Armed robbery in a Cool Springs office parking lot today 7/1

That type of stuff happens more often than you think in cool springs. Over the past few months, several banks on this road have been hit. I work in cool springs and do not go anywhere without my protection. Cool springs is a thug dream, quick access off the interstate and access countless high end stores and retail.

If i had the choice with being "fired" for defending myself, or being dead from a gunshot.........

Think I would choose being fired. Betterthat than being fired upon.

Cool springs is slowly becoming the "Hickory Hollow Mall" dream for thugs.

I carry everywhere I go now, even for quick runs into town. Never know when something like this will happen.

Edited by Wyldk2

I wonder how many people working in this area thought "This kind of thing doesn't happen here"

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130701/WILLIAMSON/307010067/Armed-robber-strikes-parking-lot-Cool-Springs-office-building

I work just up the street. I have to admit, when the boss came around and told us to be extra vigilant I thought it was strange.  Luckily there are a few of us here who are prepared for that type of thing :up:

I got a text from the fpd about this and i called the front security desk of my work which is directly across the street from the incident to let them know. I left work felling a little bit better that i had more than the average person to potentially fend off this stuff.

Kind of worrying. I frequently take breaks in my car in this lot and, in fact, was reading in my car between 1 and 2 on the day this happened over on the other side.

Time to swap the 40 in for the 32 I think and make sure I keep it close-by when taking a break. Also makes me a bit more inclined to get a dashcam.

The Cool Springs area is following the trend of "Gun Free Zones" everywhere. Thugs and wanna be gangsta's think that because an area is posted it's a free hunting ground. Concealed carry means just that. And carry I do.

The Cool Springs area is following the trend of "Gun Free Zones" everywhere. Thugs and wanna be gangsta's think that because an area is posted it's a free hunting ground. Concealed carry means just that. And carry I do.

Knowing my co-workers, those thugs might be in for an unpleasant surprise.

FWIW, this is what the building people sent around this morning, thought it might provoke some discussion. I'm not sure if this is from the police but I think not. Bear in mind that the victim was taking a break in their car. I am not sure how I would have behaved in the circumstance.

(Edit, this appears to have been taken from the web).

If They are Trying to Take Your Money

Try not to act angry or weak, they will take even more advantage of you than they already are. Be calm, or at least act calm. Assume they have no qualms about killing you; it's quite likely that they don't.2

Do not retaliate! Never forget that you are being held at gunpoint, and could be killed at any moment. You don't want this theft to escalate into homicide.3

Give them what they want, and do not hold back. After all, which is more important to you: your life or your wallet?4

When they run, call 911, but make sure they are at least one hundred feet away, and/or their weapon is out of range. Take some time to calm yourself down.

Edited by tnguy
  • Administrator

We had a mugging inside the parking garage stairwell at my company a few weeks ago in the middle of the day.  Details have been slow to leak out but apparently the perp intimated that he had a weapon, but never showed one.  Several of us generally do, so it's lucky for the perp that he chose someone a little more compliant.

A stairwell can work two ways for a robbery.  On one hand, if the victim complies it's a pretty secluded place to get away with some shit.  On the other hand, if your victim turns the tables on you, there's no place for you to run and an epic ass-beating can ensue.  I'll drag your ass back inside the stairwell and keep beating the ever loving shit out of you if you try to run after threatening to mug me and fail to produce a weapon.  :lol:

• Like 4

The only truly good defense to something like this is preventing it by being aware...it's so darn easy to get complacient but the sad trut today is that we we when we allow that to happen we open ourselves up to being surprised.

It's pretty much universally true, especially when it comes to an armed encounter, that ACTION beats RE-ACTION...once somoene has a gun pointed at you it's almost a certainty that he is going to be able to pull the trugger before you can get your weapon out of a holster or wherever you keep it; espeically if you are in the "cage" of a vehicle.

At the time I was out there, I had my head stuck in a book. Other times, I have been out there "resting my eyes". In either circumstance, my awareness would have been approximately zero.

I'll likely start tucking the 40 under my thigh if I'm out there. And getting earlier nights too.

For what it's worth though, I've been working in this area for something like 9 years and never heard of this happening before* so I'll not be overly concerned.

(* Though there was that love triangle shooting about 6 years ago but that's another thing entirely).

Edited by tnguy
Guest nra37922

This type of crapola is going to keep going on and get worse until we, all of us, remember how to take out the trash.

At the time I was out there, I had my head stuck in a book. Other times, I have been out there "resting my eyes". In either circumstance, my awareness would have been approximately zero.

I'll likely start tucking the 40 under my thigh if I'm out there. And getting earlier nights too.

For what it's worth though, I've been working in this area for something like 9 years and never heard of this happening before* so I'll not be overly concerned.

(* Though there was that love triangle shooting about 6 years ago but that's another thing entirely).

The love triangle thing was a murder-suicide in the parking lot of my office. Crazy woman mad about her man finding someone else.

Anyway, you can find a bad apple just about anywhere- just because its Cool Springs/Franklin doesn't prevent that. I'd wager that most folks familiar with this Nashville area would much prefer their opportunities/safety in Cool Springs over about any other retail area around. I've managed retail stores in both Hickory Hollow and Rivergate, and routinely found empty casings in my parking lot in the mornings. Really never saw that in this area. Edited by superduty

The suspect in the Cool Springs robbery is also wanted for hitting 3 other places the same day...two of them within walking distance of my house. That explains the ghettobird flying low enough for me to see the pilot that night.

The love triangle thing was a murder-suicide in the parking lot of my office. Crazy woman mad about her man finding someone else.

Anyway, you can find a bad apple just about anywhere- just because its Cool Springs/Franklin doesn't prevent that. I'd wager that most folks familiar with this Nashville area would much prefer their opportunities/safety in Cool Springs over about any other retail area around. I've managed retail stores in both Hickory Hollow and Rivergate, and routinely found empty casings in my parking lot in the mornings. Really never saw that in this area.

I worked across the street from the parking lot. I remember pulling in and hearing sirens. By the time i got to thr office they had the lot blocked and the poor lady was laying dead on the concrete. The crazy lady drove all the way from mich or illl (somewhere around there) to kill this lady before ahe married her ex husband. After ahe shot her, ahe got in the car, drove to the back lot and shot herself.