Saw a shady deal at Academy- with pic

I don't buy much ,.22 ammo these days. I've got a few hundred rds. and don't shoot my .22 guns much anyway. I just don't enjoy shooting them much anymore. I like shooting centerfire and handloading.

Edited by roverboy

I don't think your going to find a brick and mortar chain store anywhere that sells ammo that games like these are not going on. Management doesn't care as long as it does not effect their bottom line and as long as the ammo is sold at the store price to the scalpers and rung up on the registers they could care less who gets the ammo and who gets mad................jmho

I don't think management anywhere will look too kindly on employees making side deals and lining their own pockets on the companies' time, premises and inventory.  The ones that wouold permit it don't need my business or anyone else's for that matter.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 6
Guest TankerHC
To make up for it i feel a 1 million round 22 donation to Tennessee Gun Owners Forum members is in order.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

I don't think management anywhere will look too kindly on employees making side deals and lining their own pockets on the companies' time, premises and inventory.  The ones that do don't need my business or anyone else's for that matter.

I was in retail management for 10+ years and I know the second Loss Prevention gets called it will get looked into and I bet even if they don't reprimand the employee it will put a stop to it. You never want to be on LP's radar. 

Tanker- I will suggest that to them.

Edited by LI0NSFAN
  • Like 2

I worked a deal with a local gun shop for some .22LR. They held some for me at pre crazy price. My wife has some coworkers at school that had been looking for .22 for months. The only thing they could find was the high priced internet stuff. My wife asked if I could help so I pulled some strings. The .22 is going to a group of kids from her school that are finally going to learn how to shoot. (well some of them already know how) I don't even care if I get paid back. From the outside and not knowing all the facts someone could have thought I was some A-hole reselling on the net. I rarely care what people think of me, but I know a bunch of kids that think I'm cool. 

• Like 2

I actually would have rather seen a photo of the store clerk than the buyers.

I did not want to post a pic of him because that can cause legal issues. Almost all big box retail has a no photo policy and if it shows them in a bad light they can sue the heck out of you. I worked for a retailer that sued a customer for doing that. You can take a pic of other customers and be fine but employees are hands off.

Edited by LI0NSFAN

We need more people to step up like Lionsfan!  Thank you.

You know this is a case to increase minimum wage.  These poor old counter folks who are making $7.25 an hour, they have to eat, so I am sure they have kickbacks not because they are bad folk, but because they have to eat!  They need to make $20 per hour, so they can live a comfortable life, and they will then never unhandily sell ammo again!  :rofl:

well I will have 2 cases this weekend in Knoxville but I only sell it to tgo members does that make me a bad guy to everyone else

Not at all, you are the owner. Now if one of the guys working for you hides from you the fact they put some aside for a friend then it becomes shady. If the manager had set aside those for those guys to clear up some customer issue then I would have no problem but because  the manager seemed mad and had no idea it was going on it was not right.

Edited by LI0NSFAN
  • Like 1

Not at all, you are the owner. Now if one of the guys working for you hides from you the fact they put some aside for a friend then it becomes shady. If the manager had set aside those for those guys to clear up some customer issue then I would have no problem but because the manager seemed mad and had no idea it was going on it was not right.

I see a distinction without a difference.

I see a distinction without a difference.

The guy at Academy was breaking a store policy to give an unfair advantage to those 2 guys.The manager at the store even stated that was a clear violation of store policy and I got the same response from the person at the corporate office. If David chooses to sell just to TGO members that is his right because it is his business to run they way he wants. Now if David had a rule set in place for his business that says you can't hold items for friends and family and he did I would have a problem with that.

I am more upset at Academy than the two guys and I would not have posted the pic if I had not seen them in there back when the stuff was up front or they had not made the joke about how much these go for online.

Edited by LI0NSFAN
  • Like 3

well I will have 2 cases this weekend in Knoxville but I only sell it to tgo members does that make me a bad guy to everyone else

I think its a separate issue.  If Academy had a policy that employees could hold and sell ammo to their friends, this would be a non-issue.  I actually thought about you when this first started, and about the flack you catch from people not allowed to buy the ammo you sell.  but in the end you're the owner and get the right to choose.  If Academy decides they don't care, then neither do I

The guy at Academy was breaking a store policy to give an unfair advantage to those 2 guys.The manager at the store even stated that was a clear violation of store policy and I got the same response from the person at the corporate office. If David chooses to sell just to TGO members that is his right because it is his business to run they way he wants. Now if David had a rule set in place for his business that says you can't hold items for friends and family and he did I would have a problem with that.

David's free to do whatever he pleases. But the result is still the same whether there's a store policy or not. Someone is getting shown favoritism.

Doesn't make you a bad at all.  If anything you bring normalcy to a retarted situation.  It's your ammo and your business to do as you see fit with, yet you help everyone else here out with reasonable prices.  No one else is this market it doing that and we who know you appreciate it beyond words.

• Like 1

David's free to do whatever he pleases. But the result is still the same whether there's a store policy or not. Someone is getting shown favoritism.

I would highly recommend you don't use David as an example.  He is very well-respected around here.

• Like 11
Guest lilfishbigpond
[quote name="orientalexpress" post="1120200" timestamp="1393980314"]David's free to do whatever he pleases. But the result is still the same whether there's a store policy or not. Someone is getting shown favoritism.[/quote] But it is not favoritism per se that is getting people upset. It is breaking company policy and lying to cover their tracks that is making people upset. David chooses to sell to TGO members as a matter of policy and has developed quite a loyal following here partially as a result of this decision (full disclosure: I have not bought anything from David yet). [Edit: posts above proving my point!] Academy has no such policy and individual workers are lying about stock in order to hide product from customers. This is not right. Edited by lilfishbigpond

But it is not favoritism per se that is getting people upset. It is breaking company policy and lying to cover their tracks that is making people upset. David chooses to sell to TGO members as a matter of policy and has developed quite a loyal following here partially as a result of this decision (full disclosure: I have not bought anything from David yet). [Edit: posts above proving my point!] Academy has no such policy and individual workers are lying about stock in order to hide product from customers. This is not right.

Nailed it!!!!

• Like 1

Academy is a private business, and if this is how they choose to dole out their .22 supply that is up to them.  Of course, I would be checking with the corporate office of Academy to ensure that this is their policy.  I'm betting that it isn't.