New 1000 yard gun range in Chapel hill.

• Administrator

Anybody know anything about this guy running it? That's about 15 miles from me. $150 plus $50 application fee. Limited to 500 members. 1000yd range by appointment only.

I may have to go check it out.

Google says his past life was working in construction.  Maybe still does.  His name's not familiar to me.

Edited to add:  Found some links on various long range shooting forums that indicate that a background check is part of the application process.  That would make me feel better about the people I'd be shooting around.  Sounds like he's doing it right:

-1000yds, covered shooting benches and room for prone shooters. Large separated pistol/combat rifle 0-50yd ranges. Nice office, training facility. Memberships limited to 500 at this time. The Owner is very open to any idea members have to improve the facility and Has plans & room to expand if needed. 

Range is open daylight to dark daily. Members will have access code to gate and office and can come & go as you please. ID badges are supplied and required when on premises.
Range supplies Golf cart for rifle shooters to put up & check targets. Also targets and assorted range supplies offered onsite " honor system"

My understanding is that the 1000 yard range only requires an appointment the first time you shoot so he can check you out. He also requires a background check. I haven’t seen it yet; a friend shot at it and said it was nice. He said they are still working on it.

I stopped by after work today. There are two rifle stations one pistol station and a 25 yard sight in station. The 1000 yard range is separated from the main rifle range. The main rifle range has a 100 yard and 300 yard berm. A 500 yard berm is getting setup, but not in yet. The firing position for 100-500 is covered and has two red "cold range" beacon lights. I like this featurer. The pistol range has a few barricades and steel plates. I'm going to put in for my daughter and my self and see what happens.    

Did you get any idea how many stations it will be at build out?  With a 500 member limit hopefully it will be enough. Nothing worse than standing elbows to elbows at the gun range. 

Edited by Dad03

Did you get any idea how many stations it will be at build out?  With a 500 member limit hopefully it will be enough. Nothing worse than standing elbows to elbows at the gun range.

Especially when guys like me are cranking off 50 BMG all day! :lol:
Don't worry. The background check won't last long because it would discriminate against and exclude felons and violent criminals from exercising their right to get better at their chosen profession....

Oh wait...

My understanding is that the 1000 yard range only requires an appointment the first time you shoot so he can check you out. He also requires a background check. I haven’t seen it yet; a friend shot at it and said it was nice. He said they are still working on it.

I'll add...

He also told my Uncle (sent him since he lives 7 minutes away) that if you shoot the big cals like 50 BMG, you have to notify them first and get permission before you come out to shoot. Edited by JohnC
Well, hold your horses 50 BMG owners....

I talked to Tony on the phone a bit ago and he is not sure he's going to allow 50 BMG rifles at all.

He is worried about damage to the backstops and potential stray from someone missing a target tearing up his target stands. Backstops getting pounded would require him to run heavy equipment and rebuild them often, so that will cost him more money. He's also afraid someone might take a 50 on the shorter ranges and damage the steel targets as they're not heavy enough to stop a 50 BMG.

So that said, before he allows the 50 BMG, he's going to test fire my 50 BMG and gauge how bad it tears up the berm at 1,000 yards.

So here are the possible outcomes discussed so far:

If it doesn't damage the berm to the point of needing more frequent and extensive repair than normal, the 50 BMG will be OK.

If there is light/acceptable damage, and if he decides to allow the 50 BMG, he might require you to repair the damage yourself or pay higher range fees since he will have to do extra repair work to keep it maintained.

I'm pretty sure if he allows them, it would only be on the 1,000 yard range as the bullet would have a bit less energy at that distance.

Keep in mind, they are still trying to figure out the rules for the 50, so all of what he told me today could change by tomorrow.

Edit: I will add this. If I understood him correctly, he told Barrett and his guys if he decides to allow 50 BMG's, if they damage anything, they have repair it or pay to have it repaired. Edited by JohnC

OMG, we're only talking dirt, run a tractor over it and its good as new...
The 40-50 rounds of 50 BMG I'd shoot on the long range will pail in comparison to the 1400+ rounds of 556 I'll pound the imtermedite burm with...wonder if they thought of that.

I’m getting this all second hand, but I was told there is a house in the area, and he is also concerned about careless (or just plain bad) shooters skipping 50 cals over the berm.

You 50 cal shooters really do need to become a protected class people discriminate against you all the time. biggrin.gif

I’m getting this all second hand, but I was told there is a house in the area, and he is also concerned about careless (or just plain bad) shooters skipping 50 cals over the berm.

You 50 cal shooters really do need to become a protected class people discriminate against you all the time. biggrin.gif

Whoever my uncle spoke with in person said something about the owners sons cabin is back there, but it is not inline with the 1,000 yard range.