Knox gun store burglarized

R_Bert

Surely they had internal sensors.  Sounds like a contractor did them in.  If not, a bad lesson to learn up front.

My house will trip with anything bigger than a cat....

Edited by R_Bert
Well, first thing that comes to mind is either no alarm or alarm not set. You would be surprised at the number of people that buy an alarm and then don't use it.

2dn thing, why were there guns left out of the safe? Makes me wonder.

3rd possibly alarm was disabled since he was too cheap (pure speculation) to foot the bill for a cell unit.

4th I agree with R_bert. You can't get into mine without trippin something. And a cell unit makes for a super fast transmission.

I don't know the owners but maybe its time to take stock on security needs instead of wants.
Guest TankerHC

Man that sucks, new business, first big weekend shut down by a freaken thief. Sometimes I really do appreciate guys like Roy Bean. We need more men of Roy Beans caliber. 

You would be shocked at the number of gun stores I've been in that leave them in the showcase at night.

I don't know of a single gun shop in Murfreesboro that doesn't leave their gun in the display cases and racks every night. Not saying that some of the little pawn shops don't put them in a safe but none of the gun shops do. I can't imagine the safe it would take to hold a couple places inventory.. They'd have to add on another 25% worth of building!

I don't know of a single gun shop in Murfreesboro that doesn't leave their gun in the display cases and racks every night. Not saying that some of the little pawn shops don't put them in a safe but none of the gun shops do. I can't imagine the safe it would take to hold a couple places inventory.. They'd have to add on another 25% worth of building!

Maybe, but if I couldn't get mine in a safe they would be chained down. Too many meth heads out there. I truly feel for the store owner and would suggest glass beaks, shock sensors, and a cell backup.
  • Like 1
Business decisions are based upon on risk and reward principals.  If this guy had a 3rd party financing, he likely had insurance, and is probably out the deductible only, and the ATF forms and report he must make for the loss of the inventory.  If this guy finance his own inventory, and he had no insurance, then I would assume his judgment for not having any, is now forever changed.  I would assume the investment for inventory safes now is whole lot clearer than 3 days ago. 

What we don't know is, was this 10 guns, 50 guns, etc.  If 10 guns, the loss is likely ~$4K, but if 50 guns, the loss is more like ~$20K.  If 10 guns, and the annual premium on insurance is $5K, then likely its not in his best interest to have insurance, but if 50 guns, likely good to have. Edited by Runco

I thought all shops put the guns in a safe at night? 

We don't in ours but then, our shop used to be a feed store and the main entrances have massive storm shudder doors(pretty much industrial garage doors) that weigh a couple hundred pounds each which they'd have to break the front glass and trigger the alarm to get through first, lol. As it was said above, we'd have to add on to the store just to make room for that kind of storage and it'd take about twenty to thirty minutes additionally just to lock up the inventory as we have about 200 firearms on hand.

Sounds like it would be harder to get in my house with my system than it did in that Gun Store. I have security lights on my house that are motion triggered and I test them each night right after dark. When the lights come on they light up everything around my home and carport. They also set off an alarm inside my house telling me that the lights just came on. Lights are a great deterrent by themselves because most bad guys depend on darkness to operate. Lights also light them up and at that point they become lighted targets so normally lights send them to some where else. I also have dead bolts on my doors with extra re-enforcement around that bolt input pin where it enters the door frame so it will take a lot of force for a home invasion entry. Enough support to give me time to prepare if they are determined to get in and then it will get messy..............jmho

• Like 1

Yeah, seems they've only been open less than two weeks.

- OS

I think it's been open for about a month now or a little longer. I was in there about two weeks ago and he said they been open for about two weeks. So about a month. I just thought it strange to open a new shop in a ( I'm sure) high strip mall rent area with such a small selection and inventory. When I was in there they had maybe three .22 based rifles,two or three Core based AR rifles an old Garand about three hunting rifles and about three shotguns. Their handgun showcase was small. Maybe three sections holding about 30 handguns if that. One section being Glocks, one holding quite a few Taurus models. Prices seemed average. Seems to me you would have to move a good little bit of inventory to stay in that area.