Breaching Hawk

I haven't been working this week, so I took some time today to make a breaching hawk for a buddy. This is made from a 24 oz eastwing claw hammer, convex ground blade, short spike with the rubber handle left on for comfort. The bladr is 2.5" wide, the head is 6" from end to end, and its 16" from top of the head to bottom of the handle. It was a fun project for sure. It was made with a smaller head and spike for speed. The long handle uses leverage to generate speed and power, instead of relying on head weight to make power which slows the hawk down and wears you out faster 20130827_172514_zps6db4d316.jpg20130827_172549_zps2b9446a1.jpg20130827_172558_zps367a6145.jpg Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Edited by Spots

Very cool! But please stop that, I have resisted the urge to get a hawk for years and you, Sir, are not helping!

A hawk is a nasty weapon when its used right, and they make good tools too. You should google them sometime, see some of the new styles guys have come up with recently.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

[quote name="Lumber_Jack" post="1022440" timestamp="1377644179"] Ok, I want one....seriously. :D That's awesome. Will it hold an edge you think?[/quote] I hardened it in oil, then tempered at 400 degrees. A file skates off of it and my belt grinder definetly didn't like it. Id say its in the 54-56 rockwell range from what I know dealing with knives. It hardening in oil tells me its high carbon, and I know estwing uses tool steel for their hammers. Tapatalk ate my spelling. Edited by Spots
  • Like 1

Niiiice! I was about to PM you and ask if you had anything new. That looks slightly familiar, ;).

I might have stole an idea from a certain someone lol. I need a brick hammer. Welding thise claws together was a pita

Guest Broomhead

Steal away my friend. My ideas are free for the taking.

Hey, got my RR rail cut finally. Did it myself too. Actually just snapped it after cutting it some.

Steal away my friend. My ideas are free for the taking.

Hey, got my RR rail cut finally. Did it myself too. Actually just snapped it after cutting it some.

Jesus that was a big chunk of steel.

I haven't been working this week, so I took some time today to make a breaching hawk for a buddy. This is made from a 24 oz eastwing claw hammer, convex ground blade, short spike with the rubber handle left on for comfort. The bladr is 2.5" wide, the head is 6" from end to end, and its 16" from top of the head to bottom of the handle. It was a fun project for sure. It was made with a smaller head and spike for speed. The long handle uses leverage to generate speed and power, instead of relying on head weight to make power which slows the hawk down and wears you out faster

Of all the things you've posted, this is my favorite thing you've made yet. Very nice! If you had to make another to sell, what do you reckon it'd cost somebody?

Of all the things you've posted, this is my favorite thing you've made yet. Very nice! If you had to make another to sell, what do you reckon it'd cost somebody?

Since I'm not a vendor or benefactor right now, I dont price or sell stuff on the open forum. I sent you a pm.