Murfreesboro DUI Checkpoint Video Making its Way Across the Web

http://youtu.be/w-WMn_zHCVo

There is quite the argument about it on reddit right now, both for and against the police. If he'd had rolled his window down it would have been a moot point. But are we required to roll our windows down all the way? The quotes at the end of the video, if true, are disturbing.

What are the rules in Tennessee regarding checkpoints like this?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I believe this is an example of where that fine line exists between constitutional rights and law enforcement just doing their job based upon experience.   The dog scratches and sniff hit was just retribution for not going along with the officers commands.

while i respect the badge and the law it represents this is just another reason i don't respect those wearing it. the driver followed every command given but still we see the intimidation tactics of the gestapo vented upon this young person. i would bet every Glock i own if the comrade outside the car had not seen the camera they would have found "drugs" in the car. Age profiling if i ever saw it. 

• Like 1

I like the part when the officer said the alert wasn't very good.

Myself, I don't give officers a hard time, no need in it. 

However right or wrong I believe if they want to search, they will find a reason.

BTW, I thought a drug dog alert was for them to sit down?  Seems different stories/departments may have different alerts?

I like the part when the officer said the alert wasn't very good.

Myself, I don't give officers a hard time, no need in it. 

However right or wrong I believe if they want to search, they will find a reason.

BTW, I thought a drug dog alert was for them to sit down?  Seems different stories/departments may have different alerts?

Dogs can't talk. It's simply a way for them to search your vehicle without consent, especially when you're being a dick.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Cliff's Notes: Kid goes looking for trouble and finds it.

With a shitbag officer who got but hurt the kid did no more than he was required to instead of bowing to his authoritah.

The kid may have been looking for trouble, but Deputy Ross and those that assisted him (like the K9 handler) were under no obligation to provide it. They chose to act in an unprofessional and possibly illegal manner that has now opened up the RCSO to a possible lawsuit. If any of the residents of Rutherford County want to lay blame for their tax dollars having to defend a lawsuit and possibly pay out a judgement/settlement, then they have to look no further than Deputy Ross and his accomplices that night. Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 12
  • Moderators

What lawsuit? How was the little twerp damaged? You can't just sue somebody for pissing you off, especially not cops. It's their job :)

There are plenty of examples of municipalities paying out because of lawsuits arising from civil rights violations by officers in cases like this.

Also, I wonder what the odds are about a defense attorney being able to use this video as evidence to impinge upon the reliability of a RCSO K9 alert signal when trying suppress evidence that followed on from such an alert? The false positive alert is pretty damn flagrant in this video.
  • Like 2

There's no doubt the K-9 "alert" was completely bogus. The handler told the dog to jump on the window. It wasn't as if the dog actually alerted to anything. His paws hit the window and slid down, just as would have happened if any other untrained dog jumped at the window. 

There are plenty of examples of municipalities paying out because of lawsuits arising from civil rights violations by officers in cases like this.

Also, I wonder what the odds are about a defense attorney being able to use this video as evidence to impinge upon the reliability of a RCSO K9 alert signal when trying suppress evidence that followed on from such an alert? The false positive alert is pretty damn flagrant in this video.

Yep when the officer said that the kid knew his rights and the other guy chimed in that it wasn't a good hit on camera then saw the camera I bet that was a big O **** moment!