HOA says not guns allowed in Nashbor Viliage??????

We need to rally up and get on the horn regarding HB 1399 by Matheny SB 1612 by Green: Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, declares that the general assembly occupies the whole field of regulation of firearms, ammunition, components of firearms or ammunition, or combinations thereof, prohibiting local regulation. - Amends TCA Section 39-17-1314.

Only thing left of worth in the GA this year, may, just might, possibly has a chance to not get fiscal noted out.

Or else what? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Article 1 § 8. TN Declaration of Rights

Deprivation of life, liberty or property under law; due process

That no man shall be taken or imprisoned, or disseized of his freehold, liberties or privileges, or outlawed, or exiled, or in any manner destroyed or deprived of his life, liberty or property, but by the judgment of his peers or the law of the land.

The HMO is the peer this clause protects, could be your City Council or County Commission, if they set up rules, and you signed up to obey them, you are SOL.  Private Rental Property Owners in TN get to decide if their tenants can keep weapons, HMO's evidently get to make those choices for us as well.  They will get the Sheriff or PD top put your stuff on the curb if you break their rules...

Edited by Worriedman
Sounds like they are making these rules retroactively. This is the reason why HOAs are awful. They sound great in theory, but then they end up being another government organization that takes your money and make judgements that suit only their own interests, not the payee. The people that run this HOA company should be hung for their attempts at violating these people. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 6

Sounds like they are making these rules retroactively. This is the reason why HOAs are awful. They sound great in theory, but then they end up being another government organization that takes your money and make judgements that suit only their own interests, not the payee. The people that run this HOA company should be hung for their attempts at violating these people. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed.

Officials with Ghertner and Company, the property manager at Nashboro Village, would not make an on-camera comment about the gun policy but said they plan on changing the rule soon to allow firearms on the property.

Sounds like its over.

However, they would make it illegal to fire those guns, which residents say is still unconstitutional.

Cranking off rounds in the city is a constitutional right? Interesting. biggrin.gif

It’s also interesting that a representative of an HOA thinks they get to decide what’s “illegal”. That's just as stupid.

Neighbors said they understand the gun rule is meant to keep criminals out of Nashboro Village but they don't believe that prohibiting firearms is the best way to do that.

I doubt the rule has anything to do with criminals or safety and suspect it gets them a lower rate on their insurance.
  • Like 1
[quote name="6.8 AR" post="1128329" timestamp="1395498438"]Which is probably illegal, since it would impair your bundle of ownership privileges to the point of constitutionality. Not sure, but that should be tested in the courts. That's hardly the proper use of a restrictive covenant, I think.[/quote]while I don't disagree with you at all, I have to wonder.....if they agree to it does that change it. Probably doesn't change the legality of it but look at what is happening in other states where they can get enough people to agree with unconstitutional laws. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee
[quote name="UncleJak" post="1128332" timestamp="1395498705"]while I don't disagree with you at all, I have to wonder.....if they agree to it does that change it.Probably doesn't change the legality of it but look at what is happening in other states where they can get enough people to agree with unconstitutional laws.Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee[/quote] On one hand I'd say anyone stupid enough to agree to those terms deserves to have their rights taken away, but on the other hand, if you want to live in a halfway decent neighborhood in many areas of this country, you're gonna be under an HOA, and if these management companies are controlled at a national level, it makes it like a backdoor way to strip rights away. Very slippery indeed. Kind if a microcosm of US society, where it's your neighbors who want to tell you that you can't have guns, alcohol, religious beliefs and so on. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
6.8 has a good point about not reading the papers completely. I asked once about that; noting that it is impossible to read and know the master deed prior to closing. Some master deeds are 6 inches thick! The answer I was given: " ignorance of the rules and regs is no excuse. Ultimately they are responsible for knowing the rules" I'm so glad I don't live in a HOA controlled community. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

This could be an economic boom for the criminal element.

I'm guessing if you have a HOA, you are not living in the low rent district and probably got some nice stuff, easily converted to cash.

If the BGs know they have little to no risk of being confronted by armed home owners in an upper class neighborhood, full of brand name electronics, jewelry, clothing, etc, even if you had half a brain, that is where I go - it's job security.

"Come rob us, we won't hurt or deter you because we can't, but you just wait until the police arrive..."

I am 100% an under the radar guy. I think I do a good job conceal carry, I don't have NRA or CZ stickers on my car, so while I don't announce I am gun owning, gun toting nutjob, I am certainly not going to advertise I have no guns to invite a predator into my space.

HOAs are toxic to Ham Radio also.

You sign the contract, and you have signed rights away.

Funny story - I built my house about 20 years ago, and proceeded to put up 3 radio towers (and later a 4th).  The HOA went absolutely apesh!t.  I let them rail and threaten me about it for ~18 months, before pointing out to them that they had not read their own paperwork (I had).  My part of the hood was never annexed, and I was ~150' outside of the HOA bounds. I am still pariah.

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 4
I have never understood why anyone would purchase property in one of these areas to begin with. I thought property rights were property rights. I own this property and if I want to park a Sherman tank in my drive it's my business. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......
  • Like 1
[quote name="jtmaze" post="1128400" timestamp="1395509549"]I have never understood why anyone would purchase property in one of these areas to begin with. I thought property rights were property rights. I own this property and if I want to park a Sherman tank in my drive it's my business. JTMWe the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......[/quote] Depends on where you live. Looking at property outside the city in the burbs in many places around the country, the only nice neighborhoods have HOAs. The ones that don't aren't places where you'd want to raise your kids. My wife and I are going through that now and are having to decide which is more important. Wouldn't life be grand if you could find a place that suited all your needs and allowed you do be close to work? Not everyone has that luxury. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
[quote name="TMF" post="1128413" timestamp="1395511741"]Depends on where you live. Looking at property outside the city in the burbs in many places around the country, the only nice neighborhoods have HOAs. The ones that don't aren't places where you'd want to raise your kids. My wife and I are going through that now and are having to decide which is more important. Wouldn't life be grand if you could find a place that suited all your needs and allowed you do be close to work? Not everyone has that luxury. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote] I drive 38 miles each way. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......
  • Like 1
[quote name="jtmaze" post="1128426" timestamp="1395513813"]I drive 38 miles each way. JTMWe the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......[/quote] Well that's the thing, life is a trade off. In bigger cities that commute may be twice that to get somewhere you can afford that meets your needs. Not everyone wants to spend 2 hours or more of their day in a car just so they have the ability to park a Sherman tank on the lawn. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lol. Everyone needs a Sherman. A neighbor (3 miles) actually has a 37mm in his. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union...... Edited by jtmaze
[quote name="jtmaze" post="1128429" timestamp="1395514079"]Lol. Everyone needs a Sherman. A neighbor (3 miles) actually has a 37mm in his. JTMWe the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......[/quote] Funny you mention it, I owned a Sherman for a short period. Even had a .30 cal mounted in the front port. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk