Saw a shady deal at Academy- with pic

I have more rifles/handguns chambered in .22lr than all my others combined and that really is frustrating ....

I probably haven't even shot a brick worth of .22lr ammo as of Jan 13 - today

Hopefully in the next year or two I can go back to blowing through a brick or 3 a month and not have to worry about finding replacements
  • Moderators

And lets all flag it.

Flag it? I think it would be better to have someone meet the guy but then not buy it. Show up to confirm it is him and then bail out for some reason. I'm sure someone on here has enough time for that. 

there is nothing bad to say about David, and your point does not resonate in regard to him.

He's still selling to a select group of people for whatever reason. It's his choice to do what he wants. The principle might not be the same but the end result is still the same. Certain people are getting ammo through a selective process and others aren't.

I could care less if they want to sell to a select group as David does, that's not the issue in my eyes, it's that the Academy employee flat out lied to Lionsfan when he specifically asked about the bulk ammo. Had the employee said that they already "reserved the bulk that came in for a customer that called in earlier" I'd be unhappy but not like I expect Lionsfan is catching them lying to his face.

• Like 1

I'm not saying what these guys are doing is right, although not illegal. It kindve seems like you guys are coming off as cry babies because you can't get what you want.

I have plenty of 22lr. I have not been looking for 22lr for a couple of years now because my interests have changed. I do shoot 22 from time to time but it is a lot cheaper for me to shoot 300 Blackout. It is even cheaper than pre Sandy Hook prices.

As far as legality it depends. If they are not paying income taxes on their new found wealth then they are in fact breaking federal law. I would love to see those who don't pay their taxes on the ammo they sell go spend some time in FPMITAP with a rather large cell mate.

The site has the ability to flag there for a reason and one of those reasons is for over priced items. If I think something is overpriced I flag it, be it ammo or guns or anything else one that site.

• Like 1

I have plenty of 22lr. I have not been looking for 22lr for a couple of years now because my interests have changed. I do shoot 22 from time to time but it is a lot cheaper for me to shoot 300 Blackout. It is even cheaper than pre Sandy Hook prices.

As far as legality it depends. If they are not paying income taxes on their new found wealth then they are in fact breaking federal law. I would love to see those who don't pay their taxes on the ammo they sell go spend some time in FPMITAP with a rather large cell mate.

The site has the ability to flag there for a reason and one of those reasons is for over priced items. If I think something is overpriced I flag it, be it ammo or guns or anything else one that site.

I'm not willing to cast stones at people over a few dollars taxes. I've done things to small scales in the interest of avoiding taxes (ie talking about business for 10 mins to get a dinner written off for work). I'm not willing to put myself out there as a hypocrite. I'm sure everyone on here has ordered stuff online to avoid sales tax when in fact you're supposed to pay it. So go ahead and be a hypocrite if you want.

Just to be clear this isn't directed at dolomite or necessarily anyone that I "quote" it's just a response to what was said.
Guest PaxTelemanus

I see the distinction between the situation at Academy and the guy who says he has certain ammo only for sale to forum members. And while no on here knows for sure what was going on at Academy, it certainly seems like a "shady deal" as the OP titled the thread. 

It certainly is hypocritical to get upset about Academy or any ammunition seller holding ammo for certain buyers and be perfectly fine with the guy who holds ammo for forum members. I do not see it as hypocritical to be upset about a employee violating the official policy of the employer/seller and lying about having ammo in stock. The second scenario seems to be what Lionsfan is upset about, and I think he has every right to be. 

The guy at Academy was breaking a store policy to give an unfair advantage to those 2 guys.The manager at the store even stated that was a clear violation of store policy and I got the same response from the person at the corporate office. If David chooses to sell just to TGO members that is his right because it is his business to run they way he wants. Now if David had a rule set in place for his business that says you can't hold items for friends and family and he did I would have a problem with that.

I am more upset at Academy than the two guys and I would not have posted the pic if I had not seen them in there back when the stuff was up front or they had not made the joke about how much these go for online.

[quote name="MacGyver" post="1120530" timestamp="1394042132"]Some of y'all sure know how to look a gift horse in the mouth...[/quote] Apparently some even do it while trying to purchase from him. Some people just can't be pleased. And for the record if Academy wants to burn their ammo out back that's fine with me. Just don't lie about it. Edited by Lumber_Jack
  • Like 1
Guest PaxTelemanus

My thoughts exactly. 

Apparently some even do it while trying to purchase from him. Some people just can't be pleased. And for the record if Academy wants to burn their ammo out back that's fine with me. Just don't lie about it.

