Miserable night

Sorry to hear this update.  I was really hoping Ernie was doing better.   

Our dogs have always been in the house with us, and have been just about like children, although better behaved than some of the children I know.  And every time we've lost one of ours, there have been so many times over the first few weeks where we would stop and look for them out of habit.  Just expecting them to be on their bed, or asleep in the corner, or following me around, etc.  The pain doesn't ever go completely away, but it does get easier over time.  And then of course before too long we decide we're ready for another 1 or 2.

We'll be thinking about you guys as you work through the grief process.

• Like 1

I wanted to thank you all for the kind  words.. It was hard and still is .We loved that goofy guy and he will be missed  for a long time.Our little  pit Lilly is moping around. I can definetly tell that she is looking or missing him. We had him cremated and he sits right next to the ashes from my American Bulldog Bo I had for a long time. Its getting easier and I take great comfort that he is now home with us and is not in any more pain.

Thank you all again for the kind words:)

Petra

We both loved him like a child. Heck he meant more to us than most of my family that lives close by.

He was a great protector of his momma and was always there to act goofy when we were having a bad day. It seemed like he knew and would make us laugh in his own unique way. He is one dog that I will always miss even though he was a pain in the butt as a puppy. I joked about him being out $4K boxer because of all the medical bills as a puppy. But in reality he was truly priceless and I would gladly give $4K to have him back.

A few days after we had him put down our other dog, Lilly, would want to go outside every few hours which was uncharacteristic for her. She didn't have to go and would make a loop around the house to look for Ernie. She would also go down to the bottom of our property which she has rarely done before but has been doing it almost every time she goes out. The bottom is where Ernie would go and hang out. She has been lethargic for the last week and I believe it is because she is sad. Some people say dogs can't be sad but I honestly believe she is.

• Moderators

A few days after we had him put down our other dog, Lilly, would want to go outside every few hours which was uncharacteristic for her. She didn't have to go and would make a loop around the house to look for Ernie. She would also go down to the bottom of our property which she has rarely done before but has been doing it almost every time she goes out. The bottom is where Ernie would go and hang out. She has been lethargic for the last week and I believe it is because she is sad. Some people say dogs can't be sad but I honestly believe she is.

When we had to put down the older of our pair of pugs, the younger never recovered. Where she had always been a goofy, happy pug before, after she was morose and lethargic and her health went downhill fast. Less than a year later we lost her too. Dogs do get sad, they do miss their partners and I believe they can die of a broken heart. I know ours did.

My condolences for your loss DS, besides being gods little warm creatures they're the best to have as long as we can. Maybe u can find a new friend that would have made Ernie happy,keep Lilly company and make Ernie proud of his time spent w u and the mrs. I have a several of my own,1 original and 2 rescues that are my kids in a weird way. Wouldn't trade em for anything, but I always believe our pets are with us like a good blessing.
Best regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

.... Dogs do get sad, they do miss their partners and I believe they can die of a broken heart. I know ours did.

Absolutely, some dogs can basically grieve themselves to death over loss of their master.

The main reason I'm agnostic instead of atheist is because Canis lupus familiaris exists, and I'm more than half serious.

- OS

We have had a few boxers, and just one now.  They are like family. Our white boxer was one of those $4000.00 dogs.  I know what you are going through and wouldn't wish it on anyone.  I still miss our boxers that have passed daily. 

The only bad thing about a boxer is that they do not live forever. 

I don't mean to be insensitive or over forward, but when the time comes. 

We worked with middle tennessee boxer rescue for our latest boxer.  Great bunch of people doing great things for the breed. 

http://www.mtbr.org/

Sorry to hear about this. The old cliche dogs are a mans best friend is true. They will never lie, cheat or steal from you, and will be by your side no matter what, even if your in the wrong. I have no doubt in my mind that my Amstaff, Wrangler, would die trying to protect me or my family. I will mourn for a long time when I lose that dog. My sincere condolences.

I always joke with my wife when she decides to leave me, all I want is my truck, guns, knives and dog. 

Edited by reed1285

We have had a few boxers, and just one now.  They are like family. Our white boxer was one of those $4000.00 dogs.  I know what you are going through and wouldn't wish it on anyone.  I still miss our boxers that have passed daily. 

The only bad thing about a boxer is that they do not live forever. 

I don't mean to be insensitive or over forward, but when the time comes. 

We worked with middle tennessee boxer rescue for our latest boxer.  Great bunch of people doing great things for the breed. 

http://www.mtbr.org/

As much as we loved Ernie Bird the boxer I will never own another boxer. He was a great dog but for the first two years he was worse than a toddler. But after his two year puppy stage he was a great dog.