500,000 rounds of 22 - Brentwood, TN

Guest devline

• Admin Team

I really do wish them success.  We need fewer gun stores not less.

That said, it's so interesting to me that every gun shop in the Franklin/Brentwood area in recent years has seen no benefit in being a part of the TGO community.  This is a highly loyal bunch, and we've had some great vendors that understand that (Hero Gear of old, G&L, D&T, etc...)  I guess that says more about the community they(we) live in than it necessarily does about any of them, but I don't see how it's going to work out for them in the long run.

You can only gouge your customer base for so long before most of them go somewhere else. 

• Like 4
[quote name="Garufa" post="1124225" timestamp="1394749615"]Isn't the Franklin/Brentwood area the type where consumers generally throw money around without asking questions? I'm no expert on Middle TN but was always under that impression.[/quote] It is exactly that for the most part. I'm sure they'll have no trouble moving this overpriced crap, and it makes me sick

Isn't the Franklin/Brentwood area the type where consumers generally throw money around without asking questions?  I'm no expert on Middle TN but was always under that impression.

It is exactly that for the most part. I'm sure they'll have no trouble moving this overpriced crap, and it makes me sick

I love this stereotype. Do many of us do ok finanically, sure.  I think you will find that many of us are as discriminating as anyone when it comes to guns and ammo.  The people that are buying the ammo at this price aren't "gun" people.  They are simply people who have a gun and may happen to have a little more money (or not).  It's the same in Franklin, Nashville, Knoxville, or anywhere else.  

By this standard, everyone who lives in or near Memphis is a drug dealing murderer.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 3
Guest semiautots

If EW paid 12 cents a round they are justified.  Otherwise, they can choke.  Love or hate Wal-Mart, but Saturday morning I bought 3 boxes of Winchester 333 for $15 a box.  That's 4 cents a round.  Sam Walton is smiling somewhere.

Yeah, they are hit or miss on pricing.  This is definitely a miss.  Almost 1,000 bricks.  If they wanted to draw customers they should have done it for $35/brick and put your name on a list and you can only buy one in 30 days, and no family buys.  900 people would have been lined up out the door, and after they got their brick they could walk around the shop.

• Like 3
[quote name="Hozzie" post="1124247" timestamp="1394755370"]I love this stereotype. Do many of us do ok finanically, sure. I think you will find that many of us are as discriminating as anyone when it comes to guns and ammo. The people that are buying the ammo at this price aren't "gun" people. They are simply people who have a gun and may happen to have a little more money (or not). It's the same in Franklin, Nashville, Knoxville, or anywhere else. By this standard, everyone who lives in or near Memphis is a drug dealing murderer.[/quote] So you hate the stereotype, yet in the next breath you confirm it. Is it a stereotype if it's true? Edited by KKing
I don't know their situation and I'm certainly not sticking up for them but before you guys bash them consider how much they paid for it and where they got it from before you say anything.

Just this week I had a distributor go up on 7.62x39 (century and tulammo) by $20-30 per case just because gun shops were buying it up because of the "impending Russian embargo". Consider the profit margin. Depending in what the item is and the cost we've figured you have to mark it up at least 10% to break even (staff, rent, utilities, etc). So I'm not ready to persecute anyone just yet.

I don't know their situation and I'm certainly not sticking up for them but before you guys bash them consider how much they paid for it and where they got it from before you say anything.

Just this week I had a distributor go up on 7.62x39 (century and tulammo) by $20-30 per case just because gun shops were buying it up because of the "impending Russian embargo". Consider the profit margin. Depending in what the item is and the cost we've figured you have to mark it up at least 10% to break even (staff, rent, utilities, etc). So I'm not ready to persecute anyone just yet.

Yeah, but $70/brick?

• Like 1

That said, it's so interesting to me that every gun shop in the Franklin/Brentwood area in recent years has seen no benefit in being a part of the TGO community.  This is a highly loyal bunch, and we've had some great vendors that understand that (Hero Gear of old, G&L, D&T, etc...)  I guess that says more about the community they(we) live in than it necessarily does about any of them, but I don't see how it's going to work out for them in the long run.

