Miserable night

Wow, ya'll really did have a tough day yesterday.  I hope today is better!

And I hope Ernie is continuing to improve!  Our puppies are just like 4 legged children in our house and when one of them is sick it is a crisis.

Keep us posted when you can.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their kind words.

It appears Ernie is doing well.

The last time this happened he was really close to death. He spent several days in the vet in what was pretty much intensive care. The last time we did not catch it as early as this time. We have a few new options to hopefully prevent it from happening again.

• Like 8
That's great to hear that Ernie is better.

Glad all is going well for him and you and SourKraut.

I lost my Husky, Shadow just before Chistmas several years ago and know the pain of losing a friend like that. I'm so very thankful that this wasn't the case.

Merry Christmas to you and all the four-legged family.

Glad to hear that Ernie is doing better.  I hope you spoiled him rotten today!

Our two rescue dogs wound up with more presents from friends and family members than we did.

Hmm.  Maybe folks like them better than they do us???  That's food for thought! LOL!

Glad to hear he's feeling better. Has the vet said what caused the pancreatitis? Just curious, I have 3 pups. My grandmother had a dog die from it and so did a friend. I have heard that meats that contain phosphates can cause it, such as bacon and ham. Sent from my iPhone using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL]

Fatty foods does it ...Some dogs are  predispositioned to it.. like small dogs.. rat terries and schnauzers also.. anytime you feed your dog fatty foods there is a change they can get it.. Now with out boxer its rather unusual.. they are not really prone to it. But he had it a few times now where its considered chronic. and every time he has it.. his pancreas get worse.And its very very painful also. Read up on acute pancreatitis. Its not a nice thing to go thru.. Ernie was in shock last time and almost didn't make it thru the night. Pooping nothing but blood. He was also getting really dehydrated from the runs and puking all the time.

Right now he is doing ok.. vet said that it can come back even tho he does not get any  people food at all. He is on a strict diet. And he will get antacid tabs every day.. The acid in his stomach can also cause inflammation. I am hoping he will not get any more of this. If he does.. the long term prognosis looks rather grim for him. I am not going to let him suffer  to many times with this anymore. Its horrid and I cant stand seeing him in pain when he gets bad.

He was a fine animal, but as most dalmations, he did his share of puppy destruction for a few years.  My wife said if she believed in reincardination, she would want to come back as one of my dogs.  I had to reply that the dog had graduated first place in obedience school.   

Glad to hear he's feeling better.

Has the vet said what caused the pancreatitis? Just curious, I have 3 pups.

My grandmother had a dog die from it and so did a friend. I have heard that meats that contain phosphates can cause it, such as bacon and ham.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pancreatitis is often associated with eating fatty foods such as ham, bacon, steak trimmings, and ground beef.  Some dogs, like schnauzers are more predisposed because they already have high triglyceride levels in their bloodstreams.  I have had people tell me they feed bacon grease to their dog everyday and see no problems.  The other extreme is the dog who gets pancreatitis from just one bite of food.  In between are the dogs who have eaten this kind of food before, but suddenly get pancreatitis.

We tend to see more pancreatitis at this time of year because people like to share their holiday meals.  I always tell people to not feed the above foods (even if the dog has had it before), because pancreatitis can be deadly (and even when it isn't, it is often expensive).  If person must feed human food, try fat-free chicken breast and rice.

• Like 1

Glad to hear Ernie is better. I'm really glad to hear about the causes of his condition because I have a schnauzer.  ( Note to self.  They probably know this stupid, he's your avatar :shake: ) . My dogs rarely get people food but its kibbles and Bits only for him from now on.

I guess we are lucky with our current little furry child. We have a Border Collie/Aussie Shepherd mix. This little bundle of energy will eat nothing but Blue/Wilderness Salmon. Won't eat any other dry or wet foods. Won't eat the usual treats; only Greenies or DentaSticks. And loves vegetables(canned corn, potatoes, and green beans. We wash it to remove the added salt, then give her about a half cup with dry food once a day).

And our vet approved this diet. Molly is a very active 36 lb of muscle. Drove my wife crazy seeing the little dogs ribs all the time. It's taken 4 years to get her from 24 to 36lbs. Dr. Grace says Molly is disgustingly healthy, can't get any income from us.

Anyway, sorry to get offtrack. Glad to see some indications of improvement. Pray for Ernie that it continues.