Dumbing down of American Continues.

And the dumbing down of America continues. If you win to many times, people want you to step down and let others win. In my day, that is where 2nd and 3rd place came in and if you don't get one of the top 3, you didn't win anything.

The Librarian has "proposed drawing the contest winner's name from a hat." Seriously, for sports play offs soon if this tend continues will play though the brackets and then draw a winner at the end. Guess what, not everyone is even and only trying to make everyone even is going to put people in a real shock when they hit the real world and find out life isn't fair.

http://now.msn.com/librarian-wants-to-change-reading-contest-rules-after-boy-wins-for-the-fifth-time

2nd place is the first loser. I guess parents don’t want to explain that to their kids.

However…. Reading 63 books while on summer vacation? I’m guessing in real life Tyler is the loser.

I guess he could be killing brain cells in front of a tv or video game system instead.

Call him a loser when he is your boss at 18 years old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 2
My grandfather won dobro player of the year so many times they gave him a lifetime achievement award so they could give it to someone else the next year. I see the point, but not with kids. They don't understand.

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

2nd place is the first loser. I guess parents don’t want to explain that to their kids.

However…. Reading 63 books while on summer vacation? I’m guessing in real life Tyler is the loser.

Spoken like a moron. I am a huge reader, always have been. I easily read 30 plus books a month growing up, and still played outside, grew into a successful young man, served in the Marine Corps, and now this "nerdy loser" who read to much, and still reads 5-15 novels a month does logging, blacksmithing, log cabin construction, farming, masonry, works at a gun shop and teachs survival classes. Calling a kid a "real life loser" for liking to read is about the sorriest damn thing I've seen here. Even said in jest, it was a dumbass statement. And yes it did touch a nerve.

As for the kid wining every year, competition builds greatness. Not everyone can be the best at everything. Thats why not everyone can be an olympic athlete, a special operations warrior, a marathon winner, etc. We all have different skills, they should be celebrated, not squashed in the name of equality.
Tapatalk ate my spelling.
Edited by Spots
  • Like 1

Success used to be rewarded. Now it's punished. 

Sounds to me like the librarian is a Democrat.

FTFY. 

Disclaimer: The above post was edited by me, and was not Nacho Daddy's original post. If I turn up missing, you know Robert got pissed at me again, and left me bleeding in a ditch somewhere  :rofl:

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 2

FTFY. 

Disclaimer: The above post was edited by me, and was not Nacho Daddy's original post. If I turn up missing, you know Robert got pissed at me again, and left me bleeding in a ditch somewhere  :rofl:

but looks like a real correction to me.

This is really pretty simple.....Conservatives (or at least the old school type) are for individuality, making your own way, paying your own way, being successful IF you have the desire and are willing to work hard, protect your own because no one else an do it better than you.

Dimowit liberals? "Don worry mon.....be happy! We are all you need!"
Guest TresOsos

At 9 years old Tyler is smarter than the library Director.

Tyler says the furore has made him "a little bit angry" because Gandron has proposed drawing the contest winner's name from a hat. "How would it even be a contest if you just picked a name out of a hat?" he asked. 

We should just give them all reading medals! Everyone's a winner! Even the kids who refuse to read! We can't have kids feeling bad now can we?

This child and his brazen lack of respect for mediocrity.... pitiful.... how can we truly be united if we're not all on the level????

Spoken like a moron. Even said in jest, it was a dumbass statement. And yes it did touch a nerve.

Spots, I sincerely apologize. As I said it was a joke. I have made jokes in poor taste before and I’m not sure I won’t do it again. All I can do is offer my apology to anyone that is offended. I would go back and delete it, but it is quoted, so not much point in that.

To be fair, I heard this kid took performance enhancing supplements to achieve his record.  I think maybe the best solution to this problem is to "Tyler-proof" the contest by introducing certain criteria to make the challenge more "fair".  If he still continues to win the contest we launch an investigation into whether he took supplements to aid his accomplishment, such as ginkoba to help with concentration or candybars to keep him energized and awake.  Once we prove his guilt with our witch hu-- er, investigation, we can strip him of his previous titles and make him a pariah in the reading community.  Then we can retroactively award 1st place to all the runners up in the previous competitions, regardless of what means they used to achieve their status; even if they also used ginkoba and candy bars.... well, because we just don't like it when it's the same person winning.

Making things fair is awesome; I love me some fair.

• Like 5

TMF, are you claiming that child read all those books using stare-roids? :stare:  

I think you might be onto something there.

Edited by PapaB
Guest ThePunisher
I can recall a lot of the mischief I did in when I was in school and growing up, b/c I guess I was a little immature and anti- authority. Can you imagine when all this PC libtard s### goes totally overboard, and we no longer have 1st Amendment rights or any Constitutional rights that soon will be nullified by the Libtard/Commies? There will be lots of people who will resort to mischief just to pi## off and annoy the commie authorities, and to remind them that free people don't take lightly to losing their liberties and freedoms. All the people not toeing the line to the Libtard/Commies will be considered anarchists, and there will be lots of suffering for those that don't toe the line. But, just like a kid enjoying his mischief in school, especially when he didn't get caught, there will be a lot of people that are gonna enjoy pi##ing off the commie authorities especially if they don't get caught.

now remember little fella, as long as you try it does not matter.   2+1 = 13?  Good job.  You my son have a future at nasa...   and if you miss the target planet entirely with your billion dollar sensor remember you did your best!

I am OK with NO contests of any kind.  I do think that such often lead to the same few winning everything and others trying so hard to get nothing year after year is not encouraging anyone.  But if you are going to have them, then winner takes all.    If you want the whole class to feel good, buy em all an ice cream for being great kids, but don't call that a contest.

Edited by Jonnin

My kids played soccer in Montgomery Co. There was no official score keeping. However, every kid on each team knew how many goals were scored and who the winner was. Winning and losing are part of life. The adults are the ones who don't get it!

Guest 6.8 AR

My kids played soccer in Montgomery Co. There was no official score keeping. However, every kid on each team knew how many goals were scored and who the winner was. Winning and losing are part of life. The adults are the ones who don't get it!

No, those people who are in charge of the game have replaced good sense with political correctness. I coached soccer

in Clarksville for several years and can promise you it used to be different. You're very right. You can't achieve greatness

if everyone is kept out of competition and replaced by a pat on the back for participating. The process rules out those

who wanted to be there on their own, and not the parent's. I guess MCSA has gone PC? I don't doubt it.

Guest ThePunisher

How else can a society be "ruled" by liberals and/or dictators unless you dumb down several generations?

It's gotta be the fluoridation of the water that people have been drinking, or 50 years of pot smoking that's fried the people's brains to allow such lunacy to go on.