Saw a shady deal at Academy- with pic

the one here in chattanooga has been a very good place for me.  They seemed to be selling the ammo on a first come first serve basis and fairly at a fair price.   They have also been helpful in many other ways --- I wish they had reload supplies and more selection, as I would support them more.  As - is, all they really have that I want is .22 LR, the occasional target or widget, and maybe someday a gun but most  of em are kind of mid-grade stuff that I just don't want or need (im at the point where new guns are carefully selected and usually not mainstream). 

Could be that one has a bad manager or a couple of bad employees.  But I would not hold this against the chain any more than you can hold all McDonald's to blame because one moron forgot you put your fries in the bag.   If you reported it to the manager, and nothing changes, find the district manager and so on.  Someone up high cares.....  I can assure you, and if the same tale comes around enough times someone will be held accountable for it.

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 2

The Academy in question has issues. Not that long ago I posted about the sporting goods counter not answering the phone because they were BSing. How do I know? Because I called as I stood there and watched how they acted when my call rang at their counter.

Perhaps we should all make a call to corporate. I bet that would get their attention.

I did not want to post a pic of him because that can cause legal issues. Almost all big box retail has a no photo policy and if it shows them in a bad light they can sue the heck out of you. I worked for a retailer that sued a customer for doing that. You can take a pic of other customers and be fine but employees are hands off.

Do you know the clerk's name?

Do you know the clerk's name?

I do, but I will not post it. I have an open complaint with the corp office and I am giving them a chance to fix the situation. If he is fired, it would be useless to post his name. If nothing happens then I won't go back and it really doesn't matter to me anymore. Edited by LI0NSFAN
  • Like 3
Late viewing the thread; my biggest issue is the fact the employee flat out lied.

The only Knox big box I visit for ammo anymore is GM. Academy and bass pro have been spotty for me (9 .38 .357) and I'm actively boycotting all of WM.

I too am curious of what price was posted by the reseller. I also jumped on arms list and saw "rare" CCI at $8/50 with a disclaimer of no hate emails and " that's what it's worth to me since I have 5 .22lr firearms"

In sales if you base price on what you think it's worth or what you paid you're an idiot. If that how it worked I should be able to sell my 3000 tv for 1500 and it's a good value even though the tv is 4 years old.

Until people stop buying from resellers it's not going to stop.

On the flip side my buddy listed hundreds of rounds of 9mm; based his price on ammobot and got offers for 75% of fmv. So there's idiots all the way around.

The guy at Academy was just taking care of his friends. We all do that in one way or another.

No, I wouldn't risk my job to help out my friends with something as trivial as getting them an inside edge on ammo so they can mark it up and make a profit. Anyone that would is just a slimy sleazeball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

The guy at Academy was just taking care of his friends. We all do that in one way or another.

REALLY!! The way I look at it, he represents Academy. If Academy wants to be a wholesale outlet they need to limit who they sell to [those with retail tax permits]. If they want to stay a retailer they need to be fair to all their customers. I remember Midway and their ridicules shipping and handling fees every time I am in the market for something. Then I go somewhere else. Academy is now on my list.

Guest PaxTelemanus

a0d66e6e61efd470c6ccd14e444be030b1fd356f

What David does on here is nothing but well intended and he does more for this gun community than most of us do here in a lifetime.If anyone  says anything negative about him,. You will hear from me.. and you are not going to like it.. I might even get banned for it.

Nothing more terrifying than the threat of saying something mean over the internet. 

I guarantee not every one does that.  At least not in their line of work.  I received a couple of requests to hold back some product yesterday. Flat out said if you want it you gotta come on and get it while there is still some left.  

Don't justify it by thinking everyone does it.

• Like 1