Powder is still hard to come by

It's been almost a year since the great scare and run on all things firearms. I'm finding that primers are easier to find, but projectiles are hit and miss, and powder seems scarcer than it has been for a few months. 22 ammo is still non existent. Guns are more plentiful, but AR parts are hit or miss for availability. I thought it would have settled down more by now.

When will we return to normal stocked shelves?

What's weird is I'm looking for IMR 4320. I didn't think it would be a real hot item for hoarders.

30-30 bullets are also not available. I'm willing to bet that none of the major manufacturers have made a run of flat nosed .308 bullets in the past year, opting for more popular bullets.

Greg I'm not 100%, but I thought I saw some 150 cor-locs on Midway a couple days ago. If so I probably sould have ordered some but was really looking for .35 Rem bullets at the time. Starting to see primers as you said but not so much on powders around here either.

Caster what are using with the Unqiue in the .35?

I am definitely seeing more powders available than six months ago, as well. When I'm stocking up, I can't find everything I want in one place like I could a few years ago, but at the last gun show I found everything I needed between 3 vendors, for $20-23/lb. I was satisfied with that. Also, I could never find Ramshot powders locally 2-3 years ago, now I see them everywhere and have been happy to have some new stuff to try. :-)

Some types are still hens teeth.

Namely Unique. No easily found, and when you tell people I load 35 Remington and 308 Winchester with it, they get all stoopid looking.

I saw about four 8lb jugs of Unique at Outpost on Saturday afternoon.

Sorry I just noticed someone had already mentioned this.

Edited by Luke E.

Like primers, the issue with powder availability is a supply-and-demand story.  When the rush began and reloaders bought the store shelves clean, the components manufacturers were unable to satisfy the demand.  Their productiion could not keep up with the buyers' appetite for more and more and more components.  The wholesalers brought in their own response to ease the recovery.  It is rationing.  In times past when a supplier posted they had a product in stock any retailer could buy up all they could afford.  That has changed.  Now the wholesalers have the title "Allocated" beside the product they have in stock.  If the retailer has been a continuous customer with a respectable volume of purchases from the wholesaler they might get a portion of what is in stock, but not all they want.  As for the new customers, and the small volume dealers, they are routinely denied access to these rare products.  Sounds stingy, but at least the wholesalers are able to spread out their inventory to more of their established customers rather than flooding all they have to 1 or 2 who then may charge bootleg prices ans saying "we have it if you really want it" kind of marketing.  Be patient, I am seeing more and more powders and primers offered by wholesalers as time passes.  This is something like waiting for Christmas morning.

Stumpy

• 2 weeks later...

Never.

Hate to sound pessimistic but it's the truth. 

I think you may be right. More people are going to keep larger quanities of ammo. When it comes to powder, I won't flinch at buying an 8 pound jug, just because it may be my last chance. I lucked up last week at the Reloader's Bench. Those guys are working pretty hard to keep a decent stock.

BTW... they still have a 1k limit on primers by type.

Edited by mikegideon

I have a large load of atk powders on the way

unique in 1 ahd 8 pound sizes

bullseye and powder pistol in 1 pound sizes

others as well  we will be in franklin tn this weekend

Thats good to here. I need to make it out there but dont know if I'll make it.

How much is the 8lb jug of Unique?

Thats good to here. I need to make it out there but dont know if I'll make it.
How much is the 8lb jug of Unique?

I would like to know the price on a 8 lb. jug also.Do you have any 8 lb. jugs of IMR 4320 or 4895 and how much they are?
Thanks Jeff