Looking for freedom in a new state

Guest windy hill farm

Guest windy hill farm

Well I will start with an introduction, I moved to upstate NY almost 10 years ago and bought a farm with 204 acres and all I want to do is hunt and fish and be left alone.But the damn city politicians in this sh** hole state don't see it that way. A little over a year ago they passed some really crazy gun laws and I think it's time to start looking to relocate. The city runs everything in this state, it's just to bad because it really is beautiful country. You have to jump through hoops to get a pistol permit, the county I live in only gives permits for hunting and fishing, trapping, hiking you get the idea. You buy a new pistol it has to be listed on your permit. I moved from Ma. and had a cc permit for over 25 years without any problems. I beat them at there own games as I qualify for HR 218 and can cc anywhere in the country. So I'm looking for land or small farm in the country. I can't do city at all no chance no way. I need some land to hunt on and be left alone. Oh yeah and have at the damn Yankee HAHA :wave: . I'm pretty conservative in my views, but hell you can't help were your born. NRA member for 30 plus years, Life member for 20 plus years, avid hunter and fisherman love to shoot everything and anything. Kevin

Welcome to TGO, soon to be damn yankee (can't be a damn yankee until you move down here and don't leave).

Sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders getting out of there and all.  The only thing we ask of you is to leave the yankee ways behind and remember that's why you left there. 

You should enjoy it here.

"Send me to hell or new york city, it'd be about the same to me"

- Bocephus

• Like 4
Guest windy hill farm

Well thanks for the hospitality, but sigmtnman. I guess you don't know some of the Yankee ways. Maybe you think everybody up north is from the city but that's not the case. Most people I know would do anything to help out a friend or stranger in need, whether that was to plow out there driveway or fix a flat for someone on the side of the road, bring a old fellow some stove wood when he run's out, or look a man in eye when you shake his hand. I have done more business with a hand shake and a cold beer than with any kind of contract.That's some of the Yankee way's that I was raised with and will always have no matter where I live.  Kevin

Edited by windy hill farm

Well thanks for the hospitality, but sigmtnman. I guess you don't know some of the Yankee ways. Maybe you think everybody up north is from the city but that's not the case. Most people I know would do anything to help out a friend or stranger in need, whether that was to plow out there driveway or fix a flat for someone on the side of the road, bring a old fellow some stove wood when he run's out, or look a man in eye when you shake his hand. I have done more business with a hand shake and a cold beer than with any kind of contract.That's some of the Yankee way's that I was raised with and will always have no matter where I live.  Kevin

Hey Kevin,

Yup, those are American ways.  The yankee ways I'm referring to would be forcing things on other folks at the hand of the .gov, which it sounds like you were fortunate enough to not inherit.  It came to a head in the mid-late 1800s and has not let up since, so pardon the perception.

• Like 1
Guest PapaB

As a reformed yankee (grew up in MA and VT) I can tell you this is the kind of place you can be proud to call home. Lots of beautiful land available for sale in rural areas with good hunting and fishing. A lot of middle and east TN will remind you of upstate NY without the bad weather and horrible politics. Come on down for a visit and you'll want to stay.

Hey Kevin,

Yup, those are American ways.  The yankee ways I'm referring to would be forcing things on other folks at the hand of the .gov, which it sounds like you were fortunate enough to not inherit.  It came to a head in the mid-late 1800s and has not let up since, so pardon the perception.

Would have never thunk this had to be explained...   :usa:

• Like 1
Guest windy hill farm

Hey PapaB, thanks a visit is in order the wife has an aunt down in east Tn somewhere. I look forward to making a trip down but I am afraid I won't want to come back, it's been one cold snowy winter so far, just got another 6" Saturday probably have 3 feet of snow in the woods, can't hunt snowshoe rabbits without snowshoes and even with them you still sink with all the powder. Also how are the land prices in the rural areas, that's what brought me to northern NY $1,000.00 per acre land and less if you know where to look. Kevin

Guest PapaB

Hey PapaB, thanks a visit is in order the wife has an aunt down in east Tn somewhere. I look forward to making a trip down but I am afraid I won't want to come back, it's been one cold snowy winter so far, just got another 6" Saturday probably have 3 feet of snow in the woods, can't hunt snowshoe rabbits without snowshoes and even with them you still sink with all the powder. Also how are the land prices in the rural areas, that's what brought me to northern NY $1,000.00 per acre land and less if you know where to look. Kevin

Examples from my area include 112.76 acres for $179,900 (no restrictions, no zoning, loads of wildlife, great hunting) and 134.27 acres for $125,000 in Clay County (that would be near Dale Hollow lake near the KY border). I'm not affiliated with any realtors including the one with these listings.

Guest windy hill farm

Thanks, seems like some of the prices are about equal to what we have up here. I will have to start looking online for different areas. Thanks again Kevin

Guest windy hill farm

You are right on the weather, -7 below this morning without the wind chill that what happens when your 10 miles from Canada,as far as rimfire can't find any unless you're willing to pay about $75 a brick no thanks. As far as changing anybody no worries their, all I want to change is to live in a free state away from city politics and bullsh** gun laws that are useless. Kevin

Guest PapaB

Welcome to The South.  Become one of us but don't try to change us.

You're statement also fits America as a whole. Assimilate to where you live. I don't understand why people move to a new country, or a new part of the country, then try to change it to be more like where they came from.

You're statement also fits America as a whole. Assimilate to where you live. I don't understand why people move to a new country, or a new part of the country, then try to change it to be more like where they came from.

Is it so wrong to want boiled crawfish on the menu? :popcorn:

That so sha?  I worked out of Morgan City and Lake Charles many moons ago.

I sure miss the food...

Grew up in Houma LA; born in 63 moved to MI in 97 but have been working on boats since 83

Edited by teecro