even iPhone users aren't THIS dumb...are they?

BigK

Okay, so I was just kidding about iPhone users being dumb. I only recently switched to an Android phone, myself. However, there's no denying that Apple spent a lot of money marketing to customers who aren't very tech-savvy. Well, here's the result:

http://www.slashgear.com/ios-7-waterproof-hoax-goes-viral-lesson-learned-24298935/

Apparently the hoax went viral and Apple got tons of calls from angry users who tested the new feature, much to their disappointment. Sorry if I seem insensitive, but that's freakin' hilarious to me that anyone was gullible enough to believe it, yet alone confident enough in the new software to try it.

http://www.slashgear.com/ios-7-waterproof-hoax-expands-with-airdrop-protection-27299449/

This newest hoax is almost as funny, claiming it can now survive a 1.5 m drop and land on it's back to protect the glass. I can't wait to see how many fall for this one too. Maybe it's all a clever ploy by Apple to force users to buy new phones (just kidding, of course).

That's is not so dumb when you consider that Kyocera just released a waterproof smartphone.  Apple users are accustomed to getting cutting-edge technology (let's face it, they are the ones who revolutionized touchscreen smart phones and tablets, those devices that Android platform manufacturers are constantly trying to copy and improve upon).  That said, there's no way in hell I would dunk my iPhone on purpose, even if Apple released such a feature.  I'd just assume it's there and hope I never need to use it.  

Guest Lester Weevils
I think the funny part is being fooled into believing that a software update would make the phone waterproof. Edited by Lester Weevils

I believe people fall for that, just because of the dumb things users do.  I deal with allot of PC id10ts every day.

However, it is not limited to computers/phones.

I know a lady that works at a metal recycling place that buys old cars.  People call her to ask how much a car/truck might weight and they often want to add the color as if that might matter.

Edited by vontar
Guest nra37922

I believe people fall for that, just because of the dumb things users do.  I deal with allot of PC id10ts every day.

However, it is not limited to computers/phones.

I know a lady that works at a metal recycling place that buys old cars.  People call her to ask how much a car/truck might weight and they often want to add the color as if that might matter.

Agree.  How else does one explain the Ohole getting elected not once but twice....

My IPhone 4 went for a swim in an OuterBox Defender, spent about 3 seconds under. Two years later it still works, no doubt the best phone I have ever had.

IMO, that's an awesome testimonial for the OtterBox, not the phone.

Nonetheless, my daughter dropped her iPhone in the dogs' water bowl. She shook out the water quickly and dropped it into a container of rice to absorb the moisture and it kept working. Six months later it fell 3 feet onto the carpet runner on the stairs and died. The technician at the Apple store wouldn't do anything for us, because the watermark was tripped. I explained that it dying had nothing to do with water, but he basically said too bad so sad, the warranty is voided.

Wow! You can have sex with your Iphones now?!?!?

Always could. Just drop it in the water and you're screwed!

On the other hand, the one thing that keeps me from buying a so-called "smart" phone is the old Casio GZone flip phone (Yes, boys & girls, I'm an outdated, uncool square) I bought 4 years ago in July: Waterproof (I've carried it while wade fishing where it remained underwater and/or soaked for 5 hours straight and dropped it into water deep enough that I had to dive for it and it never so much as fogged the screen.), shockproof (lost count of how many times I've dropped it from considerable heights with nothing worse than a few scratches), dustproof... just can't tear the darn thing up! Verizon keeps telling me that I'm eligible for an upgrade and I keep telling them I'd be a damn fool to trade something I can't destroy for something I can't afford to replace.

Oh, and I loved the look on the fancy app possessing, iphone using fisherman's face a while back when I pulled out my trusty ol' GZone, opened it and dunked it in the Clinch, looked at the screen and told him that the water temp. was 46 degrees. (Thought he was gonna' sh*t himself.) :pleased:

...TS...

That Casio GZone is a tough phone...it survives everything except a bonfire...

This was a few years ago, but falls, water, even being run over with a tractor didn't kill it. It slipped out of a pocket while tending a bonfire.

Going back to the original post, I saw this a few days ago. Hard to believe that people actually tried it, but there are multiple examples of how stupid some people are.
  • Like 1