Question on "Side Saddles" for shotguns

leroy

Dear folks:_____________

I guess im an old school shotgun guy.  We used to shoot lots of shotgun at backyard clay birds and i learned how to reload shotgun doin this stuff; so ive spent quite a bit of time handlin shotguns; both semiauto and pump.  I'm also an old time "riot gun" affectionado.  I've never seen one i didnt like; from model 97's right up to the mossy 500's and remington 870's.  My current favorite is the Browning BPS beside my bed.  All it has on it is an extended magazine tube.  Havin given all that background; i wanted to ask one question:

I see lots of HD and Riot type guns with sidesaddles on ''em.  It looks to me like the sidesaddle would get in the way and mess up the shotgun balance a bit.  Now to my question; does it do either or or am i just not liking the new way of doin things?  I can see the need for police folks to have a side-saddle (...or backup...).  I aint sure i see the need for HD.  What's the story?  Am i missing somethin here?

leroy

Personally, I like the idea of having some extra shells on board, if something goes bump in the night. Since I don't have pockets on my boxers, this seems as good an option as any.

I do NOT like the sleeves I see on the stock. That really seems like it'd get in the way. The side saddles that attach to the receiver seem like a smart idea (except the ones that attach with velcro).

No doubt they'd be handy for a 3-gun match, but I haven't put one on the Mossberg by my bed, yet. I'm curious to hear about drawbacks, if they exist too.

• Like 1

Why would police need it but you wouldn't for HD? Shotgun is limited in capacity and it's not likely you're going to grab your shell pouch when someone kicks in the door.

Not to be snippy; but the shotgun has got a 7 plus 1 extended tube.  That's a helluva lot of shootin.   The police may need it if they are confronting the Dalton Gang, a plethora of drug dealers, or a crowd of idiots.   That aint likely with a home invasion type thing (...i dont think, anyway...).  For me; there's a glock 27 right next to the shotgun. 

Havin said all that; I guess my problem is the handling problem.  I aint into the "why" of the sidesaddle and the extra ammo thing.  I'll concede that one. ....I'm interested in the handling aspects when there is a "bump and you need to get up to see what it is".....  Said another way; does the sidesaddle get in the way when you handle the shotgun and does it affect balance?

BigK hit it on the nose here:

...No doubt they'd be handy for a 3-gun match, but I haven't put one on the Mossberg by my bed, yet. I'm curious to hear about drawbacks, if they exist too. ...

leroy

Edited by leroy

Not to be snippy; but the shotgun has got a 7 plus 1 extended tube.  That's a helluva lot of shootin.   The police may need it if they are confronting the Dalton Gang, a plethora of drug dealers, or a crowd of idiots.   That aint likely with a home invasion type thing (...i dont think, anyway...).  For me; there's a glock 27 right next to the shotgun. 

Havin said all that; I guess my problem is the "...how much is enough problem..." plus the handling problem.  I aint into the "why" of the sidesaddle and the extra ammo thing.  I'm interested in the handling aspects when there is a "bump and you need to get up to see what it is".   Said another way; does the sidesaddle get in the way when you handle the shotgun and does it affect balance?

BigK hit it on the nose here:

leroy

Have you been a gun battle? I haven't myself but I've done a butt load of reasearch on the matter. You really don't know how a situation can go down so you always want the extra rounds just in case even if the current threat is neutralized you don't know if there is another threat lurking around the corner, this is why I carry an FNX-9 with two extra 17rnd mags so i have 52rnds on my person at a given moment(unless at work :rolleyes: ). Recharge the weapon, check your 360, secure your assailant, and then secure the rest of the house; this is what I can gather from 'clearing a house'. How can you recharge the weapon if you don't have any extra rounds? This is why several people use them, I've held one before and it changes the balance of weight to the rear but doesn't really make it awkward for holding, just a little heavier.

