out with it to lock in our van and then meet back up with her to finish our shopping. The person wrote a alphanumeric number on my receipt and said it was in case I needed to call the ATF and then while I was gone the woman behind the counter told my wife quote "ok its all good now his background check went through" at that point I was already outside with it and it had been over 45 minutes since her call to the number. I really do not understand what went on there and it scares me a bit about ever buying another one at that store. Edited by Tobashadow

And to add strangeness to the whole matter which after further thought makes me never ever buy another gun there is that my wife was sitting on a bench right at the counter and decided to stay there while they walked me out with it to lock in our van and then meet back up with her to finish our shopping. The person wrote a alphanumeric number on my receipt and said it was in case I needed to call the ATF and then while I was gone the woman behind the counter told my wife quote "ok its all good now his background check went through" at that point I was already outside with it and it had been over 45 minutes since her call to the number. I really do not understand what went on there and it scares me a bit about ever buying another one at that store.

Sounds to me they have a practice of allowing the would be owner the firearm after the 4473 is complete, but the TICs information has not yet came back.  The requirement is that the FFL must do both, have the buyer complete the 4473, review for obvious prohibited answers, and contact TIC, then provide your DL number, and wait on the approval via a alpha numeric number BEFORE the FFL can transfer ownership and physically deliver the firearm. 

Anytime a sales person ask for my phone number I just say, "uh, I'm not interested".   Many of them enter in a dummy number.

Every now and then if it's a woman I tell her,  "Sorry, my wife won't let me give my number to beautiful women."  :D

I just give out my old cell phone number.  I have a cell phone but I only possess it for emergencies.  It rarely even leaves the car.  I'll give people I really don't care for that number because the likelyhood of me actually hearing the phone ring is pretty slim.

Guest AmericanWorkMule
I hate when having a firearm delivered to a FFL you find that prior to your arrival they've opened the box and have had the gun out playing with it.