School me on gun belts.

For a belt to be IDPA legal it must go through the belt loops of your pants.

So, strapping that belt to your inner belt with keepers, is NOT IDPA legal.

That's not to say that every club will call you on it when you go shoot, but it will be enforced in sanctioned matches. Thought you'd want to know that.

Thanks for the info BigK!  I didn't know that.  Before I invest in a belt keepers, i may have to get another belt after all!

I'm a cheapskate, so for my first holster belt I went with a $20 Uncle Mike's nylon rigger belt with the kydex insert. Since then, I've picked up 4 extra thick leather belts that are fantastic and I love them too, but I don't like how my holster creaks against them.

So, I've still been rockin that same el cheapo UM belt 4 or 5 days a week for about 5 years. Once a year I clean out the hooks and loops in the velcro. It won't sag, due to the kydex stiffener, the double layers of stitched nylon don't stretch, and although I prefer leather it's the one I keep going with almost every day. Edited by BigK

Great suggestions already. :up:

I've used a [url=http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/holsters-belt-gear/holster-belts/dress-gun-belt-prod6959.aspx] Hellweg[/url] belt for about 10 years. They are very comfortable and secure...and it doesn't look so much like a "gun belt" imho.

I have a couple of the "instructor belts", SOE, and they are excellent. My preference simply runs towards leather.

fwiw, I also have a [url=http://www.kramerleather.com/productDetail.cfm?productID=50&categoryID=2]Kramer Horsehide belt[/url] I purchased from Greg back when it was still "Pro Line Leather". I used it daily for better than 10 years, and it's still quite functional.

Just some options and an opinion. :pleased:

While I have a very nice Comp-Tac competition belt, it is a bit stiff for everyday use.  I also have a nice Galco belt.   The belt I have gravitated to for IDPA and everyday carry is the 5.11 Double Duty TDU 1.5” Belt.  It has two layers of heavy duty nylon webbing with five rows of stitching, adjustable buckle and is reversible.  I found it at Bass Pro Shop for 20.00 and decided to try it.  I have since purchased another to keep in my range bag.

• Admin Team

The Ares Gear Ranger Belt is the best belt made.  Hands down.

As far as leather, I like DM Bullard, but in reality, like Rob said above just about any double layer stitched belt will serve you well.  I like a 1.5" belt.

I use a Bullhide Belt, it is TOUGH. Pretty sure I could beat someone to death with it.

+1. I've got three of their belts and they do the job of carrying my firearm and spare mags with ease. I can carry OWB under a shirt or sportcoat and be completely concealed without any printing whatsoever.

If you get on their mailing list they will send you a list of clearance belts about once a month or so that can save you some money off their regular retail price.

• 5 weeks later...

I bought an Amish belt from hanksclothing.com
It's cheap and you could tow a tank with it. I got a 1.5 inch width. The only pants the belt loops are kind of tight on are dickies.

^^ +1 - I bought one from Hank's also, and have recommended it to several people.

I also bought a leather belt from Blade Tech - it has a piece of kydex in between the 2 pieces of leather. It is excellent, unless you are fat like me OR you make the mistake of leaving it lying on the floor and you step on it. It WILL NOT crush!