TN ranked the 10th dumbest state in the US

Sam1

I would list the dumbest states as those who continue to elect politicians who legislate their rights away for the "common good", continue to raise their taxes which never really improves their state and regulates the hell out of business. Why they keep doing that is beyond me.

Intelligence is important. Determination and perseverance to apply that intelligence to the purpose of bettering one's self and one's community is just as important. Rank that and we'll talk. I take no offense to an honest assessment, but if we care, we ought to be doing our own assessment.

In all honesty I believe intelligence comes in many different forms and all of them are not from books and colleges or universities. A lot of the more people that are successful in their lives have High School Diplomas that never saw the inside of the higher education facility. I know a few people that are worth millions and are friends of mine and a few of them don't even have High School diplomas. They went to the School of Hard Knocks. Anyone ever heard of that school? I will not brag about myself but the 8 or 10 few years before I became disabled and then dealt with a few tragedies my life that ended up almost bankrupting me I was averaging $110,000.00+ every year income on a high school education. Then went to the School of Hard Knock that does not come from books but comes from using your brawn more than your brain but even that school makes you use your brain also. My oldest sons favorite song was " A Country Boy Can Survive" and that song has more truth to it them most folks give it credit for. How many folks living in Tennessee that grew up living here could survive verses a person living in a High Rise Flat that costs them $2,500.00 a month in New York if the electricity disappeared? How many folks that grew up here could survive if all at once the water companies could not provide water to the High Rises in New York or Chicago. How many folks here could survive if most of the grocery stores shelves began to not get refilled? The list is long folks of things that could happen that would cause a shear panic in New York, Chicago or other heavily populated areas if all at once lost all their way of life was all but gone. How much book learning will help them survive? There is about 80% of people living in New York that have never seen anything closely related to a forest beyond Central Park or Hyde park in Chicago. My guess is it won't take long for the Rat population to begin to drop in the major cities. I am not saying that maybe for some folks a college education might work but for the last 10 years or so only about 20% of graduates can find work in their fields and they are not making what those same jobs paid when they entered college. Our President continuously preaches get a college education even though there are no jobs out there for them but get that student loan even though it may take you the rest of your life to pay it off working at Burger King or KFC. Last time I looked the students that once wanted to become doctors is down by about 55% since the ACA was created and many students changed their majors to another one and will no longer follow their dreams of becoming doctors. Many of the now are looking at Law degrees as their majors. I could probably write a book on this but gonna get off my soap box with this one thought and that is  Yep, A Country Boy Can Survive!!! So just let the people doing these poles believe what they want because many of ya'll like myself did attend the School of Hard Knocks and we know how smart we are so let them keep guessing all they want.......... :up: :up: ..................jmho

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 1

I guess one thing to compare by is that Tennessee had an average SAT score of 1709 while the national average for the same year (2013) is 1498. We actually far outperformed some of the perceived "more intelligent" states (Cali clocked in at 1505 - just sayin'). Cant always base it on college degrees because of personal choices. 

Maybe we ain't so damned dumb after all?

http://testprep.about.com/od/satscores/l/bl_SAT_Scores_By_State.htm

Edited by Good_Steward
  • Like 1

I guess one thing to compare by is that Tennessee had an average SAT score of 1709 while the national average for the same year (2013) is 1498. We actually far outperformed some of the perceived "more intelligent" states (Cali clocked in at 1505 - just sayin'). Cant always base it on college degrees because of personal choices. 

Maybe we ain't so damned dumb after all?

http://testprep.about.com/od/satscores/l/bl_SAT_Scores_By_State.htm

I think you nailed it. The cost of a college education is a real problem. I know I couldn't afford more than 2 years when I was trying to go back in the 70's.

And while I'm not fan of Haslam, I think his higher ed initiative is a good idea.

Guest Lester Weevils

That is a shame the SAT scoring has changed, making it no longer absolute value comparable to previous generations. The percentiles are not intergenerational comparable, because if one generation has got smarter or dumber, then it will still show a normal distribution.

In the stone age when I took the SAT, max score was 1600, anybody scoring near 1300 was in the 99th percentile, and if you got 1400 or better then caltech and MIT were sending you recruitment letters.

Guest Lester Weevils

Thinking more about it, wonder if SAT scores are valid in state by state comparison, today or in the past?

Back in the day, not all students would take the SAT. Only the ones who thought there was some odds of going to college. Because the test was rather expensive, would wager that hardly any po kids took the test unless they figgered they were smart enough to have a chance at a scholarship.

So the median score didn't measure anything about all high school students in general, but only the (probable minority) who took the test. One might speculate that the median 50th percentile score among those who took the test, would be a higher absolute score than if ALL STUDENTS had taken the test.

Therefore, even today, if rates of test-taking vary by state-- Perhaps some states encourage even students who are dumb as a stump to take the SAT, and perhaps other states do not. In that case, states which have a higher percentage of students who take the SAT, would be expected to have a lower average SAT score, and states where only "obviously college bound" kids take the test, would be expected to have a higher average state SAT score?

A college degree or the lack of one is not a measure intelligence.  I have known a number of educated people who do not know how to think or reason; they lack wisdom and understanding. Many allow their emotions to control their thinking which will end poorly in the long run.  They think foolishly and an consequently act foolishly.  Likewise I have know a number of people who have no college education or did not complete it that have done well for themselves and others; some have pursued wisdom and been blessed with it.  A college degree use to provide some indication that  one could study, memorize things, and hopefully apply critical thinking skills but sadly that is frequently no longer true.

Guest Lester Weevils

I generally despised college, though despised high school even more. Took years going then dropping out to graduate, and finally gutted it thru because at the time, regardless of major, at least a bachelors degree was considered to be "minimal proof that you are not an idjit."

Dunno if it remains so today. Judging by some threads here about computer certifications versus job availability, maybe pieces of paper are still essential "proof you are not an idjit" so far as personnel managers go.

The wizard of oz made the straw man wise by bestowing upon him a diploma.

Edited by Lester Weevils

Yep, born and raised in a small community over by the Ocoee River. I had an outstanding childhood.

Spent many a weekend on the Ocoee up around the blue hole and camping up in Greasy Creek and Chilhowee Lake when I was a young man. Not too far from where I grew up in Charleston, TN. 

Edited by Good_Steward