Polar Vortex, Jan. 6th, 2014

runco

My house had these frost proof auto draining wall hydrants. I still cover them with the Styrofoam covers. No worries.

FHB.jpg

This is what I have.  Yet, my inherent anal-retentiveness OC will persuade me to cover them up tomorrow.....After  it stops raining.  I hate cold-wet. 

The roads in and around our subdivision are iced over. I took a ride, and I don't see them getting any better by time I have to leave for work at 4:30-5:00 am.

I have about a half-mile of 20%+ grade, with a 90 degree about 2/3 down.  Fortunately, I don't seem to work anymore, so no need to get out

edit - and great.  just had a nice little power flicker.  already.  Hope that's not a harbinger, but in this hood......usually is.

Edited by R_Bert

still 47.5 in Oak Ridge, but the wind has just really picked up.

I hear the City workers on the scanner getting the plows ready.

Funny, I would rather drive one of those then go to work tomorrow if I had that kind of option.

Edited by vontar

i have one of the frost proof spigots,  not too worried about something that connects about two feet underground.  I have a spigot on the back of the house that comes out of the wall. never covered it before.

And this is probably a dumb question but what good does covering a spigot do anyway?  I can't see insulation keeping it warm unless it is conducting heat somehow. 

Never in my life covered one and never had anything bad happen.  Whatever you cover it in will soon become the same temperature as the great outdoors anyway.  

was about 59 a few hours ago, now it is about 51

Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 1

Windy still, bout 25*F now.

Wind chill only works on flesh, be yours or animals.

Now the wind will pull the heat away from other stuff, wood, steel, concert,

but will only drop the temp of the object to air temp, no colder.

It is now officially cold! I just ran out to my shop for some gun lube and wasn't sure id make it back. My concrete aka ice rink about claimed me as a victim as I jogged out since wind is blowing 20-30mph and the temp is 23 with a wind chill of 11.
Guest TankerHC

Weird weather here. I have one of those wireless IR thermometers. An hour ago it was 48. In 5 minutes it dropped to 32, wind was 6MPH, felt like 26. Then 10 minutes later it was 42, 20 minutes later it was 21, then it went to 38, within a minute dropped down to 36, and in the last 5 minutes dropped to 29.

I would say that my thermometer was screwed up except it is showing near identically the same thing on Weatherbug. 

Edit: Weatherbug says 29 and feels like 18, thermometer shows 28. Went outside and it doesnt feel much colder than a cool spring night. 

Edited by TankerHC
Guest TankerHC

Anyone seeing any snow in the Chattanooga area. According to some family members Pikeville is white. Also snowing like crazy on Dayton Mountain and snowing in Decatur. No snow here, and I live at the base of Dayton Mountain. 

Guest TankerHC

The weather channel and weatherbug have to be measuring on Dayton Mountain. Saying it is 26 degrees (Dropped 4 degrees in 30 seconds) and feels like 14. Standing outside it feels like 50. And it is raining, at 26 degrees it should be sleeting or snowing. But it isnt. 

Edited by TankerHC
Guest TankerHC

Well that "Winter blast" didn't amount to much (So far). never got below 24, (We have had colder mornings here in the last two weeks), snow nothing but a light dusting, very little wind. Other than tonight when they call for it to be in the teens, Wednesday in the 40's and 60 by Sunday and zero further precipitation, I classify this as a "non event".