This is so true. I drive past 3 gun shops to do business at D&T because they have treated me so well in general and especially as a member of TGO.

• Like 5

This is so true. I drive past 3 gun shops to do business at D&T because they have treated me so well in general and especially as a member of TGO.

Yup. For me its Nashville Armory (though D&T and G&L are also tops) I can be at Franklin Gun Shop or either EW location in 1/2 the time but what's the point? I'm not tacticool enough for the EW crowd and apparently not stupid enough either. Same with FGS, I simply don't feel like I'm valued as a customer there so why give them my money?
  • Like 1
I had planned on stopping in at EW in Franklin tomorrow to see what they had for reloading supplies. Heard they had some good prices on stuff. The price on that 22lr is making me reconsider stopping and spending any money.

If they had a very small profit margin on it then maybe, but I am not going to bet on less than a 5cent per round markup.

So you hate the stereotype, yet in the next breath you confirm it. Is it a stereotype if it's true?

I didn't confirm anything.  The implication by the posts before me that people have money (apparently because they simply live in Franklin/Brentwood) and therefore don't care or are too stupid to know they are paying too much for anything was the intent of the previous statement.  Me saying that some do well financially doesn't confirm that stereotype one bit.   

[quote name="Hozzie" post="1124247" timestamp="1394755370"]By this standard, everyone who lives in or near Memphis is a drug dealing murderer.[/quote] I must not be doing this correctly- I haven't moved any product..... IMHO- this is still a free market economy and they can charge whatever they want for their ammo. I don't have to buy it.
  • Like 1

I must not be doing this correctly- I haven't moved any product..... IMHO- this is still a free market economy and they can charge whatever they want for their ammo. I don't have to buy it.

Not sure I follow.  I wasn't referring to EW.  I was referring to the stereotype that people from Franklin/Brentwood all have too much money to have any sense.  I don't really care what EW charges for their ammo.  People can decide to shop there or not on their own.

Edited by Hozzie
[quote name="Hozzie" post="1124268" timestamp="1394758223"]I didn't confirm anything. The implication by the posts before me that people have money (apparently because they simply live in Franklin/Brentwood) and therefore don't care or are too stupid to know they are paying too much for anything was the intent of the previous statement. Me saying that some do well financially doesn't confirm that stereotype one bit. [/quote] Relax man, I didn't take it he meant they were too stupid, I just took it he meant they had enough disposable income that they wouldn't question it. Which I would still wager is the majority like I said. I was joshin ya, no need to get wound up Edited by KKing
[quote name="Hershmeister" post="1124290" timestamp="1394759665"]Williamson County has the highest avg. income of any county in TN.[/quote] Seems I need to move north a county or two, no? Edited by KKing
Guest TresOsos

No worries.  I am not really wound up, but I think the stereotype that I refer to does in fact exist for most people who aren't from this area.  

He just means that's where the hifalutin people live.

• Admin Team

I live in Brentwood, and there are a lot of people with stupid money here.  And, there are plenty of places that cater to exactly that crowd. 

There are also some great folks here!  Like anywhere, there's some truth to the old statement that if you don't look deep enough, you'll find exactly what you were expecting to see.

At my daughters school, there aren't nearly as many kids on free or reduced lunch as in other areas of metro - but it's higher than you might think around 25-30%.  We're on the Davidson county side of Brentwood, so our school is actually pretty diverse.

There are rich and middle class and even some who are truly poor, here.  Luckily for most of us, the rich do a pretty good job walling themselves up in their gated enclaves.  But, anytime any of you are here, come on down and shoot me a note.  Let's have some tacos or something :)

• Like 2

It is time everyone just quits shooting .22LR until the madness ends.  No one is doing anyone a favor by perpetuating these kinds of prices.  That ammo is barely worth .04/rd.  I paid stupid prices for some Eley and other subsonic "match" ammo, but only once cause I had never seen the particular brand before. But I am done, stick a fork in me.  "Gun" guys stabbing other gun guys in the back.  Sickening...