Edited by whitewolf001
  • Admin Team

I think the biggest reason for a side saddle - in my opinion is to be able to do a quick slug changeover.  I keep my Benelli M4 stoked with 00 buck, and with one in the chamber and one on the elevator, it'll hold 9 rounds.  It's nice to be able to get the one out of the chamber and get a slug in quickly if for some reason the need should arise.  That opens up a lot of versatility that you might not have if you just grab the shotgun and assume what's in the tube is going to be appropriate for the situation.  Being able to quickly and effectively do quick slug changeovers really changes the platform.

With a 7 round saddle, I keep 3 slugs and 4 more rounds of 00 buck - this out of the old adage that if you aren't shooting a shotgun you should be feeding the shotgun.  It does add some weight, but I don't find that it affects balance.

• Like 2

I think the biggest reason for a side saddle - in my opinion is to be able to do a quick slug changeover.  I keep my Benelli M4 stoked with 00 buck, and with one in the chamber and one on the elevator, it'll hold 9 rounds.  It's nice to be able to get the one out of the chamber and get a slug in quickly if for some reason the need should arise.  That opens up a lot of versatility that you might not have if you just grab the shotgun and assume what's in the tube is going to be appropriate for the situation.  Being able to quickly and effectively do quick slug changeovers really changes the platform.

With a 7 round saddle, I keep 3 slugs and 4 more rounds of 00 buck - this out of the old adage that if you aren't shooting a shotgun you should be feeding the shotgun.  It does add some weight, but I don't find that it affects balance.

That's good stuff, man. I had forgotten about that added benefit. I remember now, seeing a video where the guy mentioned using the side saddle for staging specialty rounds. That may be a good enough reason to get one all by itself.

• Admin Team

That's good stuff, man. I had forgotten about that added benefit. I remember now, seeing a video where the guy mentioned using the side saddle for staging specialty rounds. That may be a good enough reason to get one all by itself.

Magpul's Art of the Defensive Shotgun covers quick slug changeovers in various platforms in detail and that section alone is worth the price of the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XCv0X6SqUg

Any shotgun class worth the money you pay for it should cover it at well.  And that's probably worth an additional mention - the shotgun is the most violent weapon system we have, but it's a complicated one, and it'll bite you if you don't really spend some time learning it, training with it and running scenarios with some stress added to them. 

If you've not taken a defensive shotgun course, but plan to use a shotgun as a primary means of home defense, you should take the time to go through one. 

You'll get your money's worth.

I am not a big fan of using my shotgun as a primary or even secondary weapon for inside the house home defense.  I have better guns (to me) for that role.

That said, if I am going to the shotgun it's because the "s#!t just got real" and the slight awkwardness of a sidesaddle is far outweighed by the need for more ammo that is easily accessible.

I don't notice the side saddle at all though and can't think of any real downsides to one.  Before I put mine on, I was concerned that the shells might come loose during firing but they are pretty securely held in place.

In my opinion, the tactical shotgun is a very good choice for home defense.  I would imagine with the adrenaline flowing, holding a handgun in a accurate manner may be more  challenging than a tactical shotgun.

In my opinion, the tactical shotgun is a very good choice for home defense.  I would imagine with the adrenaline flowing, holding a handgun in a accurate manner may be more  challenging than a tactical shotgun.

It's more of a personal preference thing for me, both work fine.  For defending a position a shotgun is great but if I have to move through the house I like the maneuverability of a handgun.  

I am not a big fan of side-saddles, they tend to snag on stuff, however Speedfeed stocks are the cat's meow IMHO for carrying a few extra spare shells, they keep them tucked in the stock, easy to access but out of the way.
  • Like 1
Guest Grout

While the extra rds in the saddle do add some weight I've never noticed it affecting the balance.On a side note I shoot long guns left hand so the saddle is on the opposite side of the reciever ,Seems it would be distracting for a right hand shooter,could be why some don't like them.

Edited by Grout