I do not want to damage my M1 with reloads

I usually fire Greek surplus ammo in my correct HRA M1 Garand. I found a great deal on 192 rounds of some very professional looking reloads. I have no idea who made these reloads.  I also understand the pressure issue and I do not want to damage my M1.  They appear to be molly coated and are loaded in new US made Enbloc clips. Is there anyway or anyone that can determine if these are safe to fire?  Or should I just fire these in my surplus bolt action rifles? 

I'd suggest you give the CMP a call and ask them. We shot up a lot of Greek ammo in local matches with no issues but I don't remember

any moly coated reloads in the boxes (our Greek came in 20 rd boxes). I'd also make sure the rifle was completed cleaned after shooting as

some of that Greek might use older caustic primers which is harsh on the metal. If you shoot them then take a look down the brass and 

see if they're boxer or berdan primed.

Lp

I am sure most everybody will tell you the same thing, when it comes to reloads NEVER use anybodys but your own, NEVER!!

This is what concerns me.  I know nothing about reloading and these were a very good deal.  anyway to tell what the load is?  would these be safe in a 1903 or an Eddy?

Really no way to tell. You could pull a bullet and dump/measure the powder, but you don't know the type of powder so not much help except to make sure not over charged if compared to some manuals.
Are these factory reloads, or just from a stranger?

I just bought this like new 2004 Springfield Armory (IL) M1 Garand on Auction Arms from a gun dealer out of state. I received it Monday at a local gun dealer. While I was at the gun dealer I also picked up a pack of 30-06 165 grain reloads.
I took the rifle to my in-laws yesterday and proudly showed it to my Army Vet Father-In-Law. I told me many of his memories shooting one like it. I then took it outside and loaded it up thinking I would allow my Father-In-Law the honor of the first shot...
However, he was a little slow in getting out there, so I carefully took aim at a distant bucket and pulled the trigger...
In an explosion that rang my ears and hurt my hand, the gun was destroyed. After a few minutes of holding my throbbing hand, I checked for other injuries, and found none except to my wallet. $1,000 gone!
Checking the gun, well you can see the stock was destroyed. I found the remaining seven rounds, of which one was so badly mangled, the bullet was missing.
The bolt was locked in place and would not move, but looking up inside from the bottom I could see what was left of the case, and I could see the damage to the bolt.
I found part of the stock 36' to my right, and part of the stock 35' to my left.
This morning I used a rawhide mallet to open the receiver as recommended my S/A. The case looks to be damaged by extreme pressure.
I went to Gander Mountain last night and talked to their S/A authorized gunsmith.
He said I need to contact S/A and ship the gun back to them, including some of the reloads for testing.
I have since downloaded their M1 manual and read that using reloads cancels any warranty.
I am thinking about contacting a lawyer. Someone needs to buy me a new M1 and compensate me for my hand, which is still stiff and hurting, I just don't know who yet. I am guessing the reloading company.
It was a bitter sweet Thanksgiving. I am thankful I didn't let my F-I-L take the first shot. I am thankful I am still alive, and will heal. But I am ticked off that my new gun, something I have lusted after since that early 1990s, is now in pieces, and I'm out one grand.
I will keep you posted as events transpire.
Alan

This is from the Surplus Rifle Forum site. Looks like the photos were removed. thread entitled 2004 M1 SA Destroyed on first shot

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=66812

Edited by glock55

Really no way to tell. You could pull a bullet and dump/measure the powder, but you don't know the type of powder so not much help except to make sure not over charged if compared to some manuals.
Are these factory reloads, or just from a stranger?

These reloads are from a stranger at a flea market.   

Even if you could find out what the components were by dissecting one cartridge that still would not be good enough. Are you willing to take a chance that whoever did the reloading has enough quality control to insure that they were all done the same way. There is a reason it is against the law to sell reloads without the proper licensing.

Even if you could find out what the components were by dissecting one cartridge that still would not be good enough. Are you willing to take a chance that whoever did the reloading has enough quality control to insure that they were all done the same way. There is a reason it is against the law to sell reloads without the proper licensing.

makes allot of sense. 

No way I'd ever shoot these. Pull the bullets, dump the powder, and use the components when you do start to reload (except the powder which is an unknown).

Anyone interested in helping a brother out?

You have the case, primer and bullet. Just need powder.

This may sound like a stupid question but I could just manually press the round back in the case? Can I use the puller to tap on the bullet to seat it?

Edited by NRA

are you sure what the projectile is ?  any pictures of the suspect ammo ?

might want to invest in a collet puller you would use in a press 

impact or hammer pullers can/may set of tracer ammo  since we don't know where these came from it is a remote possibility

I'd use a tubing cutter on the first one to get a look at the back of a projectile

Just a thought.

You have the case, primer and bullet. Just need powder.

Measure and weigh the bullets. I have some reloads in 303 Savage, and someone loaded them with .312 bullets.....the bore on a 303 Savage is .308!!!

Do not fire ammunition of unknown manufacture.

I am sure most everybody will tell you the same thing, when it comes to reloads NEVER use anybodys but your own, NEVER!!

+1.  I only shoot what I've loaded or what I might consider my mentor's loads.   Beyond that I would not shoot anyone loads.  I also would not load for anyone else because I still do not consider my self anywhere near an expert and would not want to had someone else my mistake.