ACTION ALERT- Guns In Parks Bill Up For A Vote!!!

Passing along some information. 

Tennessee Firearms Association ACTION ALERT!

Dear 2nd Amendment Supporter,

This week a very important vote is coming up on a bill that the TN Firearms Association is monitoring. This bill, sponsored by Senator Stacey Campfield and Representative Tilman Goins, would extend the 2nd Amendment to all city and county parks in Tennessee. 

Currently, liberal gun-grabbing mayors (such as Karl Dean of Nashville) and do-gooder councils are allowed to ban firearms in their local parks even though those parks are paid for by taxpayers. This is a clear violation of the 2nd Amendment!

On Tuesday, Jan 28th, the bill to stop anti-gun officials from banning guns in parks will appear before the Senate Judiciary Committee. Many members of this committee have a history of voting against gun rights, even the Republicans. There is a chance this will pass the vote but only if you join me in putting pressure on the members of this Committee! 

It is CRITICAL that you call AND e-mail the following Senators and let them know you expect them to vote YES on the Guns-in-Parks bill (SB1496):

Senator Brian Kelsey 
(Republican with a history of flip-flopping on the 2nd Amendment - needs extra pressure)
Phone (615) 741-3036
sen.brian.kelsey@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Doug Overbey 
(Republican with a history of flip-flopping on the 2nd Amendment - needs extra pressure)
Phone: (615) 741-0981
sen.doug.overbey@capitol.tn.gov

Senator John Stevens
Phone (615) 741-4576
Fax (615) 253-0161
sen.john.stevens@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Mike Bell (Republican)
Phone (615) 741-1946
sen.mike.bell@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Mark Green (Republican)
Phone: (615) 741-2374
Fax: (615) 253-0193
sen.mark.green@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Tod Gardenhire (Republican)
Phone (615) 741-6682
Fax (615) 253-0209
sen.todd.gardenhire@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Lowe Finney (Democrat)
Phone (615) 741-1810
Fax (615) 253-0179
sen.lowe.finney@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Ophelia Ford (Democrat)
Phone (615) 741-1767
Fax (615) 253-0357
sen.ophelia.ford@capitol.tn.gov

Here is the list of e-mail addresses of the committee members so that you can copy and paste them into an e-mail: sen.ophelia.ford@capitol.tn.gov, sen.lowe.finney@capitol.tn.gov, sen.todd.gardenhire@capitol.tn.gov, sen.mark.green@capitol.tn.gov, sen.mike.bell@capitol.tn.gov, sen.john.stevens@capitol.tn.gov, sen.doug.overbey@capitol.tn.gov, sen.brian.kelsey@capitol.tn.gov 

Again it is only with your help, standing side by side with other 2nd Amendment supporters, that we can put enough pressure on these politicians to ensure they recognize the 2nd Amendment everywhere in Tennessee. 

So don't delay, make your phone call, and then follow up with an e-mail to the Senators on the Judiciary Committee listed above and tell them to VOTE YES on the Guns-In-Parks bill (SB1496)!!!

Sincerely, 

John Harris
Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association

I wish the TFA would do like the GOA and include a sample email in their alerts. I'm not very good at composing this stuff and if I could just fill in my name and address and send, I would send more. The NRA does that too. Makes it easy to participate.

And they don't read them anyway. It's a numbers thing, for or against.

Edited by Westwindmike
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
[quote name="Westwindmike" post="1102031" timestamp="1390848564"]I wish the TFA would do like the GOA and include a sample email in their alerts. I'm not very good at composing this stuff and if I could just fill in my name and address and send, I would send more. The NRA does that too. Makes it easy to participate. And they don't read them anyway. It's a numbers thing, for or against.[/quote] On the state level, I think a lot of them do. I emailed one of the above listed that is mentioned as being a flip flipper and told him I thought that was disposable. Needless to say within a bit of time he emailed be back (or one of his aides) saying that he was sorry I felt he was disposable and that the NRA gives him an A rating. I have also gotten quite a few good responses from Mike Bell, my state senator. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you write to the lawmakers, you can point out that Georgia has had preemption over local governments for several years now, and there have been no rivers of blood.  When I write Georgia lawmakers about campus carry or church carry, I tend to point out that Alabama allows that without any problems (with the unwritten implication that surely we do as good as Alabama).  

A small amount of state pride "anything you can do, I can do better" might influence some lawmakers when logic and reasoning does not prevail.  At the very least, it provides a real world example from a state with roughly similar culture and gun laws.  

Guest Cogent Design

Thanks for bring this up!

Here's what I wrote if it helps anybody:

Dear Senator,

I want to take a moment to make you aware that I want you to vote YES to the Gun-in-Parks bill, SB1496

As a new father, I take the safety of my wife and 5 month old son very seriously, and would much appreciate the freedom to legally carry a firearm in a park as we play. As a responsible citizen, I and others like me take every precaution to keep my firearm concealed  and secure in a quality holster at all times

Thank you for considering the best interest of my family and others like it.

