Smoked Bacon

Folks, one of my most enjoyable hobbies is the making and smoking of Hams, Bacons and Sausages of all kinds. In the summer of 2012 I carried some Wild Boar Bacon to east TN for a TGO get together and thought a fight was going to break out over the last piece! It was fun!

Those that have been following my posts on the other hunting threads know that I haven't hunted lately due to the cold and now ice. So, I have been manning the "smoke house" making Bacon, Buckboard Bacon and Canadian Bacon.

I would like to share a few pics...

Here's a few slabs...

2573d658-73ae-49aa-9469-096c259d32e3_zps

Canadian Bacon on the left and slab bacon on the right

7e23c225-2628-47f0-8ba4-07a28fe80066_zps

Final cuts

545da081-ad8c-4742-9622-7043b3a31eb1_zps

^                                                 ^                                           ^

Bacon                              Buckboard Bacon                      Canadian Bacon

Cooked for testing...

01ec2508-2013-4fc8-80a6-08136e7c6054_zps

And yes...it is freaking awesome!!!!

Dave

• Like 5

Folks, one of my most enjoyable hobbies is the making and smoking of Hams, Bacons and Sausages of all kinds. In the summer of 2012 I carried some Wild Boar Bacon to east TN for a TGO get together and thought a fight was going to break out over the last piece! It was fun!

Those that have been following my posts on the other hunting threads know that I haven't hunted lately due to the cold and now ice. So, I have been manning the "smoke house" making Bacon, Buckboard Bacon and Canadian Bacon.

I would like to share a few pics...

Here's a few slabs...

Posted Image

Canadian Bacon on the left and slab bacon on the right
Posted Image

Final cuts
Posted Image
^ ^ ^
Bacon Buckboard Bacon Canadian Bacon

Cooked for testing...
Posted Image

And yes...it is freaking awesome!!!!

Dave

That looks incredible!
  • Like 1

What do you use for the cure on the meat?

Morton's Tender Quick, Course Ground Black Pepper, Maple Extract, and Brown Sugar. Spray maple extract on meat, sprinkle fresh ground black peeper,  sprinkle tender quick at the rate of one tablespoon per pound of meat and 2 tablespoons of Brown sugar per pound. Rub all in good and cure for about 6-7 days. If you want more precise instructions let me know.

DaveS

I have a chance to go to Texas in March or April for a hog hunt. 

I have to make some bacon from any hogs I shoot.

Feral pig makes some of the best bacon you'll ever eat! The hams aren't too shabby either!

DaveS

Dave that pile of meat looks incredible. If/when we have another get together you better bring enough!! I'll try one of everything

Edited to add...cooked for "testing" huh? Well in that case, all that meat looks tainted to me, Im going to have to come confiscate it for further "testing"

Edited by reed1285
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks good, heres a few pics of my home made bacon.......made with pork butt

20131010_183103_zps7a1671c0.jpg
20131010_212425_zps191fe2d6.jpg

Looking good Madk0w! I liked your recipe better than mine. The black pepper adds a lot to it!

Dave

Edited by DaveS

I don't expect anyone has ever run into the problem, but how long can that bacon reasonably be kept?

Refrigerated about a week to week and a half just like any bacon. Frozen, for quite some time. It's cured like a ham is and will last a while. They don't last that long around here for me to really find out.

Dave