Enterprise car rental

UncleJak

I normally don't blast business, but oh my goodness. I had the worst experience ever today. I won't go into a lot of details, just trust me on this. I work in a customer service type field and know the difference between good service and poor service. I was treated very poorly today and talked bad about while I was still in their store. I'll be contacting their corporate offices tomorrow for sure. On the plus side, Hertz is great.
There have been many threads here relating to the decline in true customer service. This is a sad reflection of what it has become. Tomorrow I will go into work and give even better service than I did today, letting my experience be a reminder of how not to be treated and how I will always strive to deliver my best.

Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

My relationship with them diminished greatly (many years ago) when one of their employees ran over my new truck..  Unfortunately, the guy was driving a 24' box truck, and ran over my hood.  Literally. Their insurance people were not nice.

edit - hmmmmm... maybe that was Budget, not Enterprise.  Long time back...

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 1

Details?

basically what I was told on the phone was not what occurred when I arrived. I called them out on it and the manager refused to help. I simply asked to be dropped back off at the body shop where they picked me up and the manager trash talked me to everyone there and the body shop.
I don't ask for much, I simply want what I am promised. Nothing more and nothing less.

I will never do business with Enterprise again.

Several years ago my car was totaled. The other driver was at fault, her insurance picked up a rental for me. It took them two weeks to cut the check for my car, but they only paid for a week's rental. I dealt with it.

When I got to the Enterprise, they refused to give me a car unless I paid for it. I stood in their office and told them no until things were straightened out. Then they refused to let me drive the car without buying their insurance. Even though I carry full coverage. So that was $100. When I tried pointing out flaws on the rental I was told "Oh, we don't worry about those scratches."

Car was fine, turned it in a week later with a full tank of gas. They accused me of leaving it on empty, tried to charge me $100 for it. They pointed out a dozen little scratches and tried to charge me for it.

I raised hell and eventually left without paying a penny and a bad taste in my mouth.

Three months later I get declined while buying fuel. I check my bank account and find out I am overdrawn, because Enterprise decided I needed to pay for my rental, to the tune of $1000. Seems the insurance company never cut them a check, they never called me, nothing, they just charged my card where they had it on record.

That took nearly two weeks to get resolved and god knows how many calls to their customer service. It was only after I threatened legal action that they did anything other than hang up on me.

While I understand that the opposing insurance company bears part of the blame, Enterprise gets all of my wrath and they will never get my business or recommendation. Ever.

basically what I was told on the phone was not what occurred when I arrived. I called them out on it and the manager refused to help. I simply asked to be dropped back off at the body shop where they picked me up and the manager trash talked me to everyone there and the body shop.
I don't ask for much, I simply want what I am promised. Nothing more and nothing less.

Not trying to be nosey or stir anything up. Was curious because we have used Enterprise with varying results over the last few years. Some good, some not so good. But never enough in either direction to be a really memorable event. 

However, I will say that I have not found them to be the most accommodating rental service I've ever used.

Since you mentioned it involved a body shop, would it have been the Hendersonville location?

i rent several car a year with the major car rental companies.  i rent them at least one month ahead and get the best/lower rate.  i go with high end vehicle.  all way, no matter the company, when i show up they tell me that they do not have the car that i rented and they want to give me a lower model for the same price.   i tell them that i rented my car up front, payed the full amount up front, and they had over a month to make sure the car that i payed up front for was there at the agreed time.  then i tell them to get me the car here now or give me the next car up.  the thing is to know what the next model up is so they can not pull a fast one.  rental car companies are on the same level as car salesman. 

I do a lot a business travel for the company, I always have a rental car.  To be honest, I have never had a bad customer experience maybe because my company is a major customer to them.  We use National, Budget, Enterprise, and Avis mostly.  My company has never used Hertz, hmmmm probably because they are too expensive.

Now having said that, I was on personal vacation in October in San Diego.   I rented a car from Budget, drove 9 miles to my hotel, and the very next morning, I had a flat tire waiting on me.  Called the agency, asked they come out and repair it, they said no since I did not buy the roadway hazard, said it would be $250, so I said no, and changed the tire myself with the tiniest doughnut you ever did see.  Budget did tell me to bring the car in and exchange it.  So I did, but while there, the attendant said I need to see the manager, and the manager gave me a piece of paper to fill out, then he said it would be $35 for the tire repair to plug the nail.  I asked why, he said since I did not buy the hazard plan, that I was 100% responsible for the tire.  So I had a choice argue it and still pay the $35, or just pay the $35.  So I paid and went on my way.  In the end, I noticed this Budget was not a corporate owned facility, but rather a franchise owned facility, and I chalked this experience up to the gotcha slick used car tactics.  This was my one and only bad experience in over 250 car rentals in the past 20 years.

