Police running your DL...

That is kept on the form. The form would be the only thing tying you to the purchase and that stays with the FFL. NCIC is required to destroy your info within a business day unless you're turned down. I guess they could, but you'd have to explain to me who "they" are and how "they" are able to keep such great OPSEC on it. Simply assuming that there is a great database out there of every gun purchase simply because we don't trust our government doesn't qualify as proof.

Well, I am sure that the world was not aware of the big data base that was storing all the phone conservations of people all over the world either until Snowden snitched it out and the data base for keeping all gun purchases would not require half as much space as the NSA was using to store the phone calls but they were able to do it. As far as trusting our Government???? Well that is another issue which I won't discuss at present.

• Like 1

Well, I am sure that the world was not aware of the big data base that was storing all the phone conservations of people all over the world either until Snowden snitched it out and the data base for keeping all gun purchases would not require half as much space as the NSA was using to store the phone calls but they were able to do it. As far as trusting our Government???? Well that is another issue which I won't discuss at present.

And that is called proof. I'm not going to believe something exists if the proof of its existence is our not knowing it exists. That makes no sense,

And that is called proof. I'm not going to believe something exists if the proof of its existence is our not knowing it exists. That makes no sense,

Careful there friend, you know how this crowd gets when you try using that logic stuff. Ruins perfectly good conversations.

Besides, its pretty clear your just pro big gov. :rolleyes:
  • Like 1
[quote name="bersaguy" post="1098259" timestamp="1390247894"]Also it is smart to check reciprocity in that state to see if they honor TN HCP's......................jmho[/quote] This is what I do. I drive a truck and go back and forth to Michigan each week. I am good in KY, OH and MI.

Why would there be information on TN HCP holders in the NCIC system in the form of a database? They're not even allowed to keep firearm purchases on record for more than a business day unless the transfer was denied.

You don't really believe that all firearm purchase records aren't stored forever, do you?  What's going to stop them - the law?  The world ain't perfect.

You don't really believe that all firearm purchase records aren't stored forever, do you?  What's going to stop them - the law?  The world ain't perfect.

What's to stop them from developing an army of genetically altered lizard people? Point is, I concern myself with things that exist, not things that may exist, otherwise I'd still be checking the closet for the boogeyman each night.
  • Like 1

Yeah, nobody believes that NSA crap either.

There's actual proof there. Also, constitutional or not, a judge granted them permission to gather that data, not some underground shadow organization.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible that some judge has granted access to firearms purchases in the name of GWOT, I'm just saying no proof exists of it. To argue that it is true that they have been keeping a database of all gun purchases for the last two decades is like arguing the government is tracking you with stealth choppers and the proof of it is that you can't hear them.
Guest Gustafa

I do know for a fact, your HCP is pulled on nearly every stop just based on the same numbers. Most officers will also strike up a convo about it and sometimes, even let you go! 

I don't think they are tied directly to you tag but I'm sure they can make a match on your name and address.

It's not on the tag. Me and Dad got stopped in the parking lot of TSC for seat belt and I just sat in the truck. I assume the trooper ran the tags which are in my name and never said a thing about a carry permit.

A traffic stop in Arkansas will show them your TN handgun carry permit on the computer screen in the police car.  Don't know where else, but I saw a red bar at the bottom of the screen saying "TN handgun carry permit" along with the picture that shows on my TN driver's license photo and vital stats and restrictions.  The trooper figured the only dope in the car was me and sent me on the way, saying 'fasten your seat belt and be safe".

sure is a lot of tinfoil on this thread.

Obviously it’s tied to the tag; it has the same number. Members here that are cops have said they get that information. Just because the dispatcher doesn’t always give it unless asked doesn’t mean it’s not there. There might be department policies on it or simply Dispatcher discretion. If I ran a plate for owner information; that’s what the dispatcher gave me. If I ran it for Owner/DL info they gave me that.

This comes up all the time. I think it’s clearly been answered that they can get your HCP information. In Tennessee it shouldn’t be an issue to the Officer unless you appear to be impaired/intoxicated, he is going to search you or your vehicle, or he is going to take you into custody.

It is information for an out of state Officer to use however he can justify. It is not PC to search you or your vehicle for weapons, but nothing keeps him from asking if you have weapons in the vehicle, (Its done all the time with people that don’t show up with a carry permit) and that could be PC depending on the circumstances.

