Permit Renewal by Mail in 15 Days

I messed around until the last minute on my permit renewal. I would rather get a colonoscopy from a Pakistani intern than go to the Driver's License place, so I took my chances by mail. I mailed my application and money order on 12-02, and got my temporary letter late last week. My new permit showed up in the mail yesterday (12-16), two days before the old one expired.

I know you can't count on it every time, but I sure was tickled.

• Like 2

Yes. They send you an application. It's like any bother government application. If you leave something out, or do it wrong in some other way, they'll reject it, and you lose your 50 bucks. I sent a money order so they didn't have to wait for a check to clear.

Once they process the application, they send you a letter that serves as a temporary permit if your old one has already expired. They do that before the renewal goes through the background check. Finally, your new permit shows up in the mail without ever having to go face-to-face with one of the fine folks at the drivers license place.

I sat on my application for at least a couple of months before I got around to sending it in.

Edited by mikegideon
Guest Bonedaddy

Wonder why it took mine so dang long to get here? Besides the shutdown, that is. Quick question....when just gettin' dups, can ya just submit the forms and cash to DMV and get copies right there? I don't remember, anymore.

Wonder why it took mine so dang long to get here? Besides the shutdown, that is. Quick question....when just gettin' dups, can ya just submit the forms and cash to DMV and get copies right there? I don't remember, anymore.

You probably pissed 'em off :). You know how I feel about the DMV. I know they don't spit the permit right there, and they may make you get in the picture line. Mail is more better.

I renewed by mail and was more than pleased by the turnaround time.

Like others, didn't want to hit the DMV, waited around until the last minutes, finally mailed it.

Assumed 6 - 8 weeks, got similar results - 2 - 3 weeks from date I mailed it out.

Kudos to the professionals working at the Dept of Safety, HCP Division!

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name="tnhawk" post="1085379" timestamp="1388246679"]How long before the expiration date do they mail the renewal application? I'm under six months from expiration now.[/quote] I think posting in this thread tipped them off for me, cause I just got my notification/renewal form in the mail a couple days ago, and mine expires in May.

It looks like the 2-week turnaround on mail renewals is slipping quite a bit.  My permit doesn't expire until June, but I figured I'd get ahead of the curve and submit my renewal application as soon as I could, so I filled it out and mailed it via Priority Mail on December 4th.  The Post Office lost track of it and couldn't confirm delivery, so I called Nashville on December 10th and they confirmed that they had just received the application that day.  I got my original permit in the mail exactly three weeks from the day I was fingerprinted and I am retired military and have an absolutely spotless record.  It's now 40 days and still no new permit.  I did get my extension letter in the mail in mid-December.  Maybe since they know my permit doesn't expire for a while the put it on the bottom of the pile.

• 3 weeks later...

I just mailed off my wife's renewal yesterday, it's already expired though. Hope it comes back quickly so she can carry again! Glad to hear yours went well.

^^^ Still haven't gotten hers back. I didn't expect it in 2 or 3 weeks but I figured it would be back by now. She called a couple of weeks ago and the lady said "Just because your check cleared doesn't mean we're done, it can take the whole 90 days." Probably true, but ticked me off at the way my wife told me the lady said it. Hopefully it will be back soon.

Just got mine today.  I had my confirmation of receipt within 3 days of mailing it in, and my permit in 16 more days.  Satisfied.

DANG! Wonder what the heck is going on with my wifes? It must have landed on the bottom of a big pile! Glad you got yours back quickly though Musicman.

• Like 1