What brand of ammo is best for .40 & .45?

Guest TNative

I wanted to get you guys opinions on different brands of ammo and what stores to shop for ammo at.

If any Memphis TGO have any input on some local stores to buy quality ammo, it would be much appreciated.

the only ammo issue i have ever had was S&B in a kel-tec P3AT. was told the primers were too hard for it and it wasn't reliable with that ammo only.

as far as 40 and 45 go, anything you find should be fine. i would only shoot steel or aluminum cased ammo if its half the price of brass as you can save the brass to reload later or sell it off to others who do.

in my experience, my personal reloads are the best brand for my guns.

Bass Pro had decent amount of ammo last time I was there, bout a week ago. If it is not on the shelf check with the guys at the gun counter. Sometimes they get busy and don't get a chance to put it out. They had Federal (American Eagle) and Winchester in both calibers you asked about. Both have functioned well in my guns in the past.
Best brand of ammo? Ford or Chevy? :)
Before I started reloading, I would buy one box of 2-4 brands and shoot them. Then would continue buying the brand that was the most accurate for that specific pistol.
But, if your just target shooting buy whatever is cheapest - can shoot more that way. I second buying brass cased ammo.

If you are talking about defensive rounds, I have Hornady Critical Duty and Speer Gold dots. But Barnes, Federal, and Remington have very good options also.

Best brand of ammo? Ford or Chevy? :)
Before I started reloading, I would buy one box of 2-4 brands and shoot them. Then would continue buying the brand that was the most accurate for that specific pistol.
But, if your just target shooting buy whatever is cheapest - can shoot more that way. I second buying brass cased ammo.

If you are talking about defensive rounds, I have Hornady Critical Duty and Speer Gold dots. But Barnes, Federal, and Remington have very good options also.

Lol ima Chevy man I must say :)...but I preciate the advice on defensive rounds, I just bout a new FNH FNS .40. Haven't shot it yet tho.
Like others have said... cheapest thing you can find from a recognized brand is where I'd start. For some reason I really like Federal. I'm a reloader, and I've had really good luck with their brass lasting through lots or reloadings. I seem to get fewer split/cracked cases from their stuff, and their stuff is primarily what I have. Other brands are the minority in my brass buckets, but I seem to get more scrap from the minority than the majority.

Lol ima Chevy man I must say :)...but I preciate the advice on defensive rounds, I just bout a new FNH FNS .40. Haven't shot it yet tho.

Im a Ford man...

I don't think you can go wrong with factory ammo for plinking. Blazer is as good as Remington, Monarch as good as Winchester,etc for punching holes in paper. I have shot most factory brands and isn't much difference in any unless you are shooting competition or step up to rifle ammo. I haven't had any issues related to the ammo that I can remember.,

I've never had the chance to shoot a FNH but have held a couple and they feel good. Good luck getting some cheap ammo and enjoy shooting.

Im a Ford man...

I don't think you can go wrong with factory ammo for plinking. Blazer is as good as Remington, Monarch as good as Winchester,etc for punching holes in paper. I have shot most factory brands and isn't much difference in any unless you are shooting competition or step up to rifle ammo. I haven't had any issues related to the ammo that I can remember.,

I've never had the chance to shoot a FNH but have held a couple and they feel good. Good luck getting some cheap ammo and enjoy shooting.

Good stuff man and yea the FNH is a new addition for me because I'm used to the Glock but it feels great. I love the 2012 style FNS

Sorry if I sound like as smart arse, but I'm completely serious.  Buy 1 box of whatever variety you can find, where ever you can find it.  Try them and see which works best.  Some may not cycle, some may have terrible groups, some may be really dirty, ...  Then again, you may not notice much difference in any of them.  There's only 1 way to find out.

• Like 1

best for what?  The best ammo for shooting beer cans in your yard at 10 yards is whatever you can find at the lowest price so long as it actually functions in your firearm.  Best for self defense is your choice of $1.5 per shot stuff with low flash powder (for night), a well made hollow point bullet, and good quality control (name brand) along with what will function in your gun.  The best for accuracy and competition is the ammo you make for yourself that is tailored to the quirks of your gun.  The best for hunting depends on the type of animal but you typically use soft point (not hollow point) heavy grain and hotly loaded stuff that as before works in your gun.  

Most of the time when ammo does NOT work in a gun, it is one of 2 things: 1) super cheaply made and the inconsistent and often light powder charges fail to fully cycle the slide each time or 2) the shape of the projectile does not feed well.

I carry whatever my dept issues me. That is whatever is on the state contract. Usually Winchester. I don't think there is much difference in defensive ammo for pistols. I don't worry about different brands or grains unless I'm shooting it out of a bolt action rifle.

For target shooting it would be whatever you kind find on the shelf that is cheapest. I usually stay away from steel case ammo. Georgia Arms reloads are great if you want to buy and have it shipped to you.

For SD I have had no problems with JHP ammo from Winchester, Remington, Speer, Federal, Hornady. I have some Georgia Arms .357mag with speer gold dots for my lever action rifle but I also use them in my revolvers.