Chris

Here's what I sent:

SB1496 is coming up for a vote today before the Senate Judiciary Committee of which you're a member. As a law abiding, voting resident of the great State of Tennessee I'd like you to consider the folowing;

Do you believe the Tennessee Legislature has the authority to grant any local governmental entity the power to ban any right articulated in the Federal and/or State Constitutions? Can you tell Dunlap it's okay to control free speech? Do you have the power to allow Covington to ban religious gatherings? Are you allowed to authorize Fentress County to convict without a trial?

As ridiculous as those things sound, there is no difference between those things and allowing a guns in parks ban by local governments. Our Tennessee Constitution says "That the citizens of this state have a right to keep and to bear arms for their common defense; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime." It does not say you can delegate that authority to other parties. Of course, you also continue to overlook the part that says "with a view to prevent crime". You should be required to prove that the legislation actually addresses a crime instead of creating a crime where none existed.

Thank you for your time,

my name

city and state

I received an automated response from chairman Kelsey saying

Thank you for your email. I appreciate your interest in the issues facing the Tennessee Senate.

Because of the extremely high volume of emails I receive, I am unfortunately unable to respond to emails from persons who do not live in Tennessee Senate District 31. District 31 includes Cordova, East Memphis, and Germantown.

I'm going to give myself a pat on the back whether I deserve it or not. :unsure:

If you watch the video from the proceedings, take note at 1:29:06. Senator Campfield talks about where the State Constitution doesn't give them the authority to delegate that to municipalities as I mentioned in paragraph 2 of my email ("Do you believe the Tennessee Legislature has the authority to grant any local governmental entity the power to ban any right articulated in the Federal and/or State Constitutions?"). He then goes on to discuss strict scrutiny which is what I argued about toward the end of my email ("Of course, you also continue to overlook the part that says "with a view to prevent crime". You should be required to prove that the legislation actually addresses a crime").

Maybe it's a coincidence, maybe not. I still enjoyed hearing it articulated in the Legislature.

• Moderators
[quote name="PapaB" post="1102952" timestamp="1390999762"]I'm going to give myself a pat on the back whether I deserve it or not. :unsure: If you watch the video from the proceedings, take note at 1:29:06. Senator Campfield talks about where the State Constitution doesn't give them the authority to delegate that to municipalities as I mentioned in paragraph 2 of my email ("Do you believe the Tennessee Legislature has the authority to grant any local governmental entity the power to ban any right articulated in the Federal and/or State Constitutions?"). He then goes on to discuss strict scrutiny which is what I argued about toward the end of my email ("Of course, you also continue to overlook the part that says "[i]with a view to prevent crime[/i]". You should be required to prove that the legislation actually addresses a crime"). Maybe it's a coincidence, maybe not. I still enjoyed hearing it articulated in the Legislature.[/quote] Pat pat. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Any one who votes against this is a traitor to we the people, the U.S. constitution, and liberty itself, and should become priority-one for removal from office at the earliest possible chance... if we are to improve our situation in this state.

• Like 2

It could pass 50,000 times and I guarantee the Cities will still have say so in allowing guns in their parks. Mark my word folks!

Dave

Would be interested in your reasoning on that statement.  They tried to get a "local Opt out" on Restaurant Carry, but failed, no City gets to write a local ordinance on that.

The wording of the bill is straight forward, sans amendment, (which appears to be less than likely) this has the earmarks of a substantial improvement.

The governor and his 40 paid henchmen were out in force prior to the committee meetings. It sailed in the Senate, actually the discussion was one of the best in the favor of lawful gun owners in many years in the Senate Judiciary.  Only Debbie Downers were Finney and the admin hack Overby, (who in his regular practice works for municipalities, not real Citizens).

Would be interested in your reasoning on that statement.  They tried to get a "local Opt out" on Restaurant Carry, but failed, no City gets to write a local ordinance on that.

The wording of the bill is straight forward, sans amendment, (which appears to be less than likely) this has the earmarks of a substantial improvement.

The governor and his 40 paid henchmen were out in force prior to the committee meetings. It sailed in the Senate, actually the discussion was one of the best in the favor of lawful gun owners in many years in the Senate Judiciary.  Only Debbie Downers were Finney and the admin hack Overby, (who in his regular practice works for municipalities, not real Citizens).

I for one will be totally amazed if this is actually enacted. Hope I am indeed amazed.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I emailed all of the Reps on the subcommittee, and got a personal response back from Rep. Mike carter withing minutes. He also wanted to know my stance on the issue of municipalities annexing private property without the citizens right to vote on it. I emailed him my response and he emailed me right back again to say thanks. It's refreshing to see a politician actually be involved like that,

The House version of this bill, HB1407 is coming up on the Civil Justice Sub-Committee calendar at their 3pm meeting Wednesday the 5th. On the same day, at noon, the full Civil Justice committee has HB1404 and HB1405 coming up on their calendar.