Good starting rifle?

Of the cheap prebuilt ARs, I really love my S&W M&P.  Enough so that I now have 3 of them. 

That said, ALL ARs can be customized and modified as you see fit, everything interchanges with everything else across the industry, that is one of the selling points.   I do not know anything about the one you picked, it could be just as good as the S&W, I just know that mine is very well made.

Fine rifle, crappy seller. Send some bucks to just about anyone in the industry over CTD IMO.

+1!

My recommendation is getting on the Palmetto State Armory mailing list and watch for their best daily deal.  You can get complete kits for an awesome deal on quality parts.  Downside is a they are a bit slow BUT that's probly how they keep prices down. 

• Like 2

Are you looking to buy a complete rifle? A better option IMO would be to buy a complete lower and then a complete upper. You can possibly get a bit better quality without spending as much money this way. An example would be buy a complete lower with stock from PSA - can be found under $200 often. And then shop PSA or other places for a complete upper you like in the $400-$600 range. When the two arrive, you just push two pins through to connect the halves.

If you want to have a complete rifle with full manufacturer warranty, then by all means get a complete rifle such as a S&W M&P Sport, DPMS, etc. 

The sporticals are decent rifles. They do not have a forward assist or dust cover which, although probably not necessary, most people prefer. If you go that route, I recommend the Smith and Wesson version which can be had for about the same price. http://grabagun.com/catalog/product/view/id/11888/s/s-w-m-p15-spt-556nato-16-30rd-fld . The S&W's have gotten good reviews. 

Personally, I think you would be happier in the long run with a rifle that comes with dust cover and forward assist. PalmettoStateArmory has a great reputation. You may need to buy the upper and lower separate from them but both can be had for about the same price as the Sportical. 

Lower $149: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/14434/s/psa-ar-15-complete-blem-lower-classic-edition-no-magazine/

You can get their lowers with BCG for $300-400 if you check the site for a couple weeks. They are sold out of the most popular models at present. 

If you are willing to put the lower together yourself, you can get a package for $500. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/2284/s/16-hammer-forged-mid-length-rifle-kit-1/

• Like 1

Hey FHG!

I'm 10 minutes up the road from ya.. ping me and we'll discuss some options.  I'd like to hear what all you're planning to do with it ultimately in regards to add-ons... 

These rifles are not bad for entry level but it's going to be next to impossible to recoupe anything from selling any parts you take off (no one really wants them in the market). So, as others stated, you may be better building you one from the ground up depending on the level of customization you're looking for. 

But, as an example, I can/could get you that exact rifle if you still want it INCLUDING TN tax, shipping and the TBI reg fee cheaper than CTD ....assuming they're going to charge ya $15-$20 shipping and then a dealer here will charge $25-$30 to transfer it in. 

There's others I'd personally recommend but want to speak with you first to be sure I know where you'd like to be...

Thanks, be more than happy to talk with you if you had a moment and/or if you do find something handle the transfer into TN.

• Like 7

Hey FHG!

I'm 10 minutes up the road from ya.. ping me and we'll discuss some options.  I'd like to hear what all you're planning to do with it ultimately in regards to add-ons... 

These rifles are not bad for entry level but it's going to be next to impossible to recoupe anything from selling any parts you take off (no one really wants them in the market). So, as others stated, you may be better building you one from the ground up depending on the level of customization you're looking for. 

But, as an example, I can/could get you that exact rifle if you still want it INCLUDING TN tax, shipping and the TBI reg fee cheaper than CTD ....assuming they're going to charge ya $15-$20 shipping and then a dealer here will charge $25-$30 to transfer it in. 

There's others I'd personally recommend but want to speak with you first to be sure I know where you'd like to be...

Thanks, be more than happy to talk with you if you had a moment and/or if you do find something handle the transfer into TN.

OP is not likely to get a better offer when you consider proximity. If go this route for sure if I didn't want to PSA build one. Maybe even then...
  • Like 1

PSA, yeah I'm an old South Carolina boy, but even that they DO build a nice rifle .... my buddies down there buy em all the time.  I've also had many of these rifles come through the shop for transfers... they are built very well and they do offer some crazy prices and sales from time to time if you can catch them... they are bit slow on fulfillment but what shop their size isn't ...  

If you're looking for a great deal, I've also transfered 4 or 5 of their so called "blemished" receivers and I tell you they're as nice as many I've seen selling out right... seriously several I couldn't even find what they were refering too... others it was a minute scratch or finish blemish you're going have when you assemble the thing anyways... 

• Like 1