Thats how it works no matter what state you get pulled over in. I dont know if Fl has them linked but Tn does. There is no link or even a database in Ga but when they run a Tn DL it comes back with permit info.

I'm the FNG here learning about TN laws and rules, so I would not offer an opinion on the best way to procceed in TN.

I can say for certain that PA does NOT have its carry permit ( we call it a License to Carry Firearms) linked to driver license numbers.

County sheriffs issue the LTCF and it is not linked to the PennDOT driver license database.

Also, ( around here) when educated carriers are pulled over, they do not volunteer the information about being armed, unless it becomes obvious that Offier Friendly is going to discover that fact on his own. 

The 4th and 5th amendments are great ones to support, as well as the 2nd.

Edited by markshere2

I'm the FNG here learning about TN laws and rules, so I would not offer an opinion on the best way to procceed in TN.

I can say for certain that PA does NOT have its carry permit ( we call it a License to Carry Firearms) linked to driver license numbers.
County sheriffs issue the LTCF and it is not linked to the PennDOT driver license database.

Also, ( around here) when educated carriers are pulled over, they do not volunteer the information about being armed, unless it becomes obvious that Offier Friendly is going to discover that fact on his own. 

The 4th and 5th amendments are great ones to support, as well as the 2nd.

Well… I thought I was an educated carrier; apparently not. I’m educated about cops and have done thousands of traffic stops. Tennessee doesn’t require me to notify; it’s up to me. I choose to notify based on my experience, others must make their decisions based on their experience. Please share with us your experiences that make you say those of us that choose to notify are uneducated carriers. confused.gif

Unless you are being searched the 4th amendment has nothing to do with this. Unless you are being questioned the 5th has nothing to do with it. If you have an HCP and being asked if you are armed or have any guns in the vehicle; you are required to answer that.
[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1103490" timestamp="1391066087"]Do you? I only know you're required to show HCP on request. - OS[/quote] Considering that carrying a loaded handgun in TN is a crime and having a HCP is only a defense to that crime, I would think that answering that question "yes" would be incriminating oneself. So I guess you could plead the 5th? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you? I only know you're required to show HCP on request.

- OS

I believe you are; but I would have to go back and read the statute. I wouldn’t want to put my HCP at risk by testing that. I'm notifying anyway, but I'm certainly not implying its required by law.
Guest TheButterSponge

A LEO is telling me on my page that when he runs a license, they don't provide that info. It started because of that guy in MD who got pulled over and searched when the cops found out that he has a CCW.

My argument is maybe it doesn't happen in his state, but in TN(and others) it does.

I always inform the police if I interact with them. I am not guilty of anything and don't have a need to be sneaky.

Not informing is sneaky? I am well within the TN law if I don't inform. How is that sneaky? 

Not informing is sneaky? I am well within the TN law if I don't inform. How is that sneaky?

Maybe sneaky was not the appropriate word. When I carry, I inform any police officer that interacts with me. I let them know what I am carrying, where it is, and in what condition it is in (chambered, loaded, etc). I don't do it to be submissive or scared, I do it out of respect and courtesy.

Most LEO's are good guys, and I appreciate them.

I just think we should be up front about it. If I was a cop, I would hope "good guys" would let me know.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest JeremyD901
I live in Memphis, and after what happened to me the one time I was pulled over I'm not sure if volunteer any information about my guns or hcp. I was speeding one day then pulled over. I handed the officer at the driver side my license and gun permit and put my hands on the steering wheel. He asked if I had a gun I said yes. A split second later my passenger door flung open I was afraid the force of it damaged my door. The cop then very roughly and blinding shuffled in my center console. Where there was a loaded glock 23. The ask me to step out and ask if there was anything else. I informed them of the AR15 in the back of my SUV they claimed at that point I was going to jail I wasn't aloud to have an AR-15. While the cop was on the phone with his top brass I noticed my glock and mag on the hood but not the extra round that was chambered. The cop then grabs the mag and the glock in one hand hand is holding the glock with one finger inside the trigger guard. I asked him to clear it he then told me not to tell him how to do his job and so on. Finally when he cleared it...all the way. He got pissy with me informing me I should of told him about the chambered round. After that day I think if I was to get pulled over again I would just hand my license. I won't volunteer any info and if they ask I will tell them the truth.