What Lever Action Rifle to get and what caliber.

Sonny

with $1,000.00 to work with you can get two.  look for used ones.  i would get a 30-30 and/or 35 rem for hunting.  then look for a 44 mag.  a 357 mag are priced to high at this time.  but you can find a 44 mag for around $450.00 to $550.00.  I pick up a 1975  marlin 1894 in 44 mag last month for $425.00.  i have seen 30-30 for around $375.00 and up.  so look around for a used marlin 336 in 30-30 or 35 rem.  take your time you will find a good used one. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys on many great choices i think i got my sights set on a Marlin 336  in either 30-30 or 35 Rem. And i am sure it want be my last one - also like some of you suggested i may go the used route and maybe get me couple of rifles.

Now the search begins -  i would like to buy locally around Nashville, i think i may have to visit the next gun show around here.

Sonny, it wasn't that long ago, there was a member on here that had a NICE Marlin 30-30 for sale for around $400. Don't know if he ever sold it or what part of the state he was in. But, I know if I had the funds at the time it was for sale I would have bought it.

• Like 1

I've always liked the idea of a pistol caliber lever gun. .357 or .44 mag would be sweet if matched with a wheel gun. They won't be as common as a 30-30 but if it was me that's what I would hunt for.

We shoot Cowboy twice a month.  One grandson & I shoot Ruger Vaqueros and a Marlin Cowboy, all in .45lc.  One granddaughter & another grandson shoot Rugers in .38 or .32 and a Marlin in .357.  Either of the Marlins will easily harvest a deer or a hog with hunting, not match loads.

Cherokee SLim

I have an older rossi PUMA, 20" .44 mag I like real well.   265 gr. sp for hunting and 250 gr swc over unique for everyday use.  It's accurate enough for the places I hunt, don't take up much space on the 4 wheeler or in the truck, carries like a willow switch and gets better looking with age. I have an old model 99 eg (45xxxx s/n) I like better, but I just can't bring myself to drill and tap it, so it's no more accurate or powerful at <100 yds than the rossi. So it don't get out much.

I've owned a Marlin 30-30 and it was a great gun...I currently own a Henry (22LR). Frankly; I don't think you could go wrong with either manufacturer.  As to caliber that's really dependent on what you want/intend to do with it I would say...if this is for hunting then you likely need something with at bit of punch.  As was mentioned before, a handgun caliber (that you already own) can be a big plus! :)

Browning makes some interesting lever-action rifles that would fit within your price range. I've never owned one but I've always had good service out of every Browning I've ever owned and I would say are at least worth taking a look at.

I've hunted deer with a Marlin 30A 30-30 for 25+ years, and I still love the gun. 

If I were to buy another lever I'd waffle between a .357 (to match my one revolver) or a .44 magnum. The .357 doesn't really fill any sort of hole in my gun collection, just the factor of having long and short guns that shoot the same bullets. My first "real" deer gun was my dad's Ruger .44 Carbine semi-auto. I'll fight my brother for that one some day. It doesn't have the range of the 30-30, but blows through brush and hits hard at short ranges. I've never hunted hogs, but I imagine a .44 would be an excellent cartridge choice in a carbine.

If I got a lever .44 I would eventually cut it down to 16" and thread the end for an Osprey .45ACP silencer. 

My father-in-law really likes his Remington Model 7 in .35 Rem. It has the range of the 30-30 with extra diameter and energy, still with moderate recoil. It combines the best aspects from the .44 Mag and the 30-30.

But ultimately, if I were to be allowed to own only one levergun meeting your criteria it would be a Marlin 30-30.

Edited by JWKilgore