Bought my first Glock today!

rugerla1

IMAG0420_zps2c65d0ee.jpgYep, in love already. Years and years ago, I picked up a few Glocks, thought they were black 2x4's and never got interested. I respected the name just because of reviews, just didn't like the feel. Recently checked out my friends Gen 4 Glock 23 and really liked it. I started looking at new ones, then used ones, and comparing my options. I ran across a good deal today on a used one and bought it from a guy who is not on here, but I invited him. I think he will fit in great and love the community as we all do.

So anyway, the one thing I wasn't sure about was the fact that he'd polished the slide and barrel. I was afraid it would look chrome-ish. But it actually looks pretty good. Still debating on whether it will stay that way or get cerakoted, refinished through Glock, or something else. It's kinda slick, but looks good. I also got 3 mags, two holsters, and 100 rounds of ammo.

Bad news....My wife likes it more than I hoped she would so I may not even get to give a range report :lol:

• Like 5

Congrats , I have 5 and don't even like them ! :)

Maybe I should have called you and bought one of yours and you wouldn't have to "not like" so many of them HA HA

I have a feeling if I want to shoot it, I'm gonna have to buy her one soon!

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 2

You said it was a Gen4 23? as long as you don't change the mag release to the other side, you can run safely gen3 mags.. 

Yes it is. I'm glad you brought that up! It is my first Glock so I was wanting to know the scoop on mag Gen to Gen, if they mixed, or were Gen specific.

Edited by rugerla1
I've been studying the Glock line a lot lately after some unfortunate malfunctions this summer at the range ('twas a rainy day). I've set my sights on the 23 as well, to keep everything in .40 cal for our handguns. I'd like to get two 23's (gen 4 preferably) so that I can put them in our BOB's and not have to worry about functionality in adverse conditions. Congrats on the new addition! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I've been studying the Glock line a lot lately after some unfortunate malfunctions this summer at the range ('twas a rainy day). I've set my sights on the 23 as well, to keep everything in .40 cal for our handguns. I'd like to get two 23's (gen 4 preferably) so that I can put them in our BOB's and not have to worry about functionality in adverse conditions. Congrats on the new addition! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, Lord knows they are dependable. I already have a .40 pistol so at least I didn't add another caliber to the list of things to pick up at the gun shop when buying ammo. Hope you get yours added as well Tedro.

Congrats,

Mags, all will work across gens.

Gen 4s will only work for a left hand mag release.

Gen 4s have a mag catch notch on both sides.

We have

2) G23s 1) gen 3 and 1) gen 4

4) G22s, 1) gen 2 and 3) gen 3s one of the gen 3s is a RTF.

1) G35, gen 3

All of us in my family have big hands, so the G 27 is not an option.

You have some catching up to do.

Never thought I would own a Glock.  I'm a "revolver guy".  Disliked all semi-autos since I had jamming problems with Colt, Springfield, Sig, two 1911's...just a "revolver guy" because they are dependable and I don't like worrying about whether the gun will fire when I need it.  But for some odd reason I got to thinking I wanted a Glock (crazy, I know) and so I started doing my research.  I had shot a few Glocks in the past, all of the .40's including the 35, but I really was intrigued by the 9mm ballistics because they appeared to be better than the .38 +P I was carrying around in my little 5-round revolver.  Well, after some research, I purchased a Glock 19, Generation 4.  Still skeptical, I went to TAC in Knoxville and put 220 rounds downrange without any issues other than a blister on the top of my thumb.  The gun was flawless in every way.  My problem may have been that I installed the biggest backstrap and beavertail on the gun and it caused me to rotate my hand around to reach the trigger, and the recoil slammed the beavertail down into the bone/knuckle on top of my thumb.  So, now I have removed the backstrap and I'm going to bare Gen 4 (which may be smaller than even the Gen 3?).  Anyway, the gun works.  The person at PDO in Knoxville where I purchased it said it would be pretty much jam free because it was a Glock.  So, I now have a leather holster (DeSantis) and I'm planning on carrying the Glock 19.  Not much bigger than the revolvers and it holds 15 rounds...and the Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P has about 410 ft-kb of energy.  I'm thinking I may like this setup.  I'm not 100% ready to say I'm now a Glock person, but maybe I can be a "revolver + Glock" person.

Best Wishes, B

Edited by Bassoneer
  • Like 3

Congrats,

Mags, all will work across gens.

Gen 4s will only work for a left hand mag release.

Gen 4s have a mag catch notch on both sides.

We have

2) G23s 1) gen 3 and 1) gen 4

4) G22s, 1) gen 2 and 3) gen 3s one of the gen 3s is a RTF.

1) G35, gen 3

All of us in my family have big hands, so the G 27 is not an option.

You have some catching up to do.

Did you mean Gen 4s only work for right hand release?