Apparently some even do it while trying to purchase from him. Some people just can't be pleased. And for the record if Academy wants to burn their ammo out back that's fine with me. Just don't lie about it.

+1,000 There are some that no matter what happens they must have day to day drama to make it through the day. They constantly bitch about anybody and everything just to make themselves feel better. I guess because they are so miserable in their own skin that they must try to make everyone else around them feel the same way.

Integrity in a business is what makes a great business. If you lie, cheat or steal, like CTD and now Academy, to get ahead then you should not be in business. And if you are one of whose who thinks it is OK to lie, steal or just be an underhanded crook to get ahead then you don't deserve anything but a 8x10 cell for the rest of your life.

That brings me to something I have said over and over again. David, DLM37015, has more integrity in his little finger than 99% of the businesses operating these days. He is honest, knowledgeable and does right by his customers 100% of the time. And not only when people are watching but when no one would even know. I have seen him make a problem right even when it wasn't his problem in the first place. And why does he do this?, because he cares about his customers and considers most of them friends. And this sense of feeling welcome by David, as well as being taken care of, is what makes his customers come back. We are all exclusive members of a club called "TGO" so if he wants to pass a deal on to the members here so be it. Plenty of businesses,like Sams and Costco, do it so no one should be condemning David for trying to take care of our community. I promise you will not meet a nicer guy to do business with and he consistently has the best prices anywhere. I have known David for about 8 years now and have never heard or met a customer of his that was unhappy.

• Like 6

If I went to a gun show and saw .22 ammo for sale with a sign that said 'reserved for <some group of people>' I'd be asking how to become part of that group and thank that vendor for taking care of his supporters.

What happens at these ammo counters in the backs of stores is not the same thing.

• Like 7
  • Moderators
And something that I haven't seen brought up I don't believe. David owns his own business. He pays for the stock. It is his to decide what should be done with it. A cashier at Academy does not. Honestly though, had they not lied about it, I wouldn't necessarily even say anything wrong had happened. All they had to do was say that it was reserved. They lied about it because what they were doing wasn't so legitimate. If you haven't, just call the store and politely speak with a manager.

I spoke with a manager at Walmart a week or so ago. I could not have been more pleased. Managers, not their employees, care about business. Unless they are crooked I suppose.
  • Admin Team

I an tell you authoritatively that if I see any ammo that David makes available to our members so that they and their kids can actually shoot for sale anywhere, we're going to have a big issue!

David and I have had this conversation multiple times.  He makes this ammo available to our members so that kids can continue to learn to shoot.  And, I'd encourage you to think about that a little bit.  If you're hoarding all your ammo and not getting out and shooting - who's teaching your kids to be responsible gun owners?  Shooters can be gone in a generation if we don't support it at home and support the programs like the Boy Scouts that teach kids to shoot.

I have ammo set aside, but I also have a deal with all of my friends - that if they're not going to teach their kids how to handle a firearm, then just ask and I'll be happy to teach them how to safely interact with one.  And, if I use my last round of .22LR doing that - that's okay.

• Like 8
Guest PaxTelemanus

And telling them what exactly; that a retailer may or may not be holding ammo for specific customer(s)?

I'm glad Lionsfan posted this. It looks like something shady is going on. But we don't really know what was going on. Maybe the buyer waited had ammo on layaway from several months ago and was finally picking it up. Maybe he is a Scoutmaster and Academy has a program to supply BSA. Maybe he is friends with the employee behind the counter and the employee was holding it for him in violation of store policy. We don't know. 

Wonder if it would be worth contacting the ammo suppliers also.

. If you haven't, just call the store and politely speak with a manager.

I spoke with a manager at Walmart a week or so ago. I could not have been more pleased. Managers, not their employees, care about business. Unless they are crooked I suppose.

It sounds like a great idea but unless they are a sportsman/sportswoman you may make the situation worse. My experience was with a female Walmart manager that knows me and knows me as being a cop, I had come to their assistance many times. I asked her what time I might be able to get a box of ammo(9mm) back in Nov/Dec2012. Her response was that she doesn't care if anyone gets ammo and if problems and headaches continue she will discontinue orders. She said that she has no obligation to order and sell firearms and ammunition. Edited by Patton
  • Moderators

It sounds like a great idea but unless they are a sportsman/sportswoman you may make the situation worse. My experience was with a female Walmart manager that knows me and knows me as being a cop, I had come to their assistance many times. I asked her what time I might be able to get a box of ammo(9mm) back in Nov/Dec2012. Her response was that she doesn't care if anyone gets ammo and if problems and headaches continue she will discontinue orders. She said that she has no obligation to order and sell firearms and ammunition.

Well, I certainly see that being possible for some places, but Academy surely would turnout otherwise?