the tgo receiver build thread

reed1285

So is anyone in Oak Ridge Area building their TGO receiver?  I would like to watch & learn.

Thanks,

Bert

Do you have parts or just wanting to see it done?

Both. 

A neighbor friend and I are trying to learn/build together, each with own TGO set.

There are two sets of stripped lower/uppers, and PSA lower /upper parts kits for each. (he has bbl & gas block also on hand)

He has re-barreled an upper, but not done a lower, I have done neither one.

Between the two of us I think we have all the required tools, and some of the more handy but optional ones too.

Mostly, I was hoping to watch one up close so I could come back and set up ours (I am looking at videos and diagrams, but would like to see one live).

B.

Both. 

A neighbor friend and I are trying to learn/build together, each with own TGO set.

There are two sets of stripped lower/uppers, and PSA lower /upper parts kits for each. (he has bbl & gas block also on hand)

He has re-barreled an upper, but not done a lower, I have done neither one.

Between the two of us I think we have all the required tools, and some of the more handy but optional ones too.

Mostly, I was hoping to watch one up close so I could come back and set up ours (I am looking at videos and diagrams, but would like to see one live).

B.

It is really simple if you take it step-by step, particularly with the CMT lowers. I mostly followed videos but also found a parts list from an ar-15 forum as at first, it wasn't obvious which pin went where with which spring and which way around (the videos often didn't help with the person just picking up the pin and putting it in without showing alignment).

It is really simple if you take it step-by step, particularly with the CMT lowers. I mostly followed videos but also found a parts list from an ar-15 forum as at first, it wasn't obvious which pin went where with which spring and which way around (the videos often didn't help with the person just picking up the pin and putting it in without showing alignment).

Thanks,

If there are any videos that you believe offer better close-ups and angles on detail, please post them.

B.

I think the three main ones were that the buffer retaining pin goes with the thin pin bit pointing up and the pin for the bolt release lever has the thin bit inside the spring and the one for the selector has the flat bit against the spring. These are fairly obvious but I have had "fairly obvious" bite me in the ass badly before so I want to be sure.

I can't remember the videos and can't check here but this is the parts list which was helpful to be sure. I could probably do it almost blindfolded after having done it once though.

lowerKit.gif

That diagram has the pins aligned how they should go with the springs.

Oh, looking at that, a couple more things of varying obviousness: The trigger and hammer pins don't care which side that groove is on (?) and with the magazine catch button, the grooves are supposed to go on the outside (that is one I got wrong as it seemed obvious the spring was supposed to sit in the groove).

Also, there is a high probability you will launch a pin so consider some way to contain them (plastic bag, whatever). I managed without though I did launch the pivot pin once but got lucky finding it.

And one more thing... The Magazine catch button is single threaded so it will be possible to have it either 1/2 thread high or 1/2 thread low if you get it the wrong way up. It might be possible to tell with close inspection of the thread which way up it needs to go or you could just redo it if wrong or just leave it if you don't care.

Actually, the guide itself has this picture and lots of diagrams of the install. It's probably more useful than the videos to be honest.

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

Edited by tnguy

All you'll need for the lower is the wrench for the castle nut, an Allen key for the bolt catch screw and a boxcutter blade or other thin metal for holding the pivot pin in. Probably a punch if you plan to stake the castle nut also. Plus whatever for the grip screw.

For the upper, a wrench for the barrel nut & flash hider/whatever, some roll pin punches (depending what your setup is), possibly some Allen keys, a torque wrench, a hammer, a vice and a block or other thing for holding the upper itself. I have a clamshell one and neither the TGO upper nor the pistol one fitted properly but some judicious remodelling with a sharp chisel got me there. You may also need some pliers for the little circlip on the dust cover pin but I was able to insert it as-is before I put all the barrel stuff together. You'll also need some grease. I went with one that wasn't specifically for the job but supposedly matches the spec and was available cheap. (If you plan to dimple the barrel, it looks like you'll need drills for that also)

Finally got around to ordering the parts for putting my TGO upper together last night. I did end up going with a 16" barrel. I think all but two items of what I ordered were back-ordered so I could be in for a wait. But there doesn't seem to be much way past that if you want to get what you want and not just what's available.

Edited by tnguy

Thanks,

If there are any videos that you believe offer better close-ups and angles on detail, please post them.

B.

I found this one and others from the same guy to be pretty helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1omm6jY7Gg&list=PLFENSfZVVLqRpote2GFiwK5W2EBgU24XP&feature=c4-overview-vl

Also, the ones on Midway's site were good too.

http://www.midwayusa.com/general.mvc/index/videolibrary

• Like 2

The high speed match. For your gun, the SSA-E is IT. Just giving you some crap :)

I just installed my SSA-E for what will be a lightweight Grendel build - not a long range rifle by any means, but something you could carry around like a 5.56 but with way more backside behind it.  I still have to choose the stock and barrel, so we're a ways away from completion.  Dry-firing the SSA-E with a different upper was *very* impressive.  My other rifle has a RRA national match 2-stage, which is a very good trigger, especially when compared to mil-spec offerings.  The SSA-E is on another level entirely.

I just installed my SSA-E for what will be a lightweight Grendel build - not a long range rifle by any means, but something you could carry around like a 5.56 but with way more backside behind it.  I still have to choose the stock and barrel, so we're a ways away from completion.  Dry-firing the SSA-E with a different upper was *very* impressive.  My other rifle has a RRA national match 2-stage, which is a very good trigger, especially when compared to mil-spec offerings.  The SSA-E is on another level entirely.

The geissele won't wear out as fast either, from what I've read. Here ya go. 16" Grendel barrel in stock...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/884877/ar-stoner-barrel-and-bolt-ar-15-65-grendel-medium-m4-contour-1-in-8-twist-16-stainless-steel

I hope they sent you some complimentary Geissele toilet paper. All I can afford is Charmin. :D

I struggled with Daniel Defense. Now I guess I'll get one of those triggers.

Edited by 6.8 AR

well, I just dropped off my receiver at ups to go to Orion Arms for engraving! One step closer. When it gets back I can finally build the lower, so thats good. I have to admit though, I was a bit nervous dropping it off at UPS. I mean if something happens to this receiver it not like I can just order another from CMT. Hopefully it'll be in good hands