Snake guns

Chris

No body , No crime . What snake ,  Just hear say , everyone knows you can't believe everything you read on the net  .  

We have problems with Copperheads here. Last one we came across was less than 10 feet from the back of the garage and I almost stepped on it.  Before that 2 at the barn , This was a few years ago before I started cleaning everything up . Also the reason I have been cleaning up.

Others close by ( less than 1 mile ) have had rattlesnakes dead in the road. I also talked to someone who had a rattlesnake in his yard a week ago. But we haven't  had any that we saw here yet.

I have been  clearing the brush around here and going to have a nice field with targets at the bottom of the hill.

• Like 1
Guest Bonedaddy

Rattlers is one thang we don't hafta worry 'bout 'round here but they sho' is a bunch of'm 'round my brother's house in Desoto county, MS, as well as, copperheads and cottonmouths. Got all that cool kudzu to hide in down there. His choco lab got bit by one or the other, a couple years ago but she lived. Dogs are damn near immune to'm.

It is a shame that the lives of snakes are held in higher regard than one's family members ( some of whom are so young, they don't know the danger they may be in). I'm sorry, but if i see a venomous snake near me i shouldn't be fined or arrested for protecting myself or my family.

So i won't be reporting any killed snakes on this forum or anywhere else for that matter. Kill them at last resort though. But if the girlfriend or wife( whenever i get married) shouts for me to kill it, well i got to make her feel safe.... ranger or no ranger.....

• Like 3

Come on guys. Really?! Shoot the stupid snake and keep your family safe. Common sense dictates.

when was the last time they legislated common sense? It ain't as common as it used to be.

A hoe or shovel is a fearsome snake killer. More efficient and discreet than a gun, but hey, we're gun guys right? 12 gauge skeet load of #9 is almost as efficient as choppin' hoe.
  • Like 1

when was the last time they legislated common sense? It ain't as common as it used to be.

A hoe or shovel is a fearsome snake killer. More efficient and discreet than a gun, but hey, we're gun guys right? 12 gauge skeet load of #9 is almost as efficient as choppin' hoe.

AND -- you don't have to get as close to the nasty buggers.  A shotgun blast is much more satisfying.  I shoot carpenter bees - why shouldn't I shoot poisonous snakes too?

Edited by enfield
Guest Bonedaddy

Bugs ain't anamools. Big ass spiders require mulitple 12 gauge magnum rounds, in my book. Slugs preferably. Or they should, anyway. I 'bout broke my own nose cuz of walkin' into garden spiders web, once. Most wardens won't pay any mind, as long as, you're not out just deliberately killin' snakes for the fun of it.

Guest Bonedaddy

Dat's wut I'm a sayin.....just sayin'..... Snakes have almost never snuck up on me but spiders.....F'm! Though, I'm not as bad as I used to be 'bout'm. Still don't like'm one bit.

Guest Bonedaddy

Don't know 'bout fish. It makes sense to me but I think differently than the law makers do. Hell, you're raisin'm and you stocked'm and vital to your livelyhood I'd be thankin'.

I have a Composite stock H&R Pardner single shot  .410 using #4 shot, 3 inch shells that hangs on my garage wall for snakes.  I live between large pieces of property abutting a hollow with a creek, prime breeding grounds for copperheads. I Tuff-Cloth the piece leaving minimum maintenance. I don't go looking for snakes but I don't tolerate any close relationships either! .410 is best choice due to limited range of bore. I don't have to worry about knocking out windows in houses 300 yards away!

i

Guest Bonedaddy

That's what I like 'bout the Ciruit Judge. .410 is just a good all around property tool. Purdy good as blastin' big holes in a intruder with that 4 shot at close range, too. Might as well be a coffee can sized boolit.

If you shoot one, don't tell us about it. ;)

That's what Im saying

Sometimes your better off not saying a thing :shrug:

Sometimes shooting a snake is like shooting a coyote..... And yes coyotes and snakes are good bc they are like the earths garbage disposal sometimes. That's why it's also illegal to shoot vultures. Edited by TLRMADE

What he said...this isn't a hoe forum!

Guest Bonedaddy

That's a diamond back water snake and they love to eat fish. I had one come up and tried to eat a bream I had on a stringer that was way bigger than his head but he tried, anyway and the damn fish got stuck in his mouth. I had to pull it outta there. He cruised on off after I did. Found one that tried to eat a big ass bull frog, ass first and it got stuck, too. By the time I found'm the snake was almost dead but the frog was fine and hopped his happy butt off. Purdy sure the snake died, though.

This guy was eating my catfish I just stocked two weeks prior.

M&P .45c with CCI shot shells.

Undisclosed location.....

You realize that's a harmless, nonvenomous water snake right?

Just like a coyote is harmless, but they destroy livestock. The snake was harmless but they were destroying hundreds of dollars of fish.

That's a diamond back water snake and they love to eat fish.

Technically, Northern Watersnake. Very common widespread species:

mURI_temp_a6b84aad.gif

Just like a coyote is harmless, but they destroy livestock. The snake was harmless but they were destroying hundreds of dollars of fish.

Oh, c'mon.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1