Permit Renewal by Mail in 15 Days

Well the last HCP renewal by mail was around two weeks for me but this time i'm going to the DMV as painful as that is because the postal service screwed up on me getting my DL the last time, my HCP and DL expire on different years. Actually both the state and post office screwed up. Official forms demand a street address and most don't leave a space for a p.o. box(mailing), I always add that somewhere on the form and envelope and print clear(MAILING ADDRESS) P.O. Box ## but NOOOOOOoooooooo, they had to go and send it to my street address and even though my local PO knows who it goes to they have become jerks and sent it back to the state so within a week before it expired I had to make some calls and finally got it sent to my p.o.box. At least going to the DMV they will take my money order and give me my reciet that day and I don't have to trust the mail to at least get it to them, only to recieve my permit.
That wasn't the only problem I have had because I have a p.o.box, the very next day after I found out what happened to my DL I installed a big ol mail box at the street next to my drive with big street address numbers on it so now I have a street mail box and a p.o. box. Edited by K191145

Wife just called to check again and the lady told her "We are really behind, we are now on the ones submitted on December 2nd. Yours is through the backgound check. As soon as it gets done, we'll mail it out."

Well going on the stories above, that is incorrect or a lie. I wonder if hers got mixed in with new applications and that's why it's taking so long. I told her to call back and ask if that was the case.

Edit* She called back while writing this. She said it was because it had expired and they go through the whole original process. What else is there besides the background check that they do when doing a non-expired renewal? I wish it wasn't taking this long but I'm at least happy she got detailed information from this lady instead of the short call/info she received last time she called.

• 2 weeks later...

I tell ya what, biting my tongue is getting harder every day. My wife doesn't want to call and make more of a stink about this, but it is getting old. A coworker of mine (not a renewal) applied in Feb 7th, fingerprints on Feb 14th, and got his permit in the mail yesterday. If hers went in to the stack with all of the new apps, hers should have dang well been here already! I don't know if they will even talk to me about her permit, but if it's not here this week, I will find out. :rant:

I recently moved, and put in my address change over 3 weeks ago on my drivers license. I got my replacement/duplicate DL after only a few days, but of course the duplicate HCP requires an old-fashioned paper application. When I called DOS to obtain an application for a duplicate permint, acknowledged over the phone that they already had my new address from the DL records. 2 weeks since I submitted the duplicat app,  and I haven't got the duplicate HCP yet.

C'mon, DOS-- a duplicate card on a permit that still has over 2 years validity left on it shouldn't be this difficult to get.

I noticed on the news last night in memphis that a team had been sent from Nashville to investigate why people were having up to a six hour wait at the DMV office in memphis. During my 1-1/2 hour wait, the cause of the delays was easy to understand.

• 2 weeks later...

Received my renewal notice Mar.5, malied it back with my check Mar. 6. Not due til June. The waiting begins. 

Update.....received my letter today that the appl. had been recd. ( 8 days )

Update #2....received my renewed permit in the mail today.16 days. Not too shabby

I guess.

Edited by Grunt67
  • 2 weeks later...

I sent in my renewal form the day after it arrived some time in mid Feb.  I don't remember the exact turnaround but it was very fast.  I got the temp letter in the mail in what seemed like under 2 weeks, and the actual card showed up very shortly thereafter.  Expiration of the old one wasn't until May so everything went really quickly.