Yellow Jackets, Scrouge of the Yard!

Moped

I was weeding eating around a large flower bed, on a very steep bank in my front yard.  Obviously, I pissed them off for some reason.  They got me 5 or 6 times on my back (through my shirt), twice on my left arm, at least 4 or 5 times on mt left leg and numerous times on my right leg, before I got away.  "Revenge is a dish best served cold" as Dr. Sheldon Cooper would say.  Their asses are grass,  this evening!!! ;(

• Like 1

They got me a few weeks ago.  Two separate colonies got me on two different days.  Those stings hurt for days, and I still have scabs where they stung me.

We no longer have yellow jackets in our yard.  Although, I went the consumer yellow-jacket foam route - took about 4 cans.  We are too close to the river for me to pour fuel in the ground with any kind of conscious.

Good luck!  Get 'em...

• Like 1
Guest Keal G Seo

Ah yeah, those boogers suck. 2 summers in a row now I have had them nest right under my wheelchair ramp at the door. So anytime someone came by, until I could get some help getting rid of them, they got ate up. Worst day was the first time they few out, got both adult neighbors, all three of their kids and 3 out of 4 of my dogs.

I got something to fix the problem next year though. Piece of carpet between the ramp and concrete should seal up any holes/unevenness they they getting though.

Something digs them up in my yard. I assume it may be a fox. I've found several hives dug out lately. You'd be surprised how deep and large they are; at least I was.

I think skunks dig up yellow jackets nests

Quick search suggests I'm right, they will dig up and eat the nest. Edited by tennessee01tacoma
They've been really bad this year. I've found several more nests than usual.

Today I found another nest and did something I've always wanted to try. I parked a running push mower on top of it and let it run for a while. I'll check the results tomorrow.

(PSA TO FOLLOW)
BTW, it's a good idea to keep Benadryl, or an Epipen if possible, handy. I wasn't allergic to stings until about 9 years ago. Then I got into a nest while I was way back in the woods and had a reaction. A person I was working with had some Benadryl and I took two. I'm convinced it saved my life. Now I take shots and carry an Epipen.

Quick search suggests I'm right, they will dig up and eat the nest.

I knew I liked skunks for a reason! The enemy of my enemy is my friend! But they still stink.

The hive is no more! Edited by Moped

Quick search suggests I'm right, they will dig up and eat the nest.

Could well be skunks. I've seen foxes near the holes, and I've heard they'll eat them as well. I did smell a skunk around here a few nights ago.

I do know the hole is way smaller than what my dog would dig were he responsible.