Ankle Holster issues

I just had to buy it. The new G42. The other 380's I've held were just too small for my hands. And I must say that I love it. But I'm looking for an ankle holster, or I should instead call it a boot strap holster. Ive seen some that strap to the laces on your boots, but can't seem to find them now. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I figured where better to place the question about a holster than the carry forum. Thanks in advance.

Edited by BlackHawk93
I have a bulldog ankle holster and love it. Now granted it only carries a TCP .380, so size wise it's definitely not heavy or bulky. Simple elastic/Velcro band and uncle mikes type pouch on it. I honestly forget I have it on it's that comfortable.
Look at the Galco. You can get the lace in version but I have the one without it and no problems. I do have the boot extender that i had to use with certain boots. I've carried a Glock 27 running and fighting no problems. I believe it is the ankle lite model.

Ankle holsters, like shoulder holsters,  always seem like a good idea, but few stay with them.

- OS

I am really impressed with the lightness and, of course, the quality of the new G42. Most other small handguns I have tried to use/considered buying I had trouble getting my large hands around them comfortably and enjoyed shooting them. They also were either a bit on the heavy side or felt cheap. If I were to carry a backup gun ( and I feel it is important to ) it would definitely be this Glock. 

I can see where an ankle holster would become irritating if it were to be one that wrapped around my leg and rode above my shoe, but I am in the medical field and wear military type boots not only at work but when I'm not flying. I feel comfortable with them. I think the rig that would strap securely to the boot and not rub against my leg would be the only one I could probably tolerate. I can see where many might give up on them for comfort reasons. 

Do most you know who have tried them stop using them because of comfort reasons or do they have several different reasons for not sticking with it? just curious. Thank you for letting me know.

I know an old codger that claims to have worn an ankle holster for 50+ years.  He has a small business and handles large sums of cash.  I have seen the gun once and the holster.  The gun was an old smith, which appeared to have had its better days way back, and the holster sure was quite worn.  Its funny, ever since he told me, I notice he only wears bell bottom looking pants, and the pants look vintage 1970s polyester type looking pants.  Likely the old codger was telling the truth. 

I am really impressed with the lightness and, of course, the quality of the new G42. Most other small handguns I have tried to use/considered buying I had trouble getting my large hands around them comfortably and enjoyed shooting them. They also were either a bit on the heavy side or felt cheap. If I were to carry a backup gun ( and I feel it is important to ) it would definitely be this Glock. 

I can see where an ankle holster would become irritating if it were to be one that wrapped around my leg and rode above my shoe, but I am in the medical field and wear military type boots not only at work but when I'm not flying. I feel comfortable with them. I think the rig that would strap securely to the boot and not rub against my leg would be the only one I could probably tolerate. I can see where many might give up on them for comfort reasons. 

Do most you know who have tried them stop using them because of comfort reasons or do they have several different reasons for not sticking with it? just curious. Thank you for letting me know.

Comfort and accessibility.  There's plenty of more conventional carry options that conceal just as well and are way more comfortable and accessible. 

My dad carried one for 35+years. He eventually stopped I think because his back and knees aren't what they used to be. He could clear leather and dump all 5 shots from his S&W 36 in the blink of an eye. The entire time he was on the force he qualified consistently at the marksman or expert level with his little snubbie. Not typical for most people, but it worked well for him (I assume after LOTS of practice).

He did make one point about them that stuck with me though, inside left leg is a very handy place to carry while in the car. If you have your right hand below the window in your lap you can lift your leg enough and reach enough to clear the holster and have the gun in your hand without anyone being the wiser. A handy trick for a cop working a beat in the city, or an armed civilian for that matter.
  • Like 2

The one on the bottom is his ankle gun. Wore through the parkerizing in some places, the finish is a product of a long career chasing bad guys. :up: . The 66 was one if his duty weapons as well. Before that it was a model 10 he had cut back to 3". Before that it was another model 10 modified by the LAPD to shoot only double action. He was NOT a cop long enough to carry the Colt above that.