Not trying to be nosey or stir anything up. Was curious because we have used Enterprise with varying results over the last few years. Some good, some not so good. But never enough in either direction to be a really memorable event.

However, I will say that I have not found them to be the most accommodating rental service I've ever used.

Since you mentioned it involved a body shop, would it have been the Hendersonville location?

it was their Madison location. The body shop is Trickett, Which I love and have never had a issue with. In fact their guy recommended I try hertz after I came back and explained it to him.

The problem with erac is it is ran by a bunch of fresh college grads. The rules and policies are basically made up on the fly and enforced or not based on the whims of individuals. I worked there for Appx 4 years.

The only thing worse than doing business with erac is working for erac....long hours, low wages, washing cars in a white shirt and tie...conning and lying to people so they buy insurance just so you can keep your job. It requires constant manipulation of the numbers for a manager to keep their job and for trainees to get promoted.

Technically the renter of the car is responsible for all charges, erac just agrees to accept insurance billing as a courtesy. If there is a delay beyond 30 days in payment from the ins co....your ccard is getting hit. If erac gets a hunch the ins co may not cover the entire rental your ccard gets hit. Almost always without notifying the customer.

Never ever leave a debit card on file with them, that is just asking for a world of hurt. They run authorizations on the card in amounts at least double the amount of the rental. That ties up your cash for Appx 12 days.

Go on and complain. Heck call jack and Andy Taylor in St. Louis.....whatever was done to make you mad has been done to countless others...it's the erac business model and has made them billions. You may get a free upgrade card...maybe even a weekend special, but somewhere in the fine print erac will get you...

I do a lot a business travel for the company, I always have a rental car.  To be honest, I have never had a bad customer experience maybe because my company is a major customer to them.  We use National, Budget, Enterprise, and Avis mostly.  My company has never used Hertz, hmmmm probably because they are too expensive.

Now having said that, I was on personal vacation in October in San Diego.   I rented a car from Budget, drove 9 miles to my hotel, and the very next morning, I had a flat tire waiting on me.  Called the agency, asked they come out and repair it, they said no since I did not buy the roadway hazard, said it would be $250, so I said no, and changed the tire myself with the tiniest doughnut you ever did see.  Budget did tell me to bring the car in and exchange it.  So I did, but while there, the attendant said I need to see the manager, and the manager gave me a piece of paper to fill out, then he said it would be $35 for the tire repair to plug the nail.  I asked why, he said since I did not buy the hazard plan, that I was 100% responsible for the tire.  So I had a choice argue it and still pay the $35, or just pay the $35.  So I paid and went on my way.  In the end, I noticed this Budget was not a corporate owned facility, but rather a franchise owned facility, and I chalked this experience up to the gotcha slick used car tactics.  This was my one and only bad experience in over 250 car rentals in the past 20 years.

I used to travel a lot for business.  The company primarily used Hertz and Enterprise.  Hertz was always easy.  Enterprise was ok most of the time but I recall a couple POS cars and really slow service. 

Regarding the flat tire...   Don't tell them anything, just take the tire to a local tire place and get it fixed (assuming its fixable).  Most places will plug a tire for $20 or less. 

We sed Enterprise a few times..until last time they wanted to give us a Equinox that was just returned and reeked of  pot..Apparently the guy got baked in it and didnt bother to air it out..

Maybe they considered that a perk for your renting from them.

Last year,

I rented from Enterprise for a trip to Orlando.  The car I had reserved was not on the lot (after a 30 day reservation), so they upgraded me to a really nice Dodge Charger. 

*After* I had signed for the Charger and *after* the walkdown, the sales rep tried to switch for another economy car which had just pulled up.

I refused to switch. The sales rep got hostile.

I bet you can guess what happened next. It was so ugly that the economy renter hung around to complain to the management on my behalf - The manager got an earful that day, twice. He fixed the problem.  BTW, Chargers are awesome cars on travel.

Budget called me nearly daily for the next two weeks apologizing up the chain.