Sinkhole swallows Corvettes in Bowling Green!

My brother up in Essex Illinois has three of his Corvettes on loan to that museum out of his collection. I hope none of his cars were included in that sink hole. You can bet he is sweating blood waiting to hear if any of his cars were in it.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/24702416/vehicles-swallowed-by-sinkhole-at-national-corvette-museum

Contains a couple of pics and a list of the cars in the hole. They don't usually keep 2 of the same year and model in there so if your brother has one that matches this list, it's probably his.

I friend of mine is on the board of directors there so I just called him.  He was obviously upset but was glad no one got hurt.   He said he was just there on Monday for a meeting.   The car he donated to museum was not involved   He will likely be traveling back down to see how they will handle the damage and hopefully a recovery attempt.     

http://www.wsmv.com/story/24702416/vehicles-swallowed-by-sinkhole-at-national-corvette-museum

Contains a couple of pics and a list of the cars in the hole. They don't usually keep 2 of the same year and model in there so if your brother has one that matches this list, it's probably his.

None of my brothers cars are in that list. He has a 1955 Corvette, 1967 Split window Stingray and 1959 Corvette in there and I just called him and he is considering pulling his out before they get damaged.

• Like 1

None of my brothers cars are in that list. He has a 1955 Corvette, 1967 Split window Stingray and 1959 Corvette in there and I just called him and he is considering pulling his out before they get damaged.

I not sure, but almost postive, '67 didn't have a split window. Think only the '63s had the split back windows.

edit: oops just checked, looks like '63 through '67. My bad.

Edited by Sidinman

I not sure, but almost postive, '67 didn't have a split window. Think only the '63s had the split back windows.

edit: oops just checked, looks like '63 through '67. My bad.

Yea, early 67 was last year for them. My brother has one of every year they made them and if there was more than one body style that year he has them all. He use to own a huge body Shop in Rockdale Illinois and owned it for about 40 years and once he could afford it he began buying up wrecked Corvettes at auctions and running them through his body shop and rebuilding them with all factory parts and once done he would add them to his collection. As years went by he began buying his wife a new Corvette every year and at the end of that year he would send it through the shop and have it completely reconditioned and add it to the collection. At last count he had one of every Corvette made from 54 up. The 1954 Corvettes had 6 cylinders in them and screens over the headlights. Ford rushed the 55 T-Biirds onto the scene to compete with the Corvettes and the late 55 Corvettes has v-8's in them. At one time he offered to sell his entire collection to GM when they began looking to put the museum together but they said they could not afford it at the price he was asking but they did come and look at it. I was never that big into Corvettes but he was.

Edited by bersaguy

`63 was the only year for the split window, it was a huge flop and a fair percentage of the `63 model split windows were later modified.

This has been all over the news up here.

One of the stories I liked was about the only remaining 1983 Corvette, they went in and removed it from the building, against the advice of the structural crew there. Their reasoning? Well, it is the only 1983 Corvette in the world, of course they are going to save it.

Six of the cars were owned by the museum, the `90 and `09 ZR-1s were on loan from GM.

wow, just wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IukDWhf7U9I&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL5Syfif2eF-PwKw8EkYQ3hW12km1LzacC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBpjt02SlLw&list=PL5Syfif2eF-PwKw8EkYQ3hW12km1LzacC

Edited by vontar