Never thought I would own a Glock.  I'm a "revolver guy".  Disliked all semi-autos since I had jamming problems with Colt, Springfield, Sig, two 1911's...just a "revolver guy" because they are dependable and I don't like worrying about whether the gun will fire when I need it.  But for some odd reason I got to thinking I wanted a Glock (crazy, I know) and so I started doing my research.  I had shot a few Glocks in the past, all of the .40's including the 35, but I really was intrigued by the 9mm ballistics because they appeared to be better than the .38 +P I was carrying around in my little 5-round revolver.  Well, after some research, I purchased a Glock 19, Generation 4.  Still skeptical, I went to TAC in Knoxville and put 220 rounds downrange without any issues other than a blister on the top of my thumb.  The gun was flawless in every way.  My problem may have been that I installed the biggest backstrap and beavertail on the gun and it caused me to rotate my hand around to reach the trigger, and the recoil slammed the beavertail down into the bone/knuckle on top of my thumb.  So, now I have removed the backstrap and I'm going to bare Gen 4 (which may be smaller than even the Gen 3?).  Anyway, the gun works.  The person at PDO in Knoxville where I purchased it said it would be pretty much jam free because it was a Glock.  So, I now have a leather holster (DeSantis) and I'm planning on carrying the Glock 19.  Not much bigger than the revolvers and it holds 15 rounds...and the Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P has about 410 ft-kb of energy.  I'm thinking I may like this setup.  I'm not 100% ready to say I'm now a Glock person, but maybe I can be a "revolver + Glock" person.

Best Wishes, B

Glocks and revolvers are not mutually exclusive. You can have and like both.

I started shooting with revolvers, and still have quite a few. In fact, they may outnumber my semiauto guns.

But for a number of reasons, some of which you mentioned; I prefer autos for carry probably 95% of the time. As far as range use, they are about 50-50 for me. Nothing else like a wheel gun at the range. You get to watch the  younger guys laugh at the wheelies when they come out.

And before it's over at least one will come over wanting to try it out and become interested. I think they find just how easy it is to shoot and control a revolver, then sometimes buy one for themselves.

No, if you keep the mag release stock on the left side, you can run all Gen Mags thru it, if you change it over, only Gen 4 mags will work.. 

Okay, that's what I was thinking, I thought he meant for left handers (release on right side). Making sure I didn't have it backwards. Thanks Jose.

Okay, that's what I was thinking, I thought he meant for left handers (release on right side). Making sure I didn't have it backwards. Thanks Jose.

Trust me I was told that GEN3 mags won't work in my Gen4 19, till I popped in some Gen 3 17 and gen 3 22 mags in it.. BTW, 40 mags will work in the 9mm, the feed lips are just a tid bit wide, but do still work in them.. 

Trust me I was told that GEN3 mags won't work in my Gen4 19, till I popped in some Gen 3 17 and gen 3 22 mags in it.. BTW, 40 mags will work in the 9mm, the feed lips are just a tid bit wide, but do still work in them.. 

Good to know. I'd also like to get a 9mm barrel and mag. I didn't know you could swap them in like on my M&P. Guess Glocks had that available before the M&P was even introduced, but never owning one I had no idea. Only problem with that is, my wife may not let me shoot any of her 9mm ammo.....even though I bought all of it for her  :rofl:

Glocks are ugly and have no soul or character whatsoever.

….I carry one everyday because a more reliable handgun cannot be bought.

Lol You got me for a minute. I was thinking "I could swear I've heard him talking about Glock dependability" haha
Guest SavageOne

As someone has said, "1911s are what you show your friends, Glocks are what you show your enemies." I went from revolvers to 1911s and Hi Powers. I never though I'd ever own a Glock, After carrying a 21 and later a 22 as a duty gun, somehow a half dozen more have moved into my safe. I still own 1911s/Hi Powers/CZs/Sigs, but if I had to make do with one pistol to fight with and carry the rest of my life, it'd be a Glock 19. Parts are everywhere, and anyone with a room temperature IQ can change them all in a few minutes using only a nail for a tool. Reliable, durable, and simple. Hate the damn things! Can't wait to get this 36 off my belt. 

As someone has said, "1911s are what you show your friends, Glocks are what you show your enemies." I went from revolvers to 1911s and Hi Powers. I never though I'd ever own a Glock, After carrying a 21 and later a 22 as a duty gun, somehow a half dozen more have moved into my safe. I still own 1911s/Hi Powers/CZs/Sigs, but if I had to make do with one pistol to fight with and carry the rest of my life, it'd be a Glock 19. Parts are everywhere, and anyone with a room temperature IQ can change them all in a few minutes using only a nail for a tool. Reliable, durable, and simple. Hate the damn things! Can't wait to get this 36 off my belt. 

I'm certain the next pistol I buy will be a Glock 19.