535E5954-B599-49FC-BBF7-DAA02D4DA7F2-957

I use one for about 15 years everyday on the job with a s&w model 60. Then for some reason I could not wear it any more. It drove me nuts. Don't know why. Just did. I only use high dollar name brand. Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Comfort and accessibility.  There's plenty of more conventional carry options that conceal just as well and are way more comfortable and accessible. 

With the equipment I wear and my options, an ankle holster works best for me. Especially when flying. 

My dad carried one for 35+years. He eventually stopped I think because his back and knees aren't what they used to be. He could clear leather and dump all 5 shots from his S&W 36 in the blink of an eye. The entire time he was on the force he qualified consistently at the marksman or expert level with his little snubbie. Not typical for most people, but it worked well for him (I assume after LOTS of practice).

He did make one point about them that stuck with me though, inside left leg is a very handy place to carry while in the car. If you have your right hand below the window in your lap you can lift your leg enough and reach enough to clear the holster and have the gun in your hand without anyone being the wiser. A handy trick for a cop working a beat in the city, or an armed civilian for that matter.

This 

I will sometime wear different handguns on my hip, more for seasonal time of year "cover" reasons.

But on my ankle is always my S&W Air Weight Model 37 BUG gun.  I carry it in a DeSantis Apache Ankle Holster.  The sheepskin padded lining makes it very comfortable for me.

Also agree with TrickyNicky's Dad in regard to an ankle holster being excellent for car carry.

• Like 1
An ankle holster makes sense anytime you are sitting. I wore one a little bit when I was working the streets as a cop, I came to realize I was not flexible enough to make quick draws from the ankle. In a fight I would not be able to reach it, I actually tried sparring with a friend one day. It was too easy for a suspect to grab in a scuffle, and took too long for me to grab. The weight didn't bother me and with the Galco it was comfortable. I ultimately switched my bug being in my offhand front pocket.
  • Like 1
I carried a Glock 27 on my ankle back when I was a deputy. It was comfortable but I eventually switched to carrying it in the straps on the left side of my body armor. I bought one of those Uncle Mikes IWB holsters that feel like felt and has a plastic belt clip. The pistol was very secure there. I switched for two reasons: 1) I was in the FL Panhandle and always near beach sand, swamps, heavy wooded areas, etc. I've had foot pursuits on that damn beach sand and it gets everywhere! I didn't want to worry so much about my bug getting gunked up. (2) I got where I wasn't so flexible......

Two friends of mine use ankle rigs:

- One carries a G23 in an Alessi holster - yep, a G23. 

- The other carries a G27 in a Renegade Cozy Partner.

I tried to like Galco's ankle holster for my G27 (back in the mid-90's); however, it wasn't very secure and I tossed it in favor of a OWB that Desantis was selling at the time.

• 2 months later...
Guest TennToTwo

As a motorcycle rider I find that there are not a lot of places I really can carry on my person.  I've got a ride coming up in a few weeks to Texas and just picked up a DeSantis Apache Ankle Holster.  Been wearing it around the house with my riding boot for a few days and I keep forgetting it's there.  I think it's gonna work out great for me.  I agree that access to the gun is not great but I'd rather be carrying than not. 

Ankle holsters, like shoulder holsters,  always seem like a good idea, but few stay with them.

- OS

So true.  I tried to carry a S&W 640 in a Galco Ankle Glove.  Great gun, great holster.  Love the all-steel Smith's.  Hate dragging around a boat anchor all day.  The only think I've found that works for ankle carry for me (when I just can't do anything else) is an LCP in a Galco Ankle Glove Lite.  I hardly know it's there.  Quick accessibility, though, with my limited experience, is extremely difficult.  But it works in a pinch.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a buddy that uses a paddle holster in his strong side motorcycle boot with a LCP.  Works really well while he's riding.  plus since it's a black boot it's really not noticeable if you don't already know it's there.