Official TGO "Look what I did to my finger" Thread *GRAPHIC*

I can play this game. Ratchet slipped while trying break one of the caliper bolts on my truck lose. I never realized that the fingernail goes almost all the way to the knuckle. Brake line fitting sliced through it and took out a good chunk. Took ages to grow back. adume9u8.jpg And this was a lesson. Do not put knives in the sink, especially under plates, and doubly so a week after I've sharpened them. The woundseal it took to stop the bleeding made it look normal shaped, but that knife went through nail and flesh like butter and gave me a nice flat tip to my finger. uhy3egaj.jpg

Took the end of my thumb off with a meat cleaver many years ago. Still hurts sometimes and the finger nail is so tough it is hard to clip.  15 years cutting meat, I have a lot of scares to prove the pain but no pics, sorry.

[quote name="45guy" post="1152953" timestamp="1401313933"]Took the end of my thumb off with a meat cleaver many years ago. Still hurts sometimes and the finger nail is so tough it is hard to clip. 15 years cutting meat, I have a lot of scares to prove the pain but no pics, sorry.[/quote]I was a butcher too. Got my thumb in the Hobart ban saw once. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

Ok, I told myself I would not do this but there are plenty here who haven't seen it. BTW, these are separate incidents. I have also smashed my thumb to oblivion but no pictures of it but I did figure out how to sleep with my hand up in the air like a 3rd grader trying to get the teacher's attention.

My thumb met a very sharp knife and required a trip to the ER.
ec4c0fb7.jpg
2479c38e.jpg
96caac55.jpg
6e39539d.jpg
5ff54880.jpg
This one my thumb got sucked into a router bit and I decided I didn't need to go to the hospital even though I probably should have.
thumbday2-3.jpg
thumbday2-2.jpg

My poor thumb doesn't even look right and the skin grows all kinds of funky.

Hang in there I know your pain.

• Like 1

I originally went to college, concentrating in culinary arts...Cut myself quite often, and at least once down to the bone. Between that, fast food, and restoration work, I learned the easiest way to not hurt yourself is to not do anything that involves sharp objects or high tension/moving parts. Since this is generally impossible, make sure you have the toughest tools, sharpest knives, and a high threshold for pain in addition to iron stomach and good humor....because when something does happen, regardless of how careful you are, the only things left to do is laugh and learn.

• Like 2

Ouch,  Ouch.  Need I say OUCH! anymore?

I've been lucky to not have the misfortunes of getting my fingers cut up near as bad as the ones above. But broke my left middle finger right before new years back in 2011. I tell ya, it isn't fun to be sitting in the ER in Fayetteville(TN) for near 7 hours before someone can see you.

How it happened? well i was in a hurry and had my truck and trailer( utility trailer) parked on a slight incline and the hitch to the trailer wouldn't go over the ball.  I had already fastened the tow chains to the hitch and wasn't thinking when i pulled up on the hitch to reposition it ( here's where gravity played it's part). Getting my middle finger pinched between a chain and the metal tubing on the trailer... OUCH. Aside from other choice words at the time. Just getting in a hurry and not thinking.

Just think, most of these accidents would neverhappen if we all stopped and thought before acting...

No pic, but I cut my finger to the bone once. I had a cheap folding knifge, and sharpened it using an air compressor grinder. As typical with a cheaply made knife, it had a cheap plastic lock - which slipped and closed on my finger. I still have a half inch scare across the top of my finger. We could see white, I assume that was bone, but even though it probably needed stitches I just glued it shut and slapped a bandaid on.

Cut myself many times while processing venison. And of course smashed fingers with a hammer. But that knife closing on my finger is the worst hand damage. Edited by jonathon1289

Crushed my knuckle 25 years ago. One surgery to insert pins. One surgery to remove the pins. Occupational therapy started the day after the pins were removed to prevent the tendon from getting caught up in the scar tissue. I was told I might need a joint replacement after 10 years. I am way past my warranty. raty6e8e.jpg

I was a butcher too. Got my thumb in the Hobart ban saw once.

Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

Never got bit by the band saw. Those cuts are bad. Did get bit by a slicer one time, clean fast cut. I heard of a guy that got his hand caught in a grinder one time. He could not reach the power switch. Ended up watching his hand come out of the grinder end like ground beef.
Guest Lester Weevils

Shoulda took a picture when I shot a finish nail all the way thru the tip bone of the index finger. Apparently went thru bone and all. Whooda thunk a little porter cable air nail gun would be that strong? Probably didn't take a picture being ashamed of doing something that stoopid. Was glue+nailing quarter inch plywood on the back of a cabinet, missed the cabinet with one shot and it went thru the thin plywood then thru the finger. Was moving the guide finger away before hitting the trigger on the other mess of nails, but got going too fast and forgot to move the finger, and also missed the wood of the cabinet side.

Just wait till the TGO pro tech group buy knives come in. Expect new pictures on the hour.

It won't just be fingers, I guarantee it.

Exactly why I WILL NOT be carrying an auto knife in my front pocket, lol Edited by Batman
  • Like 2

I worked with a guy who carried an automatic in his back pocket. We had just been issued brand Expeditions, we got them a couple of days earlier, and they all had electric leather seats with heaters. As I walked by one the guy was frantically doing something inside the driver's door. I asked him what was going on and he said his knife opened up. I asked if he got cut and he said no but told me to take a look at the seat. Turns out when he went to slide into the driver's seat his knife automatic opened he sliced the seat from the outside edge to the middle of the seat. He was trying to use tan colored duct tape to hide the 12" gash across the seat. Needless to say he got in some serious trouble by the bosses.

[quote name="Batman" post="1154183" timestamp="1401597552"]Exactly why I WILL NOT be carrying an auto knife in my front pocket, lol[/quote] As long as it has a good lock it should be fine. Same with assisted. The only assisted knife that has ever opened on me was a cheap Kershaw. Then I had a Leek. The Leek's lock eventually broke. Been carrying a Benchmade Mini-Barrage for close to a year. Stopped using tha lock after an hour. First assisted-open that I've ever felt safe carrying unlocked. Sent from somewhere in the cosmos using magic...and bacon.
Guest Cazador

[URL=http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/darnyankee1/media/apgross_zpsdf55525f.jpg.html]apgross_zpsdf55525f.jpg[/URL]

Not mine but looks quite painful. Don't know the background either, but I would say where ever he put his hand he will never go near it again.

I don't want this thread to turn into gory pictures we've come across on the net, we can all find those easy enough.

Just post your own mishaps please.

Not mine but looks quite painful. Don't know the background either, but I would say where ever he put his hand he will never go near